Recommendations - Solid State, Small Footprint, Under $1000, with some power
Jan 30, 2008 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

riffer

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a solid state amp to go with my main system.

Criteria:

Small Footprint (separate PSU okay) - maybe 1/3 shelf for the main unit.

Black, nice finish, preferably anodized aluminum

Must have some power. The only time I will use it will be to crank the volume up. I have a couple of tube amps for more "genteel" listening.

I am a little lost. Ray Samuels HR-2 initially looks good, but how much power?

Under $1,000 new.

Any other recommendations?

Check my profile for my other equipment.

Thanks, Rob

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 25
GS-1.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 25
Yamamoto HA-02 but it is not SS. It has all the detail of one though.

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 25
The LISAIII is avery nice sounding amp, and IMO will beat many of those reco above, and is a lot smaller, SS, battery powered, could be used with the PSU as well, and very nice sounding...not sure if they have it in black though...

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 25
Just a picture of the system. Amp has to fit under the bottom shelf. I could probably squeeze a GS-1 in there.

Is the GS-1 going to have enough power that I could crank up my DT-880's ?

Also looking at the other recommendations. Thanks everyone.

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grab the Dynahi on the FS forum now, total steal at that price. It's not too "small", but it's worth it.

I agree, but see restricted space in my post above. I think the seller is also USA only.

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 25
I don't think you can go wrong with any Ray Samuels stuff, it's absolutely top notch.

Also consider the Headroom Balanced Desktop... own it, love it!

I wouldn't order the GS-1 unless you're willing to wait until 2009 to hear it.

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by riffer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a picture of the system. Amp has to fit under the bottom shelf. I could probably squeeze a GS-1 in there.

Is the GS-1 going to have enough power that I could crank up my DT-880's ?

Also looking at the other recommendations. Thanks everyone.

Beautiful setup....Keep us posted as to how you finished it off.

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 25
The GS-1 would be my recommendation too. The GS-1 is quite powerful and will drive the 880's to ungodly levels. Plus, the GS-1 has more features than any of the competition. The amp is like a small control center. You have two inputs, a gain switch, a loop out, a preamp output and two headphone outputs. Finally, the GS-1 is a true discrete transistor design; no op amps.

I hope the post about waiting until 2009 was a joke .... because that is not remotely true. I have had two GS-1's and I never waited more than a couple weeks.

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope the post about waiting until 2009 was a joke .... because that is not remotely true. I have had two GS-1's and I never waited more than a couple weeks.

I guess this is just my general frustration over having to cancel my Blue Hawaii SE due to shifting deadlines and lack of communication. I know criticizing HeadAmp on this site is akin to stating that you like to molest young boys, so I'm going to back away now
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #14 of 25
Asr did a review at the end of December on a number of sub 1k solid state amps, which you'd probably find helpful. I haven't heard any of these amps, but some that come up frequently are the Meier Opera, Headamp GS-1 (or Gilmore Lite, which is smaller), Single Power (I think they have a S.S. amp), Graham Slee Solo, Headroom Desktops, and Heed Canamp. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, and may be worth looking into.

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess this is just my general frustration over having to cancel my Blue Hawaii SE due to shifting deadlines and lack of communication. I know criticizing HeadAmp on this site is akin to stating that you like to molest young boys, so I'm going to back away now
wink.gif

Oh, Headamp has had their share of criticism; some no doubt fully deserved. But the point is ordering and receiving a custom BHSE electrostatic amp is nothing like ordering and receiving a GS-1.

Back on topic .... not only is the GS-1 is a good match with Grados, Senn 580/600/650's, Beyer dt880's and the AKG 701. The GS-1 is an excellent preamp.

3c6fb755.jpg

64d16277.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back