Recommendations for headphone cable replacement?
Dec 22, 2006 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Etrips

100+ Head-Fier
So my Goldring DR150 cables took a turn for the worst the other day, and now I'm looking to replace them. Only thing is, I have no idea where or what to look for when looking for new cables. Basically I need a mini to mini cable, anyone have any suggestions?
frown.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 19
If it takes a standard 1/8" to 1/8" then you have lots of choice. Let the arguing begin but as a overseas member I will bow out.......

Dec 22, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 19
Unless it is something proprietary you should have a lot of choices, everything from $10 at Radio Shack to $500 from a voodoo cable vendor. Just pick something at the low end of the price range that seems well-built and be done with it, as in spite of what you are about to hear there will be absolutely no audible difference between any of them.

Dec 22, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless it is something proprietary you should have a lot of choices, everything from $10 at Radio Shack to $500 from a voodoo cable vendor. Just pick something at the low end of the price range that seems well-built and be done with it, as in spite of what you are about to hear there will be absolutely no audible difference between any of them.

That's quite a bold statement to be making. Care to prove it?

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

right. it's all for the looks
rolleyes.gif

i was just wondering, why do you need a mini to mini?

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With analog interconnects, I have noticed a big difference between the ratshack interconnects vs AR or Monster interconnects. Digital connections I don't think it matters so much (I'm just going to stick with Acoustic Research always). I just ordered a Silver Dragon for my HD650s, as well as some silver interconnects from Drew. So I certainly hope I'll hear a sonic difference!
icon10.gif
If not, I'll be voicing my dissapointment in this forum!

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No real need, the laws of physics do that for me. However if you don't happen to believe in them then you are free to demonstrate otherwise by conducting the proper blind tests. Funny that as long as this debate has raged no one has ever accomplished that.
wink.gif

But I'm not going to get into yet another silly cable debate, just wanted to save the guy a bunch of snake oil pitches -- although some of the 'technical' sections of the cable sites can make for a pretty hilarious and entertaining read. Ultimately though it's his (and your) money, do with it what you will.

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 19
Well I'm going to agree that it's snake oil to suggest a recable for someone who isn't liking their headphone. Interconnects are not going to drastically change a sound charactistic the way a different source or headphone will. However, I feel once you've found your ideal system, then it's valid to play around with cables. They're not all made equally......they all have varying amounts of conductivity and sheilding from interference. With ratshack cables vs my current AR cables, I have noticed some subtle noise off the ratshacks when it's analog. There's also a difference in frequency response: ratshacks sound warmer to me, ARs seem more neutral. I'm going to be interested to hear the one silver interconnect I'm getting to try. It's probably not going to be as drastic a difference as going from ratshack to the AR pro series: since there are diminishing returns for a proper conductive material with adequate shielding.

As for blind tests, check the forum and you'll see that's been done to death too! Nay sayers are always going to question if the test was properly done....so this debate is just going to rage
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 19
And to clarify my point, I'd agree that there are differences among cables in their basic construction that could possibly impact their functionality, such as if the connecters are sized improperly or are made of a material that corrodes easily, either of which could conceivably cause some noise although the cable would have to be pretty junky for this to be a problem. Shielding is even more iffy... while it's at least within the realm of possibility for shielding to be inadequate I'd expect that you'd almost have to try to create a condition where this would be a problem. When you start talking about frequency response or other qualities of sound though you move into the realm of a practical impossibility of there being any difference that would be audible at audio frequencies. $100/ft cable or zip cord will sound the same. This thread can go on for pages (as it has so often in the past and probably will this time, although without me as I am headed out shopping) and that basic fact won't change.

My advice to anyone looking for a cable replacement would be to get a set of lower-end cables that appear to be well-constructed (and I would include the better Radio Shack cables in this group) and be done with it. I fully realize though that as long as people have money in their pocket other options will be explored regardless of the science behind it, thus has always been the case.

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

My advice to anyone looking for a cable replacement would be to get a set of lower-end cables that appear to be well-constructed (and I would include the better Radio Shack cables in this group) and be done with it, but I fully realize that as long as people have money in their pocket...

