Recommendations on DAC with preout. Budget up to $230.
Jul 20, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #17 of 24
Hmm, knowing more about output impedance matching thanks to you.. it got me thinking as to the reason my motherboard onboard audio might sound bad.
It adjusts the output impedance automatically according to the headphones connected. But when I connect my HK 670 integrated amp through a RCA to 3.5mm cable it always puts it at maximum 1000 output impedance. I suppose that could mess up sound balance quite a bit? Speakers are 4ohm each. Integrated amp gives 4 ohm to each speaker.

They must be manipulating current and or voltage drive, because you can't set an output impedance.

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #18 of 24
Winner in my computer, integrated amp + passive speakers test. Will test IEMs and over ear headphones later.

Had a long comparision session and the winner is clearly Scarlett 2i2. Beats these with a big margin Fulla 2, HIFIME 9018 and Cyrus Soundkey. If mobility was very important to you I can recommend Hifime 9018. Pretty good, but clearly less good then Scarlett. Cyrus was shiit, Fulla 2 was shiit.

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #19 of 24
Well tried the Hifime 9018 with my 11 ohm headphones. Specs say the DAC has 2 ohm output impedance. Volume is loud on 5% already, THAT JUST SUCKS. I am lucky it didn't blow up my IEM's speakers, I pulled them out real quick to save my hearing to. I could not hear any issues on Scarlett after a quick listen.

I don't get it. I thought Hifime 9018 had the perfect specs for 11 ohm IEM's?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #20 of 24
How about the Behringer UMC204HD?

Jul 26, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #21 of 24
Well tried the Hifime 9018 with my 11 ohm headphones. Specs say the DAC has 2 ohm output impedance. Volume is loud on 5% already, THAT JUST SUCKS. I am lucky it didn't blow up my IEM's speakers, I pulled them out real quick to save my hearing to. I could not hear any issues on Scarlett after a quick listen.

I don't get it. I thought Hifime 9018 had the perfect specs for 11 ohm IEM's?

Output impedance only affects how well it controls the drivers. It doesn't tell you how much power it has and what the gain is.

In this case the Hifime is like a car with good tyres and a powerful engine but the transmission final drive is really too high for the load (ie the IEM) so it gets too fast too easily. By comparison the Scarlett is like a Corolla or a Camry on crappy, too hard regular tyres (ie not the sport package) with a two people inside plus the rest of the body and the contents of the trunk.

Jul 26, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #22 of 24
You might want to take a look at the Topping D50 which is probably going to be my next DAC. Thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/topping-d50.876669/

It comes very close to your budget and utilises the 64-bit signal processing capabilities of the ES9038Q2M dac to provide software volume control without degrading the audio signal. Boom, 32-bit DAC with preout for $250. I'm getting one to feed my desktop monitors (Adam T7V) as they have independent gain control on the back.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #23 of 24
Haha, love the comparison with the cars. But I gotta say, I am picky with sound. There are those of us with sensitive ears and a love for music that have the capablity to tell, crap, this is good, this is on the level. Now the music sounds proper as you would imagine the producer intended it to be. Those of us who can quite easily hear errors in low, mid, high frequencies. Bad vs good soundstage, imaging, clarity etc..

There is a point you reach as a HIFI person where upgrades are cool, but the diminishing returns start to factor in. Differences become less clear.
The place where you start to ponder if more soundstage will make things worse and make it sound unnatural. When the voices are so beautilful and crystal clear, making them clearer is overkill.
The Scarlett is so good I think this point has been reached for me. And I believe I am capable to determine this and recommend something to other HIFI people with a sensitivity to sound quality.

The Scarlett 2i2 sounds amazing, with it you reach the level you need with a DAC. The point at which I believe it is time to focus on other things. Like better speakers, where diminishing returns is less of a factor.

There is a business side of DACs where you gain market share and returns by dividing the target group by musicians and studio producers and consumer level HIFI nerds. It seems logical to me with my own senses and reading what other people say, that there is a lot of margin there in selling less quality for a premium price depending on market. To me the Scarlett proves this.

My FLC8n IEMs sound amazing with the Scarlett and loud at 40%. Proper. The only downside is that before 30% there is channel imbalance and the right side is lower in volume. An issue if you don't have a second means of lowering volume. Then you could be forced to listen at higher volumes then you like with just the Scarlett. Tested with two different IEMs. IEmatch from IFI Audio should help, bought it and will let you know if it's good.

With my passive speakers i run the volume on the Scarlett at 100% with no noticable distortion so far. Integrated amp for volume control. I imagine there is some room for improvement in the sound, but at this level it feels like nitpicking.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #24 of 24
This iEmatch iFi thing worsened the audio quality with my smartphone LG G5 + FLC8n IEMs. These IEMs have a wonderful wide soundstage and clarity in the highs. The width was clearly narrowed and highs lost sparkle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back