Recommendations for the Best Tube Headphone Amp (pure tube or hybrid) at Around $500 (give or take a little)
Oct 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jacofman

Head-Fier
I am looking to buy a tube desktop headphone amp (pure tube or hybrid) amp in the $500 range, give or take a little. I will be using it with the AKG K702's (with replacement cable by Toxic Audio--Black Widow) and the Schiit Bifrost (USB and Uber Analogue). I will be using both a Xindak SCD-2 tube SACD/CD player and a heavily modified (by Electronic Visionary Systems) Samsung HD841 SACD/DVD player. I am currently using an Antique Sound Labs MG Head - OTL all tube headphone amp. I want something with a little more slam, more transparency, better sound staging and imaging, and much better bass (as the 702's are a bit bass shy). I listen to mostly electronica and well-recorded acoustic music of all kinds--classical, jazz, bluegrass, singer-songwriter, etc. A natural place to start would be the Schiit Lyr, since many people love it and I already have the Schiit Bifrost. Are there other choices that any of you head-fier's are passionate about that would be a good match for my system and needs, keeping in mind that the 702's are somewhat hard to drive and the amp needs to put out some serious juice? Looking forward to hearing from you........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back