Recommendations in Post-Rock
Sep 29, 2007 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Denver Max

100+ Head-Fier
I have one post-rock album, Yanqui U.X.O. by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I really like it, and listen to it often. I've checked out other post-rock bands, the more popular ones like Sigur Ros and Explosions in the Sky are good but are not the same as GY!BE. The difference to me is Sigur Ros and others leave me uplifted after an album to the point that it seems superficial, and more ambient bands like The Album Leaf are more neutral, not a lot of emotion at all.

So, any suggestions to another good, dark, even depressing post-rock album to check out?

Thanks.

Sep 29, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 25
well you need to get the 2nd GY!BE album to start with. He has left us but shafts of light sometimes grace the corner of our rooms (album title) by A Silver Mt. Zion is sort of post-rock, and also sort of depressing, so you might look into that. i believe it's a GY!BE offshoot project so you might notice similarities. Mogwai and Do Make Say Think are also post rock.

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 25
Head over to afterthepostrock.com. A great forum for everything post-rock related.

Sep 30, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 25
Talk Talk Spirit of Eden. It's gentle, ambient music in some ways but with a dark undercurrent, strewn with emotional outbursts. It's personal music, the stuff that makes long late night listening sessions seem to pass in a matter of minutes. It completely envelops you in a timeless soundscape which washes your mind clean of the daily distractions and fills it with beautifully developed images of hope and despair ... sometimes both at the same time. Kind of like GYBE with a slight avant garde jazz bent, and with spare vocals.

Some of what makes GYBE special goes back to Brian Eno. The one he did with Jon Hassell is very dark, Ambient 4: On Land. Highly influential record. Some similarity to what Peter Gabriel later did on Passion, also with Hassell. Give a listen to "Mogwai Fear Satan" from Young Team. That's a favorite. Or some of the heavier post-rock bands like Slint. Maybe a song like "Nosferatu Man" from Spiderland. Or if you like guitar rock, Cul de Sac "A Voice Through A Cloud" from Crashes to Light, Minutes to its Fall. Both volumes of the Appleseed Cast Low Level Owl is very cool. For a dark sound with more emphasis on classical piano, Rachel's The Sea and the Bells is quite amazing....

Nov 26, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 25
A Silver Mt Zion - Horses in the Sky

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 25
The Sky Moves Sideways, Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, and Dead Wing, by Porcupine Tree on either Vinyl or DVD-A are really good. But this is more Prog meets Post Rock. Think Pink Floyd Meets Radio Head, Meets Sigur Ros.

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 25
if you liked yanqui u.x.o., i'd check out the rest of gsy!be's catalog. my favorite is f#a#(infinity). yanqui u.x.o. was their weakest effort i thought
cool.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 25
Nadja (mentioned above) is great, but they're from Toronto and their albums are on all different labels.

Also check out:

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
GY!BE - Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada (an EP, but it contains their best work)
Meanwhile Back in Communist Russia - My Elixir My Poison
Datura - Visions for the Celestial
Mogwai - Young Team
Mogwai - Happy Music for Happy People
Do Make Say Think - Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord is Dead (This one's absolutely essential. Another great band from Toronto.)
65daysofstatic - The Fall of Math
Efterklang - Tripper
Tides - Resurface
Mono - You are There

That should do for now.

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #12 of 25
Yndi Halda- Enjoy Eternal Bliss is probably my favourite debut EP done of all time

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 25
if you want the roots of post-rock, pick up Slint - Spiderland and Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden. both masterpieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back