Recommendations for earbuds for RIO MP3 player
Jul 8, 2003 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BrooklynRick

100+ Head-Fier
Any recommendations for earbuds for RIO MP3 player. Looking to upgrade b/c the buds that came with player suck and are breaking. Something under 40 bucks, that stays in ear pretty good while i work out. I read a good review on the Sony NUDE ex71s at IGN and are considering them, or maybe any other that you guys can reccomend. Thanks.

Jul 8, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 14
mx500

Jul 8, 2003 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 14
I think MX500's a terrible work-out phone. You can hardly hear anything in noise environment where loud musics are played (i.e., 24hr Fitness Club). Plus, the ear pieces are just too big for normal ears, not comfortable and cable's short. Although MX500 may sound tad bit better I prefer Sony MDREX71 because it isolates better. With MX500 you have to raise the sound volume at max otherwise you will go nut hearing outside noise mixing up with your music (again, I am talking about Gym where they play musics loud). I took MX500 once to Gym but never do it again. With budget under $40, I'd go with Ex71 provided that you are using it in noisy Gym environment.

Jul 8, 2003 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 14
I personally wouldn't recommend the EX71 at all as they are the most disappoint 'phones I own. Before you decide to buy it, do a search on the EX71 here at head-fi. I thought I read enough reviews on them, but after I actually bought them, I didn't like them, and I found even more opinions from other people here who didn't like them either.

Just warning you about this in case you might get disappointed.

Jul 8, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by dragonlong

Just warning you about this in case you might get disappointed.

I just want to do the same thing. The EX71 were the absolute worst headphones that I have personally heard. The only worse headphones are stock. They are highly unbalanced and harsh. Bass is very bloated and boomy, mids are non existant, and the treble is overboosted. This is all my personal opinion so you might like them still. If you do buy them, make sure you do so from a place where you can easily return them. I did that and am extremely glad. I returned them within a week or purchasing them. If you want canal-type headphones go for some shures or etys. They are both TONS better.

Jul 8, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Hiker
The only worse headphones are stock.

Quite true. I completely agree, although sometimes I think that the EX71 are so bad that there might be some stock headphones out there that are better.

I still have my EX71 as a warning to myself to watch out for "bad" headphones in the future.

Jul 8, 2003 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 14
The MX-400/500 really are quite good, and even better for the price. I first got the EX-70's to replace my stock iPod earphones, but had the same opinion as you guys. Horrible. The iPod ones blow them away in sound quality. I got rid of the EX-70's within a few days I think. I ended up with the Etymotic ER-4P's, granted at a much higher price. But I couldn't be happier. But BrooklynRick, if you want earbuds, definitely check out the Sennheisers. Too cheap not to.

Jul 8, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 14
MadDog,
How do these sound? I have never seen these before, nor have I heard of the brand. Have you tried them out?

Hiker

Jul 8, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #13 of 14
Sorry, I haven't yet tried this but it is made by one of affiliated companies of Sensaphonics which is a highly reputable canal ear monitors makers. If all those excellent testimonials from the users on their web is indeed true, it is surely worth a try at $20.95.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back