Recommendations on Preamps that have good headphone amp built-in
Aug 9, 2011 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

thecos00

New Head-Fier
Hi, what are good preamps that are mainly for home stereo use that also have a good headphone amp built-in.  I have a nice home stereo set up already and am looking for one unit that will serve as both preamp to the home stereo and amp to my headphones, instead of separate units.  Thank you in advance.

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 11
i'm surprised noone has chimed in on this - its certainly something i would be interested in hearing some opinions on!

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/b-52

i haven't been shopping around for products in this category, but i was really impressed with the RSA B-52 when I first heard it and subsequent encounters haven't changed my opinion. its expensive enough that its on my 'someday' wish list, but its a really gorgeous sounding and great looking piece of kit :)

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 11
The Aragon 18k and possibly also the Aurum and 28k, can drive headphones right out of the pre-outs
An rca to trs adapter will have to be made though, but since there is two outputs on these amps, one can be used for headphones, the other for poweramp/speakers.
You'll most likely have a hard time finding a nicer preamps then the Aragon line, these threads can give you an idea:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=381352

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=375661

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 11
stating your budget, tube/solidstate preference and sound signature will help alot, for people to make recommendation.

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 11
Hey Adda. I have an 18k and have wondered actually how good it might be using headphones from a pre-out. Adapters at monoprice are dirt cheap. Have you tried an 18k with headphones? How well does it work. I have some Beyer DT880 600 ohm that sound like they might like it.

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Hey Adda. I have an 18k and have wondered actually how good it might be using headphones from a pre-out. Adapters at monoprice are dirt cheap. Have you tried an 18k with headphones? How well does it work. I have some Beyer DT880 600 ohm that sound like they might like it.

The sales material for the 18k states that it can be used as a high quality headphone amp, and that is an understatement if I ever saw one.
I use my 18k as a headphone amp as well as a preamp, and it performs equally well at both tasks.
If you like your 18k you'll wanna' use it with your headphones too no doubt.
K240DF's are really hard to drive, but the 18k drives them effortlessly.
You may want to look through the first thread I linked to, there is a guide to bias and dc-offset adjustments for the 18k and more.

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 11
Thank you so much for those links. Especially the bias procedure. I just did mine. Took longer to disconnect all of the IC's 
bigsmile_face.gif
. Ya, my measurements before adjusting were way off too. Havn't listened too criticly yet. It's nice to find some Aragon love out there. Right now I have a Darkvoice 336i for my Beyers. I wonder how the 18k will compare. Only 1 way to find out 
dt880smile.png

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #11 of 11
You are very welcome.
I'm quite convinced your darkvoice will be blown out of the water by the 18k, but yes only one way to find out.
Please feel free to hop over to audiokarma and share your thoughts and experiences (pictures :) in one of those Aragon threads, so little info is a available on these bad boys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back