Recommendations of anti darkness headphones
Apr 8, 2010 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

oqvist

Headphoneus Supremus
I got a new DAC in the DAC19 that I like very much... Except for one thing there is a darkness going on with it. Just about all my gear I can sense it. the 435S with the velour pads which make it really bright (brighter then K701 I want to remember? Acix help out here I don´t have the K701 anymore. I can´t get that one anyway since I am going to watch movies with it.

I do have an equalizer but is it easy to equalize something as hard defined as "darkness"... Bass, mid range is more then good I just want a bit more top for pop/rock/movies.

So the headphones in question is supposed to satisfy my treble head more then anything. Bass light is not a problem. mid range can´t be to forward with some headphones like the DX 1000 so good balance between mid range/treble and bass light perhaps...

What does this sound like? SA5000? It has to be brighter then Pro 900/K701 and work well with movies. Good with voices and better then average soundstaging.

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 34
AD1000PRM? Even brighter than the sun. I had the K701 before and the PRM is far brighter but better than them at the same time.

SA5000 if you want some more bass then the AD1000PRM.

AD2000 is bass heavy compare to these, so not that.

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 34
In need of something bright to cut through the darkness? How about Grado for starters?

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 34
Better than average soundstage?

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 34
They need to at least project the sound forward and give me some space to breath. the Audio technica A900 did that so I am definiatly tempted on giving some other audio technica headphone another shot. The A900 didn´t sound all that natural though but the AD1000/AD2000 series is perhaps better? Quite a bit of models to go through. The CD 3000 is also of interest if they also fit the description.

edit: Acix Grados is hugely expensive over here. 2-3x the US prices. If I ever would try a Grado it would be the RS1 probably
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They need to at least project the sound forward and give me some space to breath. the Audio technica A900 did that so I am definiatly tempted on giving some other audio technica headphone another shot. The A900 didn´t sound all that natural though but the AD1000/AD2000 series is perhaps better? Quite a bit of models to go through. The CD 3000 is also of interest if they also fit the description.

The 2000 looks fun, and the CD 3000 are super sweet. If you can try the RS1, you'll know right away if you'll like it. The other option is to go with the Pro 900 and to remove the mod and they'll achieve some nice brightness.

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: Acix Grados is hugely expensive over here. 2-3x the US prices. If I ever would try a Grado it would be the RS1 probably
smily_headphones1.gif

I can buy them for you here (used or new) and send them to you as used, so maybe you won't have to pay the VAT on them. There are other options, too. PM me if you'd want to do something along those lines.

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 34
Try out the AD1000PRM, I like it more than AD2000 quite a bit but AD2000 have more bass and less bright. AD1000 is not in the same level even when the number suggests.

AD1000PRM have same driver as the AD2000 but different sound tuning (coating maybe).

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 34
I clicked this thread because I thought it was an interesting topic name
tongue.gif
I also notice something similar to what you're saying, there's something about audio-gd compass+earth hdam and dac19mk3 like music just drifting in the wind without much direction or force. I asked slim.a once what he thought about his dac19mk3 without a power conditioner, and if I recall, he and I both reached the conclusion that a power conditioner adds more life to the dac. I personally recommend this, if you can get a furman ac-215 for under $100 shipped to where you are, I think you will be very pleased even with neutral headphones like the pro 900. Furman is a well-respected power conditioner manufacturer and this entry level dac has most of the technology in their higher cost conditioners, made specifically for video but is good for audio.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 34
How about Symphones Magnums? Rhydon can buy the MS2is for you.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #12 of 34
SA5000, GS1000, ultrasone studio models, and some audio technicas are some of the brightest I can think of. I also thought the GMP 8.35 wtih the new pads was crazy bright. But to be honest, as soon as I can tell a headphone is this bright, I don't really listen to them anymore.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #13 of 34
sa5k's a tad too bright for my taste. So I reckon you could try that also. Brightness takes over the low end spectrum and makes it cold sounding. But who knows your gear could very well offset that effect.

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 34
Thanks for all the suggestions. I rediscovered my old Keces again now and it seems pretty clear the DAC19 can´t replace it fully so will have to run them in parallell. Best of two worlds I feel.

The German Maestros with the oval pads I remember being very bright yes and they can be on the Keces so my ears aren´t totally destroyed thankfully.

Otherwise as for Grados are they all very forward regarding soundstage or is some models actually good in that regard? I dont need extremely wide soundstaging have my speakers for that but need to be able to separate instruments and such easilly and would like the speech and such being projected forward. That is one reason the German Maestros don´t quite work for me. I get voices in both left and right ear so to speak.

What is the difference between RS1 and RS1i?

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 34
Well then go for the GS1000. It's the brightest headphone grado ever produced, and it has incredible soundstage, better than the K701 in size, depth, and layering. But it might have more bass presence than you seem to like. And so because the highs are so accentuated, and the bass is present, the mids are a bit recessed. I haven't heard the PS1000, but by all reports, it fixes that problem.

Otherwise, if you're going for brightness in a cheaper grado, get the original silver SR325 (not the new silver i version). You could find one pretty cheap if you put a WTB out, and they are almost as bright as the GS1000, but mids and bass are more in balance with each other. Soundstage isn't amazing of course, but seperation is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back