Recommended Amp and DAC for the Grado PS500?
Aug 31, 2012 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

daniel521

500+ Head-Fier
I want a setup thats going to get the most out of it. The absolute max I'm willing to spend is 200 dollars on an amp and 150 on a DAC. I was thinking about the O2 + HRT MusicStreamer II combo, would that be good for the PS500. This may be off topic but some headphones are demanding in the quality of music files (HD800) while others are excellent with any type of music file (HD600). Most of my songs are from itunes, will they sound good in the PS500 or are they demanding woth the quality of the songs? I'll be getting my music from cd's in the future though.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
I want a setup thats going to get the most out of it. The absolute max I'm willing to spend is 200 dollars on an amp and 150 on a DAC. I was thinking about the O2 + HRT MusicStreamer II combo, would that be good for the PS500. This may be off topic but some headphones are demanding in the quality of music files (HD800) while others are excellent with any type of music file (HD600). Most of my songs are from itunes, will they sound good in the PS500 or are they demanding woth the quality of the songs? I'll be getting my music from cd's in the future though.

Just get yourself a good CMoy and you'll be happy!

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
really? I already own a fiio e11 amp which I think is about equal. I thought it wasn't enough for the ps500. Should I just use the fiio e11 and maybe buy a seperate DAC?

Yes get a dac. Thats all you'll need for a Grado. One of the reasons I love them
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
I'll get an HRT MusicStreamer II :). It isn't worth upgrading to an O2 right? Will I notice any differences?

It might. But if you ever buy another headphone then the O2 will come in handy. So if you want to be future proof then you can. But otherwise for a Grado you might notice a small difference.

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 13
Little Dot mk1+ is good with Grado's, especially if you replace the stock opamp and try a few tube types. Theres a whole thread about it.

Also any mosfet based SS amp, these tend to add a nice bit of warmth and you also get bags of current too which is what the Grados require. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Little Dot mk1+ is good with Grado's, especially if you replace the stock opamp and try a few tube types. Theres a whole thread about it.

Also any mosfet based SS amp, these tend to add a nice bit of warmth and you also get bags of current too which is what the Grados require. 

I'm worried that tube amps will be too hard to maintain, is that a big problem?

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I worried that tube amps will be too hard to maintain, is that a big problem?

If you get a good set they can out live the amp! However, some tubes can be noisy and unpredictable. It can be good fun fine tuning to your taste with different tubes. The good thing about the LD1+ is that it accepts 3 different variants of tube and so there is a lot of choice.

And they light up in the dark!
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
If you get a good set they can out live the amp! However, some tubes can be noisy and unpredictable. It can be good fun fine tuning to your taste with different tubes. The good thing about the LD1+ is that it accepts 3 different variants of tube and so there is a lot of choice.

And they light up in the dark!
bigsmile_face.gif

they light up in the dark? Im gettin it!! lol jk I'll have to think about it for a bit, they seem kind of picky...anyway thanks for the info :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back