Recommendations needed: high-impedance headphones at $400 used
Mar 1, 2017 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

lousyreeds1

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have a headphone amp that's looking for a great pair of headphones.  It outputs 4 watts at 300 ohms, and word on the street is that it likes higher impedance cans.  Any recommendations that I might be able to find at $400 used, or a little more?  My first thought was HD800 or Beyer T1, but those both appear too rich for my blood on the used market.  I'd love to try some planars, but they all seem to be at lower impedance.  Thoughts very welcome - many thanks.  

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 13
Beyerdynamic T90 (250-Ohm) headphones.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122371996971?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322438357438?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 13
  Hi all,

I have a headphone amp that's looking for a great pair of headphones.  It outputs 4 watts at 300 ohms, and word on the street is that it likes higher impedance cans.  Any recommendations that I might be able to find at $400 used, or a little more?  My first thought was HD800 or Beyer T1, but those both appear too rich for my blood on the used market.  I'd love to try some planars, but they all seem to be at lower impedance.  Thoughts very welcome - many thanks.  

There is a used HiFiMAN HE560 on ebay for $489.00. Seller st. joie (1822) has 99.2% positive feedback. If you are interested in a nice planar.

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #5 of 13
Coincident Dynamo 34SE single-ended tube amp.  It's designed for speakers but as a headphone jack as well.  8 watts through the speaker terminals, 4 watts through the headphone jack.

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 13
Planars dont really follow the impedance laws as strictly as dynamics do...Dont ask me to explain the science behind it ,but i know what I hear and what others claim as well.

Planars like the extra juice,and it sounds like your amp has plenty to give.

HE500
HE560

Are two nice options.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 13
while it's never a bad idea to get proper electrical pairing, I wouldn't pick a headphone only based on that. 1/signature, 2/comfort, and only then electrical matters like noise floor, impedance ratio and other nerdy stuff.
are you going to enjoy having potentially a slightly better signal fidelity from the amp if the headphone sounds all wrong(as in not the signature you enjoy), and hurts your ears or you neck?

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for the helpful comments, all.  I'm leaning toward the Beyerdynamic T90, which are available refurbished for $260 on Amazon.  Seems like a great deal.  HE560 is another good option, but if I'm looking at similar quality/different sound signatures I'm inclined to save $200.  Castleofargh, thanks for your advice on not sweating impedance too much.  I've been thinking about the ZMF Vibros as well.  In general I'm looking for a pretty neutral sound signature with a tiny bit of warmth, and all else equal I prefer closed or semi-open cans.  I had a pair of Grado MF-2 in the past and am looking for something airier and more expansive this time around.  

Many thanks again.

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 13
  Thanks for the helpful comments, all.  I'm leaning toward the Beyerdynamic T90, which are available refurbished for $260 on Amazon.  Seems like a great deal.  HE560 is another good option, but if I'm looking at similar quality/different sound signatures I'm inclined to save $200.  Castleofargh, thanks for your advice on not sweating impedance too much.  I've been thinking about the ZMF Vibros as well.  In general I'm looking for a pretty neutral sound signature with a tiny bit of warmth, and all else equal I prefer closed or semi-open cans.  I had a pair of Grado MF-2 in the past and am looking for something airier and more expansive this time around.  

Many thanks again.

...and youre considering a Beyer
confused.gif

According to this review,author says it has "slightly more bottom and highs than T1"

While the extra bass is needed IMO,the extra highs arent.I owned the T1 for 2 years,and ran it thru a warm tube amp,and even then the term "warm" or even "warm-ish" would never be terms I used to describe the T1.

I still think you should go for a HE-500,but just my 2 cents.

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 13
  Well, I went for a pair of ZMF Ori.  So much for the budget...

Zach makes some nice sounding headphones,The Atticus is my next HP purchase...congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back