Recommendations for relatively cheap canal earbuds?
Mar 22, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dyzzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll probably end up getting the Marshmallows and then mod them if I don't like how they sound at first. Also, from reading the forums, it seems like replacing the tips is a good idea. Has anyone tried using the tips from the EX71 or the foam tips from the ER6i (my friend uses the weird tip with the three things coming out so I could probably borrow his foam ones)? I don't want to also have to get an extra pair of tips if I can just use ones I already have.

ER6i tips won't work on Marshmallows. ER6i has the smaller diameter tube so its tips are compatible with Shure headphones (except E2). All of the canalphones have a larger diameter tube. You can use Shure E2 tips with most of them, but it is a tight fit usually.

I've heard a few of the lower end canalphones, including the bigger brother of Marshmallow, the FX55. These are ok alternatives to free earbuds, but none have much in the way of detail, soundstage, or a smooth frequency response. They can be fun, but I would highly suggest moving up to headphones that actually sound quite decent, such as ER6i or JBL220. ER6i has excellent isolation and great clarity and detail, but is not a "fun" headphone as such. For more fun, something like JBL220 is great, with a strong punchy bass, good detail, and a great soundstage for a canalphone.

Does it have to be an earbud/canalphone/iem? For less money you can get better sound in a standard headphone like KSC-75, PX100, or SR-60.

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dyzzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll probably end up getting the Marshmallows and then mod them if I don't like how they sound at first. Also, from reading the forums, it seems like replacing the tips is a good idea. Has anyone tried using the tips from the EX71 or the foam tips from the ER6i (my friend uses the weird tip with the three things coming out so I could probably borrow his foam ones)? I don't want to also have to get an extra pair of tips if I can just use ones I already have.

The Sony tips will work - they're very comfortable, but they muddy the sound a bit. If you decide to go with them, make sure you do the Kramer modification to open up the highs.

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by slindeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it have to be an earbud/canalphone/iem? For less money you can get better sound in a standard headphone like KSC-75, PX100, or SR-60.

Short and blunt, yes. I want something that'll fit in my pocket when wrapped around my iPod.

I tried out my friend's ER-6i's today, and I loved them except for two things. 1) Just like I thought, I didn't like the bass on them. 2) The tips (tri-flange) always came off and stayed in my ear whenever I took out the buds.

Have there been any mods for the ER-6i's to improve bass? If not, which earbuds on my list (or under $100, preferably $50-60) have the closest sound quality but with better bass?

Edit: After looking through the forums a bit more, I'm starting to lean towards the V-Moda Vibes. It seems like the only thing people don't like about them is the lack of isolation, but sometimes (especially when I'm listening to music while talking to my friends) I just want to hear the outside world.

Mar 24, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm...jbl 220.

do a search on it. someone on the board did a comparison on it with v-moda. you may like it.

After reading that comparison, it sounds like I'd prefer the Vibes.

Any other opinions?

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #22 of 32
ep-630
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The vibes sound alright, but they're not really worth their price tag is what I heard.

My reading of the Vibe threads doesn't agree with that comment. But I guess each person needs to form their own opinion.

***IF*** I spend $100US on earphones, it will probably be on a pair of Vibes. But being part Scottish and mostly cheap, I'll probably get another pair of Marshmallows to play with. Wish tips were easier to get here in the Canadian BC interior.

Steve

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #24 of 32
I'd like to add that if you are going to get the vibes, be prepared for almost zero isolation, so if that is in anyway a factor don't buy them
Their sound and style is good though, so for those reasons it was slightly tough giving them to my girlfriend.

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you thinking of the V-moda Vibes? Marshmallows don't have a port and their isolation is ok.

Sure they do. Holding it cord-up, have a look at the top of one of the earpieces - there's definitely a hole there.

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #26 of 32
yes, marshmellows do have a port.. but for ~15 bucks they can't be beat. i have tried most of the sub 100 phones (er6i, e2c, super.fi3, ex71, ex90, etc) and must say for about 1/5 of the price, the marsh is very good buy. i actually prefre them over my e2c, if only for better bass...