Until I hear more expensive interconnects for myself, I'm gonna say the AR pro series is the best set to get off the street (way cheaper then Monster brand and really well made/ clean sounding). I don't think anyone will argue that cables make the least difference in SQ. These silver interconnects I'm getting are still no where near $100, so I'm still at that point of being skeptical about these insanely expensive ones. Of course if I were to buy an interconnect costing over $100, I'd probably be really wishing for a change in sound quality.....so I may percieve a difference even if there wasn't one. Best to conduct this experiment when it's not cables that you own!
eggosmile.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 19
First off I want to apologize for taking so long to reply as it's a mad house out there trying to shop! As bringing up such a topic which no one seems to agree upon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right. it's all for the looks
rolleyes.gif

i was just wondering, why do you need a mini to mini?

I need a mini to mini because the DR150's have a detachable cable to the headphones. So thus, the need for a mini to mini
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by IlikeMusic
But I'm not going to get into yet another silly cable debate, just wanted to save the guy a bunch of snake oil pitches -- although some of the 'technical' sections of the cable sites can make for a pretty hilarious and entertaining read. Ultimately though it's his (and your) money, do with it what you will.

Well even if it is snake oil pitches, fact is I still need a new cable since the ones I have suffered a snag and redering it useless
frown.gif
That was my only gripe about the Goldring cables... it was too long!
redface.gif
Also I don't really want to spend money on something cheap that looks like it was made by some kids. So asthetics is mildly important in the choice making.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose
Until I hear more expensive interconnects for myself, I'm gonna say the AR pro series is the best set to get off the street (way cheaper then Monster brand and really well made/ clean sounding). I don't think anyone will argue that cables make the least difference in SQ. These silver interconnects I'm getting are still no where near $100, so I'm still at that point of being skeptical about these insanely expensive ones. Of course if I were to buy an interconnect costing over $100, I'd probably be really wishing for a change in sound quality.....so I may percieve a difference even if there wasn't one. Best to conduct this experiment when it's not cables that you own!

When are you expecting your interconnects from Drew? (I'm assuming that this is the Drew from Moonaudio?) I actually emailed him last night asking some questions. So I'm definatley interested in hearing from you on how they sound. I really like the way his cables look too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Etrips /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When are you expecting your interconnects from Drew? (I'm assuming that this is the Drew from Moonaudio?) I actually emailed him last night asking some questions. So I'm definatley interested in hearing from you on how they sound. I really like the way his cables look too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I paid Drew (Moon Audio guy) on Wednesday. I assume he shipped yesterday. Since he's in NC, and I'm in Atlanta......I hope the cables will come sometime in the middle of the week (because of Christmas madness). The price for the Silver Dragon seemed good compared to other expensive reconnects (amazed at how they're all going up in price). I'll PM you impressions of them and my one pair of Silver Sonics interconnects I'm getting. Apart from the sonics I've heard about the Silver Dragon, I have to agree with you about it looking nicer then some of the other recables: ones that get into neon pink or blue are not my thing!

Dec 22, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #14 of 19
i suggest you buy the cheap one unless you are going to recable the whole thing..

i might be wrong but i dont like to have it unbalanced, at least on my pairs. let say you are going to recable them with canare or cardas. then, the IC is going to go cardas on left(assuming that the plug is on the left side of the headphone) and cheap stock cable from left driver to right driver. And that might cause some kind of imbalance. just a thought..

Dec 22, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apart from the sonics I've heard about the Silver Dragon, I have to agree with you about it looking nicer then some of the other recables: ones that get into neon pink or blue are not my thing!

I hear you there!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep
i suggest you buy the cheap one unless you are going to recable the whole thing..

i might be wrong but i dont like to have it unbalanced, at least on my pairs. let say you are going to recable them with canare or cardas. then, the IC is going to go cardas on left(assuming that the plug is on the left side of the headphone) and cheap stock cable from left driver to right driver. And that might cause some kind of imbalance. just a thought..

Hmm never even thought of that. But yes, the cable goes into the left side only into the headphones. But from my understanding the stock cables on the goldrings arent too shabby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back