Recommendations for flight travel and overall quality
Jan 20, 2014 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

irfan22

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I wanted to get some recommendations for a pair of headphones that are good for flight travel as well just listening at home. 

A few things to consider...

Flying
 I fly 1 or 2 times a month domestically (2-3 hr flights) and would like headphones that can do a good job blocking out external noise. I am more looking at ones that can do this passively than actively as I have heard that active ones degrade the sound quality. Something else that is important in regards to flying is I want cans that will not leak sound since I do not want the person sitting beside me to be interrupted or hear what I am listening to. 

Portability
 With the theme of traveling I would like a pair of cans that are not bulky. Something that can maybe fold up and is compact? I have a limited amount of room in my laptop bag. Also, I will be using these mainly with my iPhone 5s and would like to have the 3-button cable so i can skip songs/change volume. 

Sound
 Right off the bat I just want to say I am a novice in the area of sound quality. I probably couldn't tell you if i am a bass head or want a more balanced sounding pair of cans.  I do listen to a variety of music types including indie rock, pop, alternative, and hip-hop. Lot of my music comes from pitchfork.com so it varies. I will not be listening to classical music or metal.  I would also use these to watch movies with and listen to podcasts especially on a plane.

Price
 I am willing to invest in a pair for up to $300 if they are worth it. I am assuming with this price tag most of my criteria will be met.

What am I currently looking at
V -Moda m100 – I feel like these could be ideal for me. Great reviews on amazon. Supposed to great for portability and does a good job for noise-isolation.  Only cons could be ear cup size is too small (of course this is subjective) but could be fixed with XL replacements if I need them. Also, these come with a one-button cable so I won’t be able to control volume. It maybe small but that bothers me especially if your phone is in your pocket walking thru an airport.

What I had before; 

I previously owned a pair of Audio-Tech M50 that sounded good but were not ideal for travel. Even though they folded up they were bulky and stuck out of my laptop bag. The coiled cable was so annoying b/c it was so long. I really had to tuck the wires inside my pocket.  I sold these after a year b/c my right ear would hurt after putting them on for 30 minutes. The shape of the earcup changed to more of a rounded shape on that side…not sure if that is the reason why.

I tested a pair of Harmon Kardon CL recently. They were pretty comfortable but I thought they were odd looking and made metal noises when you made head movements. I believe this was b/c of the top metal touching the leather. The sound quality was good but did not “wow” me.

OK, thoughts? Suggestions? 

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 19
I was recently on flight and can confirm that Sennheiser Momentums work well in aeroplanes. I was listening my ipod on moderate volume level and it blocked out outside noise very effectively (not completely though.)
Momentums also include carrying case and an extra cable with idevice controls. The sound quality is amazing and wearing comfort is good for multiple hours of listening (although I've heard people with larger-than-normal sized ears complaining about comfortability issues.)

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 19
You should consider IEMs (earbuds) for traveling, across the board they have better noise isolation than full-size headphones. I own both full-size headphones and IEMs and I've never traveled with full-size headphones, the increase in size and decrease in noise isolation is just not worth it for me.

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 19
You can pick your favourite IEM and then wear work safety rated hearing protection over that. Isolates extremely well.

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 19
Hello,

I recommend looking into IEM instead as well. Look into UE900 if you are willing to spend more or the Jabra Vox if you wish to safe some cash. Both are great for the price but paying more and go for the UE900 will definitely be a smarter choice.

If you really wish to stick with full size, there is the Ultimate Ears UE6000 with Active Nc which is also worth considering.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 19
I agree with the others.
For passive cancellation IEMs are the way to go.
If you're dead set on headphones I prefer the momentums over ear to the M100 in terms of sound quality.
I hated the M100 when I tried them so I wouldn't recommend them (of course preferences can be very different)

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 19

I bought a pair of M100s to try out. I used them on my last flight and I have to say they blocked 80% of noise on the plane. Sound quality is pretty good but $300 is just too expensive for these.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #13 of 19
So I returned the M100. They were terrific but the price point killed me. Especially since I would need to purchase new cables. Found the M100 brand new on ebay for $248. Might pull the trigger. Assuming I will still have the 2 year warranty? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131104968368?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quote:
  When I'm flying or riding the train, it's Etymotic HF5 IEMs for me. Noise insulation is perfect and I can even sleep with them as earplugs.

Joachim

These got good reviews on cnet and amazon. My only reservation with these and all IEMs is sticking these into my ear canal. Last time i tried a pair they felt uncomfortable. These are supposed to go deep into them.

Not on Amazon.  But found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4FT-3-5MM-AUX-REPLACEMENT-AUDIO-CABLE-RED-W-CONTROL-TALK-IPHONE-5-4S-4-3GS-IPOD-/190841734910?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2c6f0dc6fe

Thanks! These look good. Hopefully they are decent quality. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #15 of 19
I don't think V-Moda will warrant any unauthorized purchase. Make sure you contact with the seller and ask about it
smily_headphones1.gif

I did. They said "comes with 1 year because it was imported from Australia supplier"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back