Recommendations for closed work headphones (replacing stolen A900's)
Aug 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #16 of 25
I'm still thinking about this, I've been reading reviews for a week now and I'm not really much closer to a decision. I think I've ruled out the Mad Dogs, as I really want to drive from my Samsung phone at work, an amp would be a hindrance as it would need to be locked away at night. I'm in New Zealand so the cost of trying and returning headphones is relatively high - around $80 shipping both ways usually.

Requirements: closed, comfortable with glasses, no amp required, balanced sound, not for critical listen just want fun headphones for work. Preferred price around $200, up to $350 if I have to but I'd rather not pay that much.

Currently considering:
 - Sony MDR-R1. Good price, reviews are decent, heavy bass. Not great build quality, but cable/rattle problem, squeaky too.
 - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro: mostly a gimmick around an adjustable port. Very mixed reviews.
 - V-Moda M100 - highly recommended by Jude for portable music, comfort rated not great due to shallow ear cups, lots of bass and recessed mids
 - Sennheiser Momentum - expensive, but rates pretty well. A bit much bass, not super detail. Perhaps the front runner if I decide to spend that much
 - Beyerdynamic 880 - semi open, lacking bass, more monitors than music headphones
 - SoundMagic HP100 - good price, decent sound, cheaply made, coiled cord (awful) that's difficult to replace

Not considering
 - AKG K550 - doesn't suit people with smaller heads like myself, so not considering these
 - Mad Dogs (not great from portable)
 - Senn 280 (had em), akg 271 (had 'em),

For comparison, the Beats by Dr Dre are ok, not good detail or balance, but not awful. I use LCD2 at home. A900 were sonically just about perfect for me.

Every headphone has good and bad reviews, strengths and weaknesses. I've read so many reviews I'm getting confused. Help or guidance would be appreciated.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #19 of 25
Thanks Trunks. The R1 looks like ok sound, but there look to be quality issues with many people saying about squeeks or rattles. Still, people like to complain...

The fidelio l1 looks interesting, but it's semi-open. I really need closed both to block out external noise and to keep my music in, at work. Their closed option doesn't look as good.

I'm about at the point of giving up. Frustrating to try to buy headphones when you can't try them out yourself, and also because no matter how good headphones are someone always says they're rubbish.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #20 of 25
Sounds like you need to eliminate the fidelio and dt880 because of the potential isolation issues.

Check out the psb m4u1: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-300ish-headphone/

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:
Sounds like you need to eliminate the fidelio and dt880 because of the potential isolation issues.

Check out the psb m4u1: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-300ish-headphone/

Wow that seems like a pretty great option, thanks! Build quality is the only thing that doesn't seem top notch.

Interesting to read in the CNet review of them that the Sony M1R isn't too far behind in terms of sound quality, not quite there but $80 less. They also say the Senn Momentum is comparable, at $50 more, but the smaller ear cups might bother me.

Thanks for point out a great option :)

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #22 of 25
In the end, after listening to Sennheiser Momentums, Sony R1, Yahama 220s and pro 500s, AKG 550, Audio-Technica A900X, PSB M4U 1 and 2, and some random other cans... I bought second hand A900s with new ear pads. Happy with that decision too, 1/4 to 1/3 the price of the new ones, and better sound than any of them - to my ears, from portable sources.

If AT fix the A900X head band then it will be a killer headphone, not portable at all, but very capable.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #23 of 25
First, this is fake; second, the real ones suck and finally, the OP is looking for headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back