Mar 25, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by potatotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure they do. Holding it cord-up, have a look at the top of one of the earpieces - there's definitely a hole there.

Potatotron have you actually used Marshmallows? or just looked at them?

Yes there is a tiny hole on what I would call the underside not the top.

I just did a tiny test. Music playing on my computer, not real load but normal volume for me.

I tried three pair of cheap 'phones: Maxell EB-425 earbuds, Maxell HB-202, and Sony MDR-W014. No isolation at all that I could detect.

a pair of earplugs (not ear phones but plugs). YES - isolation. Could still hear the words softly but clearly, and the music was less noticable. these are said to be rated at 27 db (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42207,46907)

Marshmallows - seemed to be the same isolation as the earplugs.

Unfortunately, thats all I have available to test with. I don't think I would want more isolation, especially if walking around near traffic.

Steve

Mar 25, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeZ5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Potatotron have you actually used Marshmallows? or just looked at them?

Yes there is a tiny hole on what I would call the underside not the top.

I just did a tiny test. Music playing on my computer, not real load but normal volume for me.

I tried three pair of cheap 'phones: Maxell EB-425 earbuds, Maxell HB-202, and Sony MDR-W014. No isolation at all that I could detect.

a pair of earplugs (not ear phones but plugs). YES - isolation. Could still hear the words softly but clearly, and the music was less noticable. these are said to be rated at 27 db (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42207,46907)

Marshmallows - seemed to be the same isolation as the earplugs.

Unfortunately, thats all I have available to test with. I don't think I would want more isolation, especially if walking around near traffic.

Steve

Why, yes. I used them extensively for a while as my hold-over phones between a pair of E2cs with cord failure and a pair of E4cs - which, I might add, have much, much better isolation than the Marshmallows.

The Marshmallows do indeed have a port, and it is in fact that tiny hole. As for your earplugs, perhaps you ought to consider another pair if isolation is your goal, because if they're similar to the Marshmallows, then they're not doing a very good job.

Mar 25, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeZ5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My reading of the Vibe threads doesn't agree with that comment. But I guess each person needs to form their own opinion.

***IF*** I spend $100US on earphones, it will probably be on a pair of Vibes. But being part Scottish and mostly cheap, I'll probably get another pair of Marshmallows to play with. Wish tips were easier to get here in the Canadian BC interior.

Steve

i beg to differ. i sold mine right away as did the owner. i'm not saying they sound bad. they might sound better than...say ep630's, but it's like a 5 dollar difference...maybe the built of the moda's is better, but just based on sound quality, vibes are not worth it AT all. do not ever spend your money on the vibes unless you can get them for less than 50 bucks. i think under 50 is what they should be priced at and not the ridiculous 70-100 dollar price tag. people made these out to sound like audio bliss ESPECIALLY if you look at the vibes thread. why would you even bring the vibes thread up to back up that the vibes are good? of course everybody on that thread will be raving about it. i say try the vibes if you like risking your money because the biggest chance is that you'd rather keep the money and go with a cheaper pair like the ep630's or the marshmallows.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #30 of 32
To the guy who is "part Scottish": so am I, and I'm not cheap, just thrifty of course, though I like to call it maximising bang for the buck.

I am not able to audition expensive buds around here. The most expensive I have tried out are the Shure E2C and E3C. Talk about not worth it! Look, get some EP-630s (=CX300?, close anyway) for CAD$40 and some Shure tri-flanges (3 sets for CAD$11 IIRC). With the tri-flanges you can adjust how they fit in your ear, from very isolating to almost none. Or you can experiment and cut them up to different sizes. For that ~$50, the Shures at 4-5X the price (in Canada) are a joke. You'll feel a hell of a lot better porting cheap buds around than something more delicate and a lot more expensive that is better used at home. The cheap Shures do have slightly better mids, but if you're in a position/environment to really enjoy them, way better off with some similarly priced open phones IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back