Recommendations on a Closed back Over ear for EDM and punk
Apr 16, 2015 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

InsideTM

New Head-Fier
Hi All, 

I'm thinking of making the switch from IEMs to over ear / circumaural headphones and was hoping to get some recommendations for closed back headphones. 

I mainly listen to DnB (e.g. Teebee & Calibre), mellow dubstep (Phaeleh), punk (Pennywise and Rise Against) and a few other things. 

My current set up is a pair of SE535s with custom tips, an iPod classic and an Headstage Arrow 4G. Although I like the sound it's always lacking in bass / sub bass even with the 4G's bass boost set to max and a good seal on the tips. I'd still like good mids and treble but just with enough bass to get the best from my music (I was considering the 1964 V3's if I could ever afford them).  

I'll be mainly listening to the headphones at home but would like to take them on the move if possible. Good isolation would be a big plus so I'd prefer closed rather than open back. 

The budget will be up to £300. 

Thanks very much for your help!

Cheers, 

InsideTM

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 17
Apr 16, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 17
  Hi All, 

I'm thinking of making the switch from IEMs to on ear headphones and was hoping to get some recommendations for closed back headphones. 

I mainly listen to DnB (e.g. Teebee & Calibre), mellow dubstep (Phaeleh), punk (Pennywise and Rise Against) and a few other things. 

My current set up is a pair of SE535s with custom tips, an iPod classic and an Headstage Arrow 4G. Although I like the sound it's always lacking in bass / sub bass even with the 4G's bass boost set to max and a good seal on the tips. I'd still like good mids and treble but just with enough bass to get the best from my music (I was considering the 1964 V3's if I could ever afford them).  

I'll be mainly listening to the headphones at home but would like to take them on the move if possible. Good isolation would be a big plus so I'd prefer closed rather than open back. 

The budget will be up to £300. 

Thanks very much for your help!

Cheers, 

InsideTM

You desire for good isolation is understandable but I don't think you are going to achieve that as well with on-ears as you would with over-ears (circumaural). Perhaps you should consider a nice pair of closed-back over-ears (??). Just a thought for you. Good luck!! :)

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 17
Hi Serman005, 

You're right, I've checked up a bit more and now definitely thinking over-ear/circumaural - I'll edit the post in a minute! Apologies for net getting that right in the original post. 

The current sets that have caught my attention are:

Sennheiser Momentum's Over Ear
ATH a9000x
AKG 545
And possibly either the Beyerdynamic T51 or T70

Thanks for your help!

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 17
You may want to consider NAD Viso HP 50 or the B&W P5 or P7
L3000.gif
 Not sure what they're like on isolation though, meh I think I left my brain on the pillow 

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 17
  You may want to consider NAD Viso HP 50 or the B&W P5 or P7
L3000.gif
 Not sure what they're like on isolation though, meh I think I left my brain on the pillow 

It was trying the P5 last week that got me thinking about switching from IEMs so will definitely go and try a pair of the P7s - they're on the top end of my budget but willpower was never a strong point... Read a few threads on the HP50's but not sure if I'll be able to find anywhere that will let me try them on. Don't suppose you know if they fit big heads OK?

I've been avoiding headfi for a while to preserve what little is in my wallet but it seems that's about to end...

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 17
For up to $400+ USD over-ear closed headphones, my favorite one is the PM-3 and I would highly recommend it. You can check out my review on it in my sig.

My other two favorite closed over-ears in the sub-$400 price point are the Viso HP50 at $300 and the AKG K545 at sub-$200. I didn't like the P5/P7 but ymmv. Haven't heard the Momentum Gen2 yet, but I am quite interested in them. The Soundmagic HP150/HP200 are two other very highly recommended headphones around here at the sub-$200 price point.

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 17
I am into EDM as well. I've graduated to some open back headphones. But I enjoy a Parrot Zik set of closed back. I really like the new Blue headphones with the built in amp and added bass enhancement. They sound great even with the amp off.

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #9 of 17

It was trying the P5 last week that got me thinking about switching from IEMs so will definitely go and try a pair of the P7s - they're on the top end of my budget but willpower was never a strong point... Read a few threads on the HP50's but not sure if I'll be able to find anywhere that will let me try them on. Don't suppose you know if they fit big heads OK?

I've been avoiding headfi for a while to preserve what little is in my wallet but it seems that's about to end...

That seems to be the Achilles Heel with the HP50's, the fit. It might be worth googling stockists to see if you can audition them, only true way to tell. There's lot of great suggestions already, you just need to find stockists where you can try them out. I paid £100 for my phones, £100 is worth a punt without trying them out but for £300, personally, I would want to audition first hand.

If you buy in person, don't underestimate the power of haggling the price down, if they want your business you may get a discount, especially as a lot of the sales people are on commission. I once negotiated a TV down from £1300 to a £1000 and got a free TV stand and a 5 year guarantee thrown in. The seller stated that he was making £10 profit on it so I stated that £10 profit is still a profit. Try it, you have nothing to lose, but everything to gain.

Good luck, my friend 
L3000.gif

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #10 of 17
Cheers Taffy, 

That's pretty much my thoughts about needing to try them on, especially as this will be my first pair of overear phones. Based on my local shop has it's going to come down to a test between the Momentum 2 Over Ear, the P7's and also possibly the Denon ahmm400. 

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 17
Well, went in to the shop yesterday and ended up with the P7. Initial impressions are very pleasing indeed - I got the immediate and substantial satisfaction I never had with the 535's. Starting to realise I may be a basshead - went straight up to the max boost on the arrow and now just looking through my music trying to choose which track to try next... 

Thanks for the help all!

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 17
They are a great headphone for EDM, aren't they? Just some good awesome bass, although not super heavy bass. To me, they add just the right of bass emphasis for that genre :)

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 17
Starting to agree with the good response to EDM - played Deceived by Future Prophecies (quite complex Dnb with lots of elements and frequencies, my default testing track) earlier and very pleased. Looking forward to seeing how/if they change as I get used to them. Also getting some good response from the amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back