Record of the Year?
Nov 27, 2004 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
According to my ipod anyway as the most listened to

3. The Roots- The Tipping Point
2. Interpol- Antics
1. Wilco- A Ghost Is Born.

I agree with my ipod's choice for #1. It's my favorite CD this year. #2 by personal preference would be Elvis Costello's "The Delivery Man"

anybody else care to weigh in?

Nov 27, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 100
I would have to go with: Arcade Fire - "Funeral"

This album so totally rocks my socks...continuously.

In fact, its rocking them right now...

Nov 27, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 100
Damn, I was going to start this thread
biggrin.gif

Well, the year's not over yet, but for me it would have to be:

Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere
To quote the Guardian - "Each track is astonishing"

Runner up is The John Butler Trio - Sunrise Over Sea

Honorable mention goes to Rammstein for Reise Reise - I know, I know
rolleyes.gif
but I can't stop listening to it.

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 100
The Walkmen - Bows + Arrows

runner-up: Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands / Nino Rojo

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 100
Von Bondies - Pawn Shoppe Heart

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vosper
Honorable mention goes to Rammstein for Reise Reise - I know, I know
rolleyes.gif
but I can't stop listening to it.

OMG.....just bought that last week and completely forgot about it.
tongue.gif

Very good industrial metal although this time around more mid tempo in style and darkly atmospheric.

The new Ministry "house of mole" is great comeback for AL, best work since "psalm 69"

Also new Assemlage 23 "storm" is pretty good but not best album by group.

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
... #2 by personal preference would be Elvis Costello's "The Delivery Man"

Holy cow! How did I miss this?!?! Oh, I know how, it was called Hurricane Ivan, which happened just 10 days before the release of "The Delivery Man". I've just ordered my copy from amazon. Thanks for including the honorable mention, I can't wait!

My #1, which is probably more of a sentimental vote than anything, is Brian Wilson's "Smile". What an amazing story! The guy went back to the drawing board and finished a project that he started 37 years earlier, and one that had haunted him ever since. It took a lot of courage, and with a group of excellent session musicians, the end product is quite good IMO, although Brian quite 'out of voice' at times.

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 100
i've really been liking the killers....and yeah, franz ferdidand has been good too....not audiophile quality at all is the soundtrack from "anchorman" which is hilariously funny, with commentary at the beginning of each track from will ferrell.

Nov 27, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vosper
The John Butler Trio - Sunrise Over Sea

I really didn't know that JBT had made it over there in the US, they a house hold name or just got an underground kinda following?

I would have to give it to Velvet Revolver - Contraband
smily_headphones1.gif

With runner up going to RHCH - Live at hyde park (kinda qualifies I spose
tongue.gif
)

Cheers
-jake

Nov 27, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #12 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenwik
I would have to go with: Arcade Fire - "Funeral"

That one and Franz Ferdinand are probably my top two, with the Alexander soundtrack (Vangelis) up there in the non-mainstream category.

Though my overall favorite, which I'm sure nobody's ever heard, is the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OST2, composed by Yoko Kanno. Ridiculously good.
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 100
Picked up Arcade Fire and The Von Bondies CD last night after the listing here and a desire to broaden my music collection a bit.

The Von Bondies rocks! I've been listening to it all morning. Arcade Fire does not seem quite as easy to get in to but sounds very interesting.

Two good picks, Thanks

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #15 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
My #1, which is probably more of a sentimental vote than anything, is Brian Wilson's "Smile". What an amazing story! The guy went back to the drawing board and finished a project that he started 37 years earlier, and one that had haunted him ever since. It took a lot of courage, and with a group of excellent session musicians, the end product is quite good IMO, although Brian quite 'out of voice' at times.

You know, sometimes you miss the obvious pick. I'll have to retract my deserving nomination of the Von Bondies and re-nominate Smile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back