Recommendations (using ASUS Xonar ST)
Jun 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

xavier911

New Head-Fier
Yo everybody,
I've spent the last few weeks reading hundreds of threads and countless opinions to find a good replacement for my PC360s (they have some problems that are driving me nuts).
Firstly, my budget is €200 (I can exceed it, not by too much though) and, as I've written in the title, I'm currently using the Xonar ST soundcard.

My choices are:
AKG K701 (€198 on amazon - my first choice, despite of many different opinions);
DT880 (250Ohm version - not sure about these, if someone is using them with the ST then please let me know how they sound);
HD598 (the safest choice, but I wanted to try something different, as I already own a pair of Senns).

My preferences are 40% music (mostly rock and orchestral), 40% gaming and 20% anime/film.
If you know of any other headphones that would better suit my needs, please tell me.

Thank you in advance.

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 14
I vote DT880

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion. Why do you think they're a better choice?

The Q701 and HD598 are not really considered bassy headphones.
I've found the DT880 to work great for any kind of audio.

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
So... if I chose the DT880, which version should I buy? I found the Pro and Premium versions at exactly the same price.

The Premiums have a slightly softer grip on the head.

Jun 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #9 of 14
Oh, I forgot to mention that I prefer bass-light headphones (I usually get headaches when there's too much bass).

Open headphones will probably be less of a problem with that. They don't give that pressurization effect like you get with sealed headphones with a lot of bass or like in a car with a big sub. Since you have an STX, you could always decrease the bass a little with the EQ if needed.

That being said, I found the DT880 and Q701 (the newer version of the K701) quite different in overall sound signature where your personal listening tastes really would be the deciding factor. If there is anyway you could demo the K701/Q701 and the DT880? Or perhaps order from places that have good return policies and send back the ones you don't like?

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
Open headphones will probably be less of a problem with that. They don't give that pressurization effect like you get with sealed headphones with a lot of bass or like in a car with a big sub. Since you have an STX, you could always decrease the bass a little with the EQ if needed.

That being said, I found the DT880 and Q701 (the newer version of the K701) quite different in overall sound signature where your personal listening tastes really would be the deciding factor. If there is anyway you could demo the K701/Q701 and the DT880? Or perhaps order from places that have good return policies and send back the ones you don't like?

Yep, that's why I'm not taking into consideration any closed heaphones.

I believe there's no place in my city where I can demo them, and if I order one from, let's say, amazon, I don't know if I'll be able to send it back (I can't because I'm only 17, and my parents are busy enough lol). I just want to be 100% sure about my purchase.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Yep, that's why I'm not taking into consideration any closed heaphones.

I believe there's no place in my city where I can demo them, and if I order one from, let's say, amazon, I don't know if I'll be able to send it back (I can't because I'm only 17, and my parents are busy enough lol). I just want to be 100% sure about my purchase.

Ask about the DT880 in the "DT880 appreciation thread/discussion thread", see how they rate the DT880's bass.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/429371/the-beyerdynamic-dt880-appreciation-discussion-thread

Jun 21, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #13 of 14

Well, you can't be 100% sure about your purchase in the sense that reading testimonials and reviews on a website will only get you about 80% of the way there.

That being said, both the Q701 (like I said, haven't heard the K701) and DT880 are excellent headphones for their class, and I can easily see why some people might prefer one over the other, but both are great choices. That's why if you started a thread titled "Q701/K701 vs. DT880" with your requirements, it would likely be a war over which is better :)

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
Well, you can't be 100% sure about your purchase in the sense that reading testimonials and reviews on a website will only get you about 80% of the way there.

That being said, both the Q701 (like I said, haven't heard the K701) and DT880 are excellent headphones for their class, and I can easily see why some people might prefer one over the other, but both are great choices. That's why if you started a thread titled "Q701/K701 vs. DT880" with your requirements, it would likely be a war over which is better
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, the best I can do is to gather information here and there, hoping to make the right choice in the end.

I finally decided to go for the DT880s (from what I'm reading, they're a better all-rounder than the K701s, in case I go crazy and start listening to totally different music genres), so my search has come to an end.
Thank you all for your suggestions ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back