Recommendations on dac/amp for Beyerdynamic T1.2
Oct 10, 2017 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Alp Koksal

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I am looking forward to purchasing a new set of dac/headphone amp for my Beyerdynamic T1.2s, and I believe they deserve a decent one. I have eliminated my options to a few and would like to get your opinion before I make a decision I would regret.

1) Ifi iDSD (Silver) + iCAN (not SE)

2) Ifi iDSD Black Label

3) Ifi iDSD (Silver) + Beyerdynamic A20

x) Oppo HA-1 (Only if I can wait and save more for it)

Soundwise, my biggest consideration would be to tame the highs of T1.2’s, which cause sibilance in less than ideal recordings, while having sufficient sound levels when listening through these 600 ohm cans (I am currently running them through the Apogee One I use for making music, and having some issues with sibilance). I believe a warm sound signature would certainly help.

Anyone with experience of the above mentioned products and/or combinations, I’ll greatly appreciate your input. Anyone who can suggest a better warm sounding set/product for T1s (in the same price bracket (500 – 1K USD) that would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 14
You really want very warm sounding amp for Beyer T1, especially 1.2 version which is even more harsh than the first generation.

With high impedance nature of Beyer, you can go for tube amps.

Consider things like offerings from Woo Audio or Little Dot (official webpage : http://www.littledot.net/forum/index.php? ) And grab DACs like Schiit Modi Multibit, which is also very warm-sounding DAC.

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 14
With all the versions it’s hard to tell. I heard the T1’s (almost sure one of the first versions) from a A20 and OMG bright as the sun could not listen to it and I don’t mind a bright can. I’ve heard another T1 a later model and it was not as bad but I heard it from my Amps and Sound Kenzie so it might have tamed it down a bit but it was very good. It is a tube amp so I think a tube amp for them would be good.

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 14
You really want very warm sounding amp for Beyer T1, especially 1.2 version which is even more harsh than the first generation.

Consider things like offerings from Woo Audio or Little Dot (official webpage : http://www.littledot.net/forum/index.php? ) And grab DACs like Schiit Modi Multibit, which is also very warm-sounding DAC.

Even harsher than the original?

I have listened to both extensively and the T1 2nd Generation are far from harsh, the solved the treble peak and made them smoother overall.

Either way they do pair best with a tube amp, so the Darkvoice 336 SE would be a good amp, then just get a JDS Labs EL-DAC, or OL-DAC to use with it :D

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 14
Soundwise, my biggest consideration would be to tame the highs of T1.2’s, which cause sibilance in less than ideal recordings, while having sufficient sound levels when listening through these 600 ohm cans (I am currently running them through the Apogee One I use for making music, and having some issues with sibilance). I believe a warm sound signature would certainly help.

Anyone with experience of the above mentioned products and/or combinations, I’ll greatly appreciate your input. Anyone who can suggest a better warm sounding set/product for T1s (in the same price bracket (500 – 1K USD) that would also be appreciated.

Violectric V200 or Darkvoice DV336se

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 14

Even harsher than the original?

I have listened to both extensively and the T1 2nd Generation are far from harsh, the solved the treble peak and made them smoother overall.

Either way they do pair best with a tube amp, so the Darkvoice 336 SE would be a good amp, then just get a JDS Labs EL-DAC, or OL-DAC to use with it :D

Yeah I agree with @Oscar-HiFi on this one. I personally found the T1v1 too analytical and bright, where as the T1v2 was pretty much perfect for my ears. They took the edge off, and gave it a bass bump to make it a little more "musical".

I think a mojo for a start would be killer for a DAC and its portability (if thats important to you?). Also the size of it is amazing for its performance.

Here's the size of it compared to a standard business card- IMG_8062.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 11, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 14
Try to find a used Woo WA2,which is a heavenly pairing.
If thats not possible the La Figaro 339 is available on Massdrop right now...roll the tubes to a heavy warm sound and you'll be golden

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 14
Everyone, thank you for your input! I appreciate it.

What's your opinion on Schiit Valhalla 2? Looks like a good alternative to Beyerdynamic A20 for a warm sound signature.
Some say that it's the best match for T1, at least in sub 500USD category.
It seems to have enough output power to drive T1.2's, yet I have read that some users are not satisfied with the volume levels while using with T1. Anyone experienced such an issue?

Perhaps a Schiit Modi Multibit + Valhalla 2 might be a good combination at a decent price, any ideas?

Finally, Woo WA2 will be a stretch for me but just curious if you do you think it's absolutely worth to spend the extra over Valhalla 2 for a better match with T1.2?

I will keep looking into Darkvoice DV336SE, La Figaro 339, Little Dot, JDS Labs and all the models you've mentioned, meanwhile I'll be happy to hear your thoughts on couple of questions mentioned above. Thank you!

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 14
You will need to tube roll as the stock tubes make it sound very solid state to me and way too bright for my HD-700’s the short time I had it.

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 14
What Buke said is pretty true with any tube amp(and thats what you really need for the overly bright T1). A simple change of tubes can drastically alter the sound of an amp.
I used to own the WA2 and the T1 thru it was magical,but eventually I realized that Im not a fan of bright headphones,and moved on from both. While the WA2 is a superior amp to the 339,i prefer the 339 as its incredibly versatile.It can power high ohm/low ohm and planars...something the WA2 couldnt do very well.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 14
What's your opinion on Schiit Valhalla 2? Looks like a good alternative to Beyerdynamic A20 for a warm sound signature.
Some say that it's the best match for T1, at least in sub 500USD category.

If it's about driving power then the Valhalla has a lot of power for a 600ohm headphone since it's an OTL amplifier.

If it's about your need to use the amplifier to EQ a headphone - specifically to make a bright headphone warm - Valhalla and "warm" are about as far away you can get from your objective.

I'd get the Darkvoice DV336se. Not too dark as to be annoyingly dull, and for a tube amp at that price point, has a low noisefloor (ie the name has as much, if not more, to do with the latter).

Oct 23, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 14
Am I the only one that don't find the T1.2 too bright? Or do people just prefer to dial it back a little bit to make it perfect or what?
I listened to the pair you had at the store and thought they were not that bright but I did listen on the Kenzie so that might have a little to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back