Recommendations on an airier and wider sounding upgrade to the Sennheiser HD58X
Aug 24, 2020 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Khitzi

New Head-Fier
Hey All. Sorry, I'm fairly new here so I'm not massively clued in on the terminology or rules, so please bare with me. I am looking for a little help, if anyone would be willing.

I'm currently using a pair of Massdrop x Sennheiser HD58X headphones. Generally speaking, I think they're excellent. However, to me they sound quite intimate and congested. I really like that wide and airy feeling you get with live performances and I don't think these headphone are really able to capture this in the way I would like. So I'm looking at getting another pair of headphones to compliment my current pair and I was hoping I could get some directions on where to look, maybe some recommendations? I have read a lot about the Focal Elex which were possibly in the cost/performance sweet spot for me – many people have said they're a natural upgrade to the Sennheisers, but unfortunately these aren't available in the UK.

Does anyone have any recommendations of what I should look for? I would say my budget is under £800 or so, but if there's something just above this that's absolutely worthwhile, I might consider that too. I really would appreciate the help!

Thanks.

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 5
A good pair of used HD800/800s is your best bet.

Aug 24, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 5
A good pair of used HD800/800s is your best bet.
I was interested in this one, but I read that the soundstage on the HD800 series is so wide that it sounds artificial. Also read that they have a bit of an upper mid dip can make the mids sound a touch hollow. Would you agree with this?

Aug 24, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #4 of 5
I was interested in this one, but I read that the soundstage on the HD800 series is so wide that it sounds artificial. Also read that they have a bit of an upper mid dip can make the mids sound a touch hollow. Would you agree with this?
I just found the HD800s to be an incredibly tuned and incredibly immersive listen. They're easily eq-d as well to suit personal preferences.

Aug 24, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 5
I just found the HD800s to be an incredibly tuned and incredibly immersive listen. They're easily eq-d as well to suit personal preferences.

Okay, thanks. I think there's a HiFi store nearby that stocks them, so I'll see if I can get a demo. Since I'm looking at this price range, have you by any chance tried and compared them to the Focal Clear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back