Recommendations for relatively cheap canal earbuds?
Mar 21, 2007 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

dyzzy

New Head-Fier
I currently use a pair of Sony Fontopia MDR-EX71 earbuds and I want to replace them. The earbuds I've been looking at are:

JVC Marshmallow for being cheap and coming in pretty colors (basically the cheap alternative if I end up deciding the other choices aren't worth it)
V-Moda Bass Freq for pretty colors and I like bass
Etymotic Research ER6i because my friend uses these and Amazon sells them in my price range
Sennheiser CX300 and Shure E2c because just about everyone else I asked suggested one of the two

So, in comparison to the Sony earbuds and to each other, which earbuds would headfi.org users recommend? Also open for any other suggestions in the under $100 range.

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 32
Just got Marshmallows about 10 minutes ago from Wal-Mart, my first IEM and I am really enjoying them, exciting and isolating things, they don't get quite the detail of my ATH-A900's obviously, but they definitely exceeded my expectations.

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 32
I recommend the e2c with Kramer mod. Makes my old pair sound fun and took out the annoying tunnel sound that the e2c's had. I don't know how much bass you like but you can EQ in the ammount. Also, you can cut the tube a little to make it shorter so the e2cs are closer to your eardrums, which will probably get you more bass? Maybe...

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 32
The Marshmallows are very solid and have a rather fun sound signature. Their only downside, I think, is the port which allows air in and causes isolation to suffer dramatically.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkhkg11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like bass the ER6i is not a great choice. But out of those choices it has great resolution and clarity.

Yeah, good bass is one of the things I'm looking for. Well, I could always listen to my friend's pair to see how it sounds. Anyone know how the bass is on the other earbuds?

Let's see, what else am I looking for? I guess just some miscellaneous things, like Y-shaped cords (I hate one side being longer than the other), a decent case or something to hold the buds, good cord length, all that stuff.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 32
I'd say if you're to go with that list, I'd go with the vibes, I'm quite pleased with them for the price and after a nice 30-40hrs worth of burn in, it's very nice.

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by potatotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Marshmallows are very solid and have a rather fun sound signature. Their only downside, I think, is the port which allows air in and causes isolation to suffer dramatically.

Are you thinking of the V-moda Vibes? Marshmallows don't have a port and their isolation is ok.

Fetou-To increase detail in the Marshmallows, search for the Kramer mod. I did a variation of it, which I posted in that thread, and compared to my daughter's stock 'mallows, the modded ones sound much more detailed and crisp on the high end. I like it a lot.

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 32
I also have modded marshmallows. I kind of did my own mod, I completely removed the paper filter, but instead of putting foam back in, I let it empty. I then took ear plugs, the ones used for sleeping, cut holes in them and put them on as tips. They are much softer and easier to use, hi's are still there and bass is clear.

Mar 22, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #12 of 32
If you can afford it and not much of a basshead, i'd recommend ER-6is.

however, for the thrifty person in us, the FX33 is a great budget bud.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #14 of 32
Another vote for the 'mallows. I have a pair that I've performed the Kramer mod on and they're great for my travel, hiking, camping set when I wouldn't be upset if they got lost. Now I've started looking for a better home set and am leaning toward the Westone UM-1's.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 32
I think I'll probably end up getting the Marshmallows and then mod them if I don't like how they sound at first. Also, from reading the forums, it seems like replacing the tips is a good idea. Has anyone tried using the tips from the EX71 or the foam tips from the ER6i (my friend uses the weird tip with the three things coming out so I could probably borrow his foam ones)? I don't want to also have to get an extra pair of tips if I can just use ones I already have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back