Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Jan 29, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #1,486 of 1,816
Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #1,487 of 1,816
I now have received the MS-TFB-2-MkII Mic with XLR cables and ordered the Behringer U-Phoria.

Will the mic need Phantom power when used with the XLR?

Feb 1, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #1,488 of 1,816
I now have received the MS-TFB-2-MkII Mic with XLR cables and ordered the Behringer U-Phoria.

Will the mic need Phantom power when used with the XLR?
Check the product page or manual but I'd think the XLR connectors should have built-in convertor to work with phantom power. They microphone capsules themselves work with 3-10 volts and will fry with 48 volts phantom power.

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #1,489 of 1,816
Check the product page or manual but I'd think the XLR connectors should have built-in convertor to work with phantom power. They microphone capsules themselves work with 3-10 volts and will fry with 48 volts phantom power.
I received official reply.
With the XLR connectors they use Phantom power (they convert it)

Without they fry under Phantom power

Feb 6, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #1,490 of 1,816
Headphone amplifier it is then. Any recommendations?

There are option’s that have both DAC and Amp in one are they any good or standalone amp best for me?

I’m looking at the fiio k5 pro
I use the Atom Amp+ by JDS Labs and would definitely recommend that. Fairly cheap compared to a lot of amps that output similar amounts of power, more than enough for me to drive my HD8XXs, so I think it would fare well with your pair.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #1,491 of 1,816
I have my HD 800 connected directly to the motherboard and I'm getting just barely enough volume although I don't like to listen so loud. Previously I had ODAC+02 combo but since motherboard's audio drivers are 7.1, I don't need to use virtual cable or any other hacks to make surround sound work. If I ever find my self wanting more volume I'll just buy a headphone amp and connect that to motherboard instead of amp+dac combo. External dacs don't do anything special that a half-way decent motherboard's dac wouldn't do.

Feb 8, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #1,492 of 1,816
In the meantime I have my setup up and running.

Behringer U-Phoria with the Sound professionals mics.

First measurements work like a charm.
Started to create AutoEQ convolution filters.
Might give the Impulcifer a try on the weekend. Just need a new cable to connect the U-Phoria to the speakers first

Feb 9, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #1,493 of 1,816
I have my HD 800 connected directly to the motherboard and I'm getting just barely enough volume although I don't like to listen so loud. Previously I had ODAC+02 combo but since motherboard's audio drivers are 7.1, I don't need to use virtual cable or any other hacks to make surround sound work. If I ever find my self wanting more volume I'll just buy a headphone amp and connect that to motherboard instead of amp+dac combo. External dacs don't do anything special that a half-way decent motherboard's dac wouldn't do.
yeah i can relate, dacs wont do anything to the tonality, only good quality amps does change the audio in an audible way... can i ask what motherboard does have the 7.1 chip integrated? i'm interested

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #1,494 of 1,816
yeah i can relate, dacs wont do anything to the tonality, only good quality amps does change the audio in an audible way... can i ask what motherboard does have the 7.1 chip integrated? i'm interested
I think most of the modern gaming targeted motherboards do 7.1 and have done for a decade now. I have ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING. IIRC I had to install the prorietary audio drivers though.

Feb 12, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #1,495 of 1,816
Quick tip - if anyone wants to manipulate the Impulcifer results and are comfortable using VST plugins, Melda MConvolutionMB is very powerful:
- lets you mix different impulses by frequency bands (with lots of cross-over options)
- can apply a parametric EQ to each impulse
- lets you apply a real-time envelope (ie decay) to each impulse, this can be over all frequencies, or just select frequencies
- preview a sonogram of the impulses
- export combined impulse response

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #1,496 of 1,816
One problem that I've been having is that the mic capsules get turned and twisted from their neutral position on the foam earplugs due to the cable not being flexible enough and forcing the capsule to tilt. Here's what I did to fix that:
20220110_153018.jpg

Are these the MS-TFB-2? The capsules look mightily similar to the POM-2730L-HD-R that I have (and are much cheaper)! Though the specs are slightly (but only very slightly) different.
https://puiaudio.com/product/microphones/pom-2730l-hd-r

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #1,497 of 1,816
guys i've experienced a weird thing: i normally use my best hrir with the new topping a90d that's supposed to be a very good amp, yesterday i tried the same hrir with my "old" jds atom+ and i experienced a whole new level of spaciality that's missing with my a90d, why this is happening? they both are supposed to be neutral amps but i think the jds is more true to the listening experience with my recorded hrir but i'm wondering why this is happening

could a "colorful" amp influence in a negative way to the overall quality of the listening experience with the recorded hrir?

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #1,498 of 1,816
Mar 25, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #1,499 of 1,816
Pretty much unhappy with headphones correction (especially regarding LR adjustments) but very happy with captured BRIR! Maybe should eq cans To some target curve (my hd650 seems closed to harman 2018 no bass, AutoEq oratory1990 measurements and target as well) and that's it? Btw using Jbl 305 mkii in well treated room at 1 meter.

Mar 25, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #1,500 of 1,816
Pretty much unhappy with headphones correction (especially regarding LR adjustments) but very happy with captured BRIR! Maybe should eq cans To some target curve (my hd650 seems closed to harman 2018 no bass, AutoEq oratory1990 measurements and target as well) and that's it? Btw using Jbl 305 mkii in well treated room at 1 meter.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by being unhappy with the headphone correction but being happy with the BRIR. The BRIR does headphone correction unless one disables headphone compensation. If you don't like the resulting frequency response of the BRIR then I would recommend trying different target responses or just straight-up EQing the BRIR wave file directly.

Since you're having issues with left/right balance, have you tried using the various --channel_balance options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back