Recommendations for neutral 100-300$ closed or IEMs?
Aug 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GirgleMirt

500+ Head-Fier
I've been using Sony V6s for a while, but the pads have worn off (new ones on the way), but I'm thinking of upgrading them... My main issue with them is that they do leak some sound which means that I often can't listen them as loud as I'd want to. So, I'm thinking about getting new ones, or maybe IEMs... The trouble with IEMs I think is comfort, as they'll be worn for long periods, they might not be the most comfortable? For sound, neutral would be best, not too bassy or trebbly, just balanced sound.

So far, I'm thinking, Shure 440; 99$, headphone.com has them in their top 10 but I'm not so sure they'd be such an upgrade to the Sony V6s... Maybe some Shures or Etys, but then there's a bit of the price and comfort factor... In fact IEM seems a better idea of isolation, but comfort... Meh...

Ideas? Thanks!

Oh yeah, and have a Magi and Aune T1 arriving soon, so I'll probably be using one of the two with the new headphones.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 5
You can get some reviews from the amazon fist.
4.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 5
You can get some reviews from the amazon fist.
4.gif

What does that mean? If you're talking about reading amazon reviews about headphones, I don't know... BLOWS gets 4/5 ratings with more than 2/3 of the people rating 5/5 stars and even their speakers rate quite high...

For the Etys, any particular model is recommended for the bang for the buck? Etymotic HF5 at 150$ maybe?

the Shure SE425 at 300$ rates in the top 10 headphones < 500$, so I'm wondering whether they'd be worth the investment... But the Etymotic ER-4PT's descriptions might make it sound better?

ER-4PT 300$
Perhaps clearest, most detailed audiophile sound at this price
Excellent musical resolution of mids & highs subtleties
Top isolation / ambient noise-blocking ability just like earplugs

Shure SE425 250$
Reference sound and clarity from dual-driver balanced armature design
Detachable earpieces allow easy cord upgrade or replacement if ever needed
Shapeable / flexible cable can be routed as desired
Amongst most comfortable in-ear headphones available
Free 2-year Shure 'repair or replace' manufacturer's warranty

Or 1/2 price of the 4P...

Etymotic HF5 $149.00
the 'fifth' generation of audiophile in-ear headphone technology from Etymotic Research. Bringing much of the sound quality of their top-level reference ER4 series down to a lower price, the HF5 fully deliver Ety's signature accuracy and musical clarity. Deep earplug-like fit ensures the best isolation versus any other headphone type, and their low impedance means clean acoustics directly from your portable player of choice. Pick your color.

Hmm....

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 5
Hmm just a few suggestions:
Beyerdynamic DT-1350 for a neutral almost bright sound.
Sony MDR-1r for a slightly bassy sound.
Audio Technica ATH-900
Audio Technica M50's have a slight bass emphasis.
Sennheiser Amperior never heard but I've heard they are a nice neutral.
V-Moda M80 slightly bassy
Sennheiser HD-25 ii--don't know much about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back