Recommendations for shallow depth warm-sounding tower speakers
May 14, 2009 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ph0rk

Headphoneus Supremus
My budget is uncertain, probably $1kish. I have stands if some oversized bookshelves will do, but I'm not tied to using bookshelves.

What I want: Big sounding speakers that don't jut out 21" from the wall - larger drivers and a wider cabinet is fine, they can even be 20" wide if they have to be. Ideally they'd be 15" deep or less. Front ported, as they'll be smack against a wall.

I'd prefer no vandersteens as that huge cloth sock is begging for some cat destruction.

What I currently have: Boston VR-M60's, VR-MC still boxed (just moved and I think I'll be perfectly fine with 2-channel), Boston Bravo I's, and a Yamaha RX-V620. The Yammie is slated for replacement, probably with an HK high power 2-channel receiver. The VR-M60's are a bit too bright (to the point where I've resorted to about a quarter turn of the high tone control on the yammie). I don't think the yamaha is the source of the brightness as I had a pair of klipsch SB-3's several years ago and they weren't overbright (even with the horn). Warmth is as important as shallow depth.

The SB-3's had that nice chesty warmth from the 8" driver, I'd like something similar sounding with a bit more refinement. Think HD650 or DT250 ish in a tower that plays nice with flat panel displays.

I've eyeballed the Polk LSi 9 and Their RTi towers, but they tend towards narrow but deep. Any suggestions for stuff to go listen to? (there are audio shops around, but none close enough for a random pop by this weekend), unless there is one in Durham or Chapel Hill I haven't heard of.

May 14, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 8
If you are looking for warth, why not just go for a tube preamp or amp?
I'm selling 2 tube amps if you are interested.

May 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 8
Not a chance I'd go with a tube amp for something the wife uses more than me, assuming I'd ever go with a tube amp
wink.gif

I'm quite happy with solid state amplification, I'd just like some speakers that err on the side of laid back rather than brittle.

May 14, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 8
Welcome To Epos Acoustics
Spendor Audio Systems

Find some used spendors in your price range. On the average a little better than the Epos, but both are very nice and are warm and slightly forgiving. Another warm and good speaker company is Celestion Speakers.

May 14, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 8
My experience is that putting speakers too close to a wall can make them sound bright. F.i. my current dynaudio 122s turn uneven and sharp when being far too close to a wall; (slightly too close and they sound a little bit muffled with unpleasant bonk-bass).
So be sure to choose a close-to-wall design, in my room most speaker need almost 1 meter front-to-wall, so be careful and be sure your old speakers do not sound bright because of the placement.

May 14, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 8
Take a look at some of the cabinet variations for the Jordan JX92S singledrivers they have at their site. If I recall, they offer a cabinet that's thin and designed to be placed against the wall.

You'd have to contract out or DIY the cabinets, but they're very straightforward. Also, this would be an excellent opportunity to involve your wife in picking the wood, color and finish.

I was going to recommend pairing them with a SET amp for warmth, but you might want to consider one of the interesting designs from Nelson Pass' First Watt amps. Several handle singledrivers well.

May 14, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 8
Polk Audio SDA 2B or SDA 1-C or SDA SRS or SDA SRS 2 or SDA SRS 2.3

biggrin.gif
Hugely wide soundstage.

May 15, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 8
Here are a few areas you may want to check out: Von Schweikert Audio VR-1,
PSB Image B25, and check out: Paradigm, B&W, and Martin Logan as quality companies. Also, look for used equipment on Audiogon as they have some very good stuff and pretty good deals sometimes.
If your adventurous, go to a garage sale and buy some old speakers in a great solid box. Take out all the old material, add bracing and seal and clean and reinforce the box. Add better wiring and stuffing. Go on line and get good raw speakers, (after reading every comment you can), and then make your selection. You may save half your money. And you may get the sound closer to what you want.
Regardless; trust YOUR ears to what you want and not every advertisers opinion.
Hope this helps and let us know how things worked out....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back