Recommendations for moving from AKG K501's to Closed back cans
Sep 2, 2015 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

psklenar

Head-Fier
Good morning!

I could have sworn I had an account on this forum more than a decade ago, but it didn't recognize my ID nor email.  So here I am, beginning again. :)

Back in the late 1990s (maybe as late as 2000?) I bought an AKG K501 and a Headroom Total Airhead for listing to high bit-rate MP3's, the occasional WAV rip and eventually FLAC files from various portable devices (currently using an Android (5.1.1) tablet as my music source).  This was great when I worked in a private cube with high walls.  Didn't bother anyone.  Now, however, I live in a four person "open cube" with low walls.  My old AKG's are no longer appropriate.  Read: my coworkers can hear everything and they don't like it. :) 

Unless I have to attend or dial into a meeting, I can be listening for up to 9hrs/day.  I listen to a variety of types of music: Prog Rock (Yes, Rush, ELP), Pop Rock (Styx, Kansas, Journey), Light Jazz (Rippingtons), newer stuff (Fun., Mumford & Sons, Fallout Boy, One Republic), Christmas music during that time of year :) , etc.

I need to get a set of closed back, over the ears, very well isolated cans.  I've read a lot of reviews and keep thinking "I've found the one", until I read the next review. :)  At this point, I'm really liking everything I've read about the Oppo PM-3's (I don't own planar speakers, but have friends who do, and I really enjoy listening to them).  So I guess my price range is in the $500, or preferably :) , less range.

So ... let the challenge begin.  Given that I still love the sound of my AKG K501's, what do folks think might be a good, over-the-ears,  CLOSED BACK replacement for them?  With or without a portable DAC/amp and for $500 or less.

Thank you,
pat----

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 8
I've had a Headroom Maxed Out Home Amp for about 14 years now and the sucker's never had a repair or even blinked. 

For $499 you've got to get the Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog if you're going to be listening through the Airhead. If you're going unamped an if you don't mind a little more bass weight there's Sony MDR-1A's and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 8
  I've had a Headroom Maxed Out Home Amp for about 14 years now and the sucker's never had a repair or even blinked. 

For $499 you've got to get the Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog if you're going to be listening through the Airhead. If you're going unamped an if you don't mind a little more bass weight there's Sony MDR-1A's and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0.

Aww yeah, alpha dogs. +1

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Thank you Japheel.

Have either of you ever had the chance to listen to a pair of K501's and if so, are you saying the Alpha Dog's are a comparable sound?

thank you!
pat----

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 8
  Thank you Japheel.

Have either of you ever had the chance to listen to a pair of K501's and if so, are you saying the Alpha Dog's are a comparable sound?

thank you!
pat----

I've only heard a k701, but yes, the alpha dogs had a similar tonal balance with very clear highs, warmer mid range, and definitely a more linear and impactful bass. The speed of the alpha dogs also smacks the k701 and it gives the alpha dogs a smoother and more effortless sound. The k701 had it beat in imaging though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back