Recommendations for fun-sounding flathead earbuds
Dec 30, 2022 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EJnP

New Head-Fier
Hey, everyone. I'm still somewhat new to all this, and I'm not too familiar with all the technical stuff so I'm hoping more knowledgeable people here would be willing to suggest some earbuds that fit my criteria.

I already have a couple IEMs that I use, but now I'm looking for some open earbuds to use when situational awareness is a priority. My budget is a somewhat flexible $120. I would prefer to spend less but am open to going a bit over budget if there's something really worth the cost. I'm looking for something easy to drive and has good bass; I'd prefer buds with more of a V shape and are fun to listen to. I mostly listen to kpop/jpop, rock and metal, and some EDM. I also plan to use these earbuds for casual gaming so something with pretty decent soundstage and imaging would be ideal. An inline mic would be nice but definitely not required.

I've done a bit of research myself, but honestly I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the choices out there. Currently, the only buds I have my eyes on are the FiiO FF3, but I would appreciate more alternatives to look into. Thanks in advance!

Dec 30, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 5
Hey, everyone. I'm still somewhat new to all this, and I'm not too familiar with all the technical stuff so I'm hoping more knowledgeable people here would be willing to suggest some earbuds that fit my criteria.

I already have a couple IEMs that I use, but now I'm looking for some open earbuds to use when situational awareness is a priority. My budget is a somewhat flexible $120. I would prefer to spend less but am open to going a bit over budget if there's something really worth the cost. I'm looking for something easy to drive and has good bass; I'd prefer buds with more of a V shape and are fun to listen to. I mostly listen to kpop/jpop, rock and metal, and some EDM. I also plan to use these earbuds for casual gaming so something with pretty decent soundstage and imaging would be ideal. An inline mic would be nice but definitely not required.

I've done a bit of research myself, but honestly I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the choices out there. Currently, the only buds I have my eyes on are the FiiO FF3, but I would appreciate more alternatives to look into. Thanks in advance!

You can ask more in the dedicated earbuds headfi thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/

The folks there are very friendly and helpful.

Jan 1, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 5
I use a pair of Venture Electronics VE Monk and tried them gaming too and if I had a laptop I'd use them for gaming & music. They're $10 on Amazon, and sit on the ear with a big soundstage. They come with foam pads, I just wash and dry them to make them softer and they fit better. The Soundmagic E80c are really good for the $80 I got a pair for, but nowhere near the value for money of the VE Monk. I think there's a plus version for $2 more with a mic, I just have the regular one. For me, the best ear buds are the ones I'm not afraid to travel with, in case they get broken or lost.

Jan 1, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 5
If were you I would not go for expensive earbuds immediately - flathead earbuds have way less bass than IEMs, I am not sure if they are sufficient in bass region for your tastes.

In my opinion Yincrow X6 seems to be a great option for you. It has satisfying SQ for the price, in particular quite good bass for flathead both in quantity and quality. However, if it is not a problem for you if you spend your budget even if earbuds would not turn out to be your thing, as far as I am concerned Fiio FF3 is an interesting proposition.

Also, check out forum member's - RikudouGoku 's- DIY flathead earbuds. Reportedly they are amazing sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back