Recommendations on a new DAP under $220
Nov 19, 2018 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

goodyfresh

Headphoneus Supremus
What I need is exactly what it says in the title: Recommendations on a new DAP for $220 or less. What do you guys think is the best possible DAP currently available in this price range, and what are your reasons for your particular recommendation? How do you think said DAP does in terms of sound, user interface, battery life, features, etc.?

For context: I am working on selling my used Questyle QP1R for $400 to $420 because I would like to get something brand-new that I will have warranty coverage for (and also because I need the extra cash) with up to $220 of that money. I realize that whatever I get in the $220-or-less range will not sound AS good as the QP1R (which is an AMAZING DAP); but I would like something which comes as close to it as possible. Also, I would like something which is able to function as a USB DAC with computers, and which has both a line-out and headphone-out; but, I think I can assume any of your recommendations will have these features, as most DAP's do these days.

I won't be using the DAP with anything especially hard to drive; only with a pair of IEM's (I am getting new IEM's because I unfortunately left my Trinity Deltas on an Amtrak train, so I'm not sure which IEM's it will be yet) and with my HiFiMan Edition S, which are very easy to drive.

Also, anyone who happens to be interested in what I said about selling my QP1R for 400 to 420 bucks can feel free to contact me about it; but that isn't what this thread is about.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 5
Shanling M0 - My best audio purchase of 2018.
It has all the bells and whistles except wi-fi. Great SQ and battery life for such a small device. I’m using it a lot more than Mojo because of the size and for truly portable use sq gap is not that big.

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks dude. Anybody else have any recommendations? The Shanling M0 seems good but I am definitely looking for something closer to the 200 to 220 price range. . .I'm thinking that I can probably get even better sound quality for around 200 than for the $110 price tag of the M0.

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 5
Hiby r3, $9 over budget.

If you can stretch further, ibasso dx120.

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Any particular reason why no one is recommending the Fiio X3 Gen 3? Back in the day I had an X3 Gen 2 that I liked a whole lot. . . .are there some issues that make the 3rd Gen version not a good choice for the $200 price tag, for some reason?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back