Recommendations for Metal and Metalcore music. (~$300)
May 8, 2010 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

saidthebed

New Head-Fier
Oh hi.

I currently have a pair of AT ATH-A900's
, and I'm looking to upgrade. I tried searching but i guess my search terms are a bit off.

I mostly listen to metal and metalcore music with the occasional bass heavy hardstyle/techno music. The a900s just don't have enough kick for me anymore and id like to upgrade them. I have a ibasso d2-boa that i can use as an amp if needed, its all i have and I'm not really willing to spend money on another amp now. My budget is around $300.

Some of the senns and bd's have good reviews but i wanted some input from some people who have the same taste in music.

Thanks for the help.

May 8, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 17
if ur debating the sennheiser line for metal, get the 650. It has more bass....

May 8, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Grado SR225i's with hard rock and metal are great together...

x2 and a hearty amen.

so, your budget is $300.  i'd recommend you get the sr225i for $200, save a hundred and treat youself to a great meal.
biggrin.gif

they are simply ace headphones with hard rock and heavy metal.

May 9, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 17
the best cans i have owned for metal would be the alessandro ms2i... i love the focus on the distorted electric guitar sound, and the way the bass is substantial but not too obtrusive to the music... i amped it with the c-2c and the little dot mk2 and i didn't notice a significant difference, so i don't think you'd need to spend for an amp for these anymore. i also love the way it presents detail. great cans for the price, and shipping included to boot :) i would recommend the beyer dt990 if you do not like the aggressive in-your-face sound of the grado/alessandro. the ms2i makes me wanna tap my foot to the beat more, but these cans deliver bass in quantity if you like more of that over detail. you need to amp this however if you want it to sound at its best. out of the box it sounded horrible, but after 200 hours or so, they became my metal cans, and because i sold my ms2i already...

May 9, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
x2 and a hearty amen.

so, your budget is $300.  i'd recommend you get the sr225i for $200, save a hundred and treat youself to a great meal.
biggrin.gif

Or, eat KD and pick up the 325is which I personally think are far superior to the 225is, ESPECIALLY for this kind of music  :)

May 9, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #12 of 17
Seems all of my posts are being held for moderation, made 2 addition posts in this thread yesterday and they still aren't here...

Anyway, the 225s would be noticeably different from the 900s right?

Also, what difference do the flat pads make?

May 9, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
x2 and a hearty amen.

biggrin.gif

Would these be a noticeable difference over the 900s?

Quote:
SR225 + TTVJ Flat Pads = \m/ \m/

What difference do the pads make? Closer fit?

May 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Seems all of my posts are being held for moderation, made 2 addition posts in this thread yesterday and they still aren't here...

Anyway, the 225s would be noticeably different from the 900s right?

Also, what difference do the flat pads make?

Yes, a big difference from the 900s. Some prefer one, some prefer the other (I prefer the Grados).

The flats make the bass stand out more and really collapse the sound stage to a very intimate presentation. I like both the standard L-cushions and the flats for different music.

May 9, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 17
thanks guys this was very helpful.

i have been listening to my ath-es7 which at first i absolutely HATED because of the lack of bass. then, i tried it with "deep" setting on my ipod and a CMOYBB with the BB on, and now i listen to it straight out of my ipod. i miss bass, but i think im falling in love with the forward, in-your-face sound. 

has anyone heard the ath-es7 and the grado 225 that can compare them? i really would like a touch more bass, but mostly would like more impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back