Record Cleaners?
Jul 7, 2009 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jesselussier

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. Been getting back into vinyl lately. Have some older records that are dirty. What does everyone recommend for cleaning? Ideally I'd like to spend no more than $100, but the cheaper the better.
wink_face.gif

Thanks.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 14
Brushes don't really clean your records - they just move the dust and dirt around. To really clean them, you need to use a record cleaning machine. If you have just a handful of albums, see if you can pay a local dealer to clean them for you.

The least expensive machine is the Record Doctor III. Here's a link:
Nitty Gritty - Record Doctor III Record Cleaning Machine-Audio Advisor

I owned one of these for many years with good results. Now I own a Loricraft.

Buying a cleaning machine is among the best investments you can make towards you vinyl listening enjoyment
happy_face1.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 14
There is one regular poster here (not going to say who
wink.gif
) who'll suggest that you use the uber expensive and audiophile-grade sink and water.

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

I tried the Nagaoka 20 years ago. It picks up surface dirt, but it can also push dirt deeper into the grooves where it can't reach. It doesn't work on oily/chemical grime and needs to be washed after every record to work 100%.

Donald North is right. I haven't found anything that works as well as a proper RCM. I have a 10+ year old VPI 16.5 and it was one of my best investments. My friend has a Knosti. It works for lightly soiled records but is not remotely as effective on quite dirty ones. He brings his recent purchases over to my house for a first cleaning and subsequently he uses his Knosti. As well as other differences, you can't substitute for the vacuum suction for dirt removal.

If it's not practical or in your budget right now, I would recommend saving up for a proper RCM and washing your records by hand. It would be more work, but almost as good as a Knosti. Here is a link to various methods of hand washing.

How to Clean LP Records and CDs

There's also a thread at Audiogon on steam cleaning (which I've never tried).

AudiogoN Forums: Deep Cleaning Records With Steam?

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd save up and buy a used VPI. I LOVE my 16.5, which can be had for $400 on a (very) good day. I used to clean by hand with MoFi brushes and some various liquids, but the vacuum makes a tru night/day difference.

X2 on the VPI 16.5!
Great machine!!

vpi165820largevj1.jpg

Jul 7, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 14
there's also some foam spray can that you let dry on the record, and when you pull it out it removes all the dirt
eek.gif

available on ebay last time I checked, and I've heard raving reviews about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there's also some foam spray can that you let dry on the record, and when you pull it out it removes all the dirt
eek.gif

available on ebay last time I checked, and I've heard raving reviews about it
smily_headphones1.gif

That stuff sounds interesting, do you remember what it was called or can you point me in the right direction?

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 14
it's called LGL :
LGL_p.jpg

you let it dry for several hours, then gently peel it off and all the dirt comes off...it looks like bee wax.

you can treat 10/15 records w/ a $10 bottle
beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #13 of 14
np, from what I was told it really gives stunning results...hopefully you'll find some site willing to send it abroad
wink.gif

give us your feedback if you get the chance
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back