Recommendations of anti darkness headphones
Apr 9, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #16 of 34
Could you try taking off the two black circles on the pro 900's bufferboard? I have been contemplating doing it since I found out about them but am afraid of what kind of highs I'll see (btw Ultrasone's explanation for them was they were put there because there was too much highs
tongue.gif
).

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well then go for the GS1000. It's the brightest headphone grado ever produced, and it has incredible soundstage, better than the K701 in size, depth, and layering. But it might have more bass presence than you seem to like. And so because the highs are so accentuated, and the bass is present, the mids are a bit recessed. I haven't heard the PS1000, but by all reports, it fixes that problem.

Otherwise, if you're going for brightness in a cheaper grado, get the original silver SR325 (not the new silver i version). You could find one pretty cheap if you put a WTB out, and they are almost as bright as the GS1000, but mids and bass are more in balance with each other. Soundstage isn't amazing of course, but seperation is good.

I have nothing against solid bass but for the DAC19 it can get a bit much. Not so much that it overpowers the mids the mids seem boosted even more but I am missing some bass definition. I get better bass definition out of my Ipod touch of all sources! but especially the Keces DAC.
GS 1000 or RS1 is what I will keep an eye out for though I have been warned about the comfort of the GS 1000. Otherwise I would have got one quite a while ago. My ears don´t like on ear it seems.

@haloxt: It´s on the bright side on my Keces which disqualify some older recordings already so I think I will pass on that.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #18 of 34
Alternatively a 2nd hand DT931. Almost CD3000 territory in respect of treble, stronger deep bass, but only work-to-rule soundscape. Unuseable for non-trebleheads without a pre-resistor.

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #19 of 34
I can say the AD1000PRM would suit what you are looking for. Its a forward/bright/fast headphone with very good vocals and very detailed presentation. Also has punchy impact. Basically it makes songs which are bright sound too bright, and all other songs it makes them sound simply stunning. This is of course IMO

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #21 of 34
Well getting a bonus this month and gotten my Slee Solo and some old speakers sold. So I celebrated by ordering a set of SA5000.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well getting a bonus this month and gotten my Slee Solo and some old speakers sold. So I celebrated by ordering a set of SA5000.

Great choice on SA5000, a great phone overall, very comfy too. Totally fits your needs, buy it now when its still in production. ;D

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #23 of 34
From what I read it should work quite well for my need. Though the translation from reading to hearing doesn´t always go smooth of course lol

I am quite curious about the soundstage... It´s supposed to not have much of it all in your head yet still great instrument separation?

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #24 of 34
While the soundstage is not K701 like, but is not totally flat and it rather good pinpointing sound location so its still not Grado like.

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

though I have been warned about the comfort of the GS 1000.

gs1000 uncomfortable? I don't think I've ever heard that. It's circimaural. You're probably thinking of the rs1

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #27 of 34
For solid top end with neutral mids and bass you could audition some Sony cans, the CD3000 has light bass, slightly plasticky mids and really tipped up treble. Famous FOTM cans on headfi, very easy to drive. Super colored imho, but if you like highs and don't want EQ they might do the trick, and you could find a used pair floating around. I really don't know what else to recommend, these define bright for me
smily_headphones1.gif
- and do have really good detail.

If you had an unlimited budget, the HD800s cure detail & brightness blues... orpheus killing high end
smily_headphones1.gif
you'll throw 90% of your CD collection out after you get a good HD800 setup!

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gs1000 uncomfortable? I don't think I've ever heard that. It's circimaural. You're probably thinking of the rs1

Well a fellow swede once sold a GS1000. I asked about comfort and Grados and he kind of warned me about that factor as being typically Grado. They wheren´t circumaural to him it sounded like? I do have pretty big ears but especially stiff ears so on ear tend to hurt.

Acix I surely hope I am getting back into the brighter era of Sony rather then dark area of Senns
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Well a fellow swede once sold a GS1000. I asked about comfort and Grados and he kind of warned me about that factor as being typically Grado. They wheren´t circumaural to him it sounded like? I do have pretty big ears but especially stiff ears so on ear tend to hurt.

Acix I surely hope I am getting back into the brighter era of Sony rather then dark area of Senns
biggrin.gif

IMO those Jumbopads are a pain in the a** when temperatures exceed 25°C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back