Recommended IEMs for under 100 USD?
Feb 21, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #16 of 19
the RE0 may not have as powerful bass compared to other IEMs, but its bass is definitely not weak in any regard IMO. i feel the RE0 has the perfect balance of bass quantity and impact. it is very punchy and tight, and does not overwhelm like some other IEMs do. i much prefer the RE0 to my TF10s which I feel has too strong bass and is too forward and sharp for my tastes. the RE0 feels like smooth lush silk in comparison.

i dont think you necessarily need to get an amplifier for the iTouch. I can run my RE0s out from my 5.5G iPod Video just fine. if you really want to, you can get a Fiio E1 which is cheap and is a decent transparent amp. i used to run an E1 out from my iPod and i was blown away with the sound quality i was getting.

if you really want to step up to the next level, you could get a more expensive portable amp, but prepare to pony out some decent cash. i'd recommend the headphonia arrow ($200-$250 or $150-$200 with trade-in discount) or the iBasso T3 ($120). it's up to you to decide if the extra $120+ is worth the upgrade in sound quality. the sound quality of the RE0 + Fiio E1 is by no means bad, it is actually phenomenal and one of the best i've ever heard, but some people have a disease called upgraditist.

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn1cai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input.
haha I think I understand them. TF10 is no doubt accurate, but quite flat.

Thanks once again. Your help has been more than helpful. What is digital volume vs. regular?

Digital volume will provide you with + and - buttons to adjust the volume, unlike the volume knob-potentiometer present in other amps which tend to not be consistent in volume increases, this affects highly sensitive IEMs as could get really cumbersome setting the right volume.
That is not the case in RE0, as it isn't very sensitive.

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #18 of 19
Thanks for the feedback, and thank you kunalraiker for the answers yet again.

I think I am pretty much decided on the RE0, and I do think I will make the splurge into higher-end amps when I get the chance. However, I would like some insight on the amp. Between the Arrow 12HE and the T3D, what is the major difference? The extra 70 USD in MSRP on the Arrow is based on what?

Also, what is your opinion on the ultra-portable Fiio amps?

Sorry if these questions seem rather dumb; I am not experienced in terms of amps.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #19 of 19
The RE0 are really great and a steal for $79.

Regarding the Fiio E5 or E1, I would suggest not to go for it. It really isn't much of an amp and doesn't improve the sound by much.

You could use it un-amped, the RE0 still would sound great. But I would advise you to get a decent amp, maybe even something like a T3 to extract the best out of the RE0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back