Oct 6, 2010 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

mm38

New Head-Fier
hi, need some advice

my headphone is AD900, i think this headphone will doing good without ampli

but i using onkyo se200 pci Ltd as my soundcard
my soundcard dont have ampli built in, so it doesnt have headphone out
it have RCA and digital output only

so i think i need an ampli to connect my AD900 with my soundcard, right?

so please gimme advice, what ampli is good for my AD900?
my maximal budjet is $100
i need good DESKTOP ampli, and have RCA input

thx

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 23

Quote:
No you don't need an amp for those headphones. What you really need is a new soundcard/source.

why?
i think the onkyo se200 pci Ltd is very good soundcard

but it dont have ampli built in, so i need ampli external

i know that my ad900 doesnt need ampli to improve the SQ, but i need it to connect my headphone to my soundcard

if i use cheap ampli, it will reduce the SQ or not?

thx

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 23

Quote:

You want to use an amplifier to plug the headphones into a soundcard? What?

yes, that is the problem
i dont want to change my soundcard, because i really love it

so i decided to buy an external ampli
please help give me some advice, which ampli is worth to buy to fix this problem ( my maximal budjet is $100)

thx

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 23
Gain gain gain. Tread carefully!  

Anyways, you don't really need an amp for the AD900. Yeah sure depending on the amp, things could improve but it's not like the headphones suck. Your sound card definitely has an amp. Just about everything has an amp! 

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
Gain gain gain. Tread carefully!  

Anyways, you don't really need an amp for the AD900. Yeah sure depending on the amp, things could improve but it's not like the headphones suck. Your sound card definitely has an amp. Just about everything has an amp! 

no, i dotn think so.. my SC has not  an amp
u can googling it, onkyo se200 pci Ltd doesnt have ampli built in

i know AD900 doesnt need an amp
but i am looking an amp because i need it to connect my headphone and my SC
my sc dont have headphone out, it only have RCA and digital output

in this case, i need an amp, right?

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #10 of 23
Yah you need a soundcard with a headphone jack at least. The headphone jack of anything does have a built in little amp but if your soundcard only has a line out and you are gonna be plugging the ad900s there, I'm not really sure how it will do hehehe. If you really want to use your soundcard at all times then just get a basic external amp like the ones I posted above for example. 

Tube amps are nice too but its not easy to find a good transformer coupled tube amp for under 100 bucks. OTL tube amps(which are the only pure tube amps you can get at that pricepoint) are not that good for low impedance cans like your AD900s since the power usually gets lower at lower impedances unlike solid states which are reverse. Then again you could also get a hybrid amp like the Little dot 1+ and tweak it to kingdom come in the future with parts upgrades here and there and maybe some tube rolling. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 23
Or...
Check the classifieds here for great prices on used amps
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
Yah you need a soundcard with a headphone jack at least. The headphone jack of anything does have a built in little amp but if your soundcard only has a line out and you are gonna be plugging the ad900s there, I'm not really sure how it will do hehehe. If you really want to use your soundcard at all times then just get a basic external amp like the ones I posted above for example. 

Tube amps are nice too but its not easy to find a good transformer coupled tube amp for under 100 bucks. OTL tube amps(which are the only pure tube amps you can get at that pricepoint) are not that good for low impedance cans like your AD900s since the power usually gets lower at lower impedances unlike solid states which are reverse. Then again you could also get a hybrid amp like the Little dot 1+ and tweak it to kingdom come in the future with parts upgrades here and there and maybe some tube rolling. 

do u mean hybrid amp like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250707766699#ht_7245wt_1135

btw, if i use amp class T, like in your previous order, it will improve the SQ or not?

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #13 of 23
No idea what you would improve since you have no amp at all. Improved compared to what? like an ipod vs the sound of that amp? Maybe. I haven't tried any 100 dollar or below amps though so I am simply giving you ideas by posting those amps. My 100 dollar udac is pretty good though but I didn't post a recommendation for it since it will bypass your soundcard. It is a Dac/amp after all without an option of using it just as a standalone amp.

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #15 of 23
ok, i know u never try 100 dolar amps, but maybe o know something bout this amp, AUDIOTRAK IMAMPS?

the power supply is adapter but it has battere too
so it is an portable or desktop amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back