Recommendations for Closed Portable Headphones <$150
Mar 4, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #31 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$150-200 is not a "very expensive headphone", as headphones go.

The problem is that they're relatively rare- the price apparently fluctuates quite a bit due to that.

I mean for what it accomplishes. For a closed portable, it's pretty much as expensive as you can get. And for $200, I think it'd be hard to imagine its sound justifying that kind of price.. I'd imagine similarly-priced non-portable headphones would sound better and I'd hazard to guess the margin would be fantastic.

I just think it's approaching a little expensive for what it is. It'd be much more practical at that price as some sort of audiophile headphone.

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #32 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean for what it accomplishes. For a closed portable, it's pretty much as expensive as you can get. And for $200, I think it'd be hard to imagine its sound justifying that kind of price.. I'd imagine similarly-priced non-portable headphones would sound better and I'd hazard to guess the margin would be fantastic.

I just think it's approaching a little expensive for what it is. It'd be much more practical at that price as some sort of audiophile headphone.

I think it depends on some factors.

I spent perhaps 1000+ hours last year listening to music on my portable systems. Between commuting, workouts, walking around, etc.

If I could find a great portable IEM & overear headphone combination -- just one unit each -- that will last me the next 2 years with great SQ and no breakdowns, fussing around, etc...jeez. I ask myself how much would that be worth to me? 2000 hours of high SQ music over the next 2 years? At least $500, probably. Thats way less than I waste at Starbucks, etc. over a 2 year period, and I enjoy it way more.

So $200 for the headphones don't seem to be that much to me, just because I'll be using it so many hours. I use my mp3 player more than almost anything else I own. I have the player. All I need are great IEMs and portable headphones that will deliver and not break in 2 years. I'm thinking $200 isn't that much, with that in mind.

Sound is the one thing I'll allow myself to indulge in. One thing I've noticed about myself -- I've regretted buying a lot of things, but I've never regretted buying good quality sound stuff.

At least thats what I'm telling my wallet, who is looking at me very meanly.

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #33 of 84
Quote:

Well, as stereophile said (or alluded to), "a little expensive for what it is" is in the eye of the beholder.

Further, I think the HD25-1 rivals all phones in it's pricerange purely on SQ. As such, I think it *is* an 'audiophile' phone.

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #34 of 84
Depends.

From what I've heard, I think the HD25-1 is more of a $150 and not a $200 headphone. Even quite a few owners concur with that sentiment. I'd have no problem buying them for $150 as you apparently did, but its too-often near-$200 price point seems less than appropriate IMO. It was ultimately that reason that settled myself on the ES7s instead of the HD25-1. The latter came out to be expensive in comparison.

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #35 of 84
3X0,

Okay, you are talking me into it -- I think I'll have to order both the HD-25 and the ES7s and just listen to them both for 2 weeks and send 1 back. Which color do you recommend -- silver or black?

Do you wear them out and about -- do you feel that they're low profile enough to wear walking around, etc? (I currently wear PX100s with no problems, but these are much smaller).

Even the SJ5s look pretty good for $50.

You seem to like Audio Technica a lot --
What do you think about Audio Technica's ATH-CK7 IEM's?
http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...Earphones.html

I've heard some great things about those -- can be had for $75 too.
Maybe I should just do 1 order at Audiocubes of the IEMs and the headphones.

Same time, I'll order the HD-25 and maybe im716 you were mentioning.
Then, I'll just keep the headphone and IEM I like best out of those.

So many choices for IEMs though. D-jays sound good, as do several others. Perhaps I need a collection.

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #37 of 84
I don't know about the CK7's actually.. my only experience is with armature IEMs (I haven't tried any dynamic-driver-canalphones to speak of).

stereophile, please do enlighten us on the differences between the HD25-1 and ES7 when you recieve them. I'm surprised more wasn't said between them earlier (one of the first owners of the ES7 on head-fi had both but failed to elaborate on their respective strengths and weaknesses). One thing I really like about the Audio-Technicas is that the voices sound absolutely fantastic. They sound very real and emotional, easily besting everything I have heard in this aspect.

It's also worth noting that I hated the ES7 the first time I put them on.. I was incredulous that I spent so much money on them. They seem to improve drastically with burn-in, whereupon the bass becomes substantially tighter and the midrange and high end sweeten up a lot and grow softer. They're sufficiently portable and form a surprisingly small bundle when their earcups are rotated down, especially with the included carrying bag. They don't fold but then again I'm fairly certain the Sennheisers don't either.

I bought the black ES7 because I feel the black complements the polished steel aspect well. The silver and white combo looks a bit gaudy to me. Actually, I think most full-size white headphones look gaudy (except maybe the AKG K701).

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #38 of 84
Quote:

From what I've heard, I think the HD25-1 is more of a $150 and not a $200 headphone.

I won't speak for anyone else, but to me that's a meaningless distinction- I think I kinda consider $150-200 the same "pricepoint."

Further, as I said, to me the HD25-1s keep up just fine with everything in that category, including phones that are considered 'good' at $200 (A900s et al).

YMMV.

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #39 of 84
If you do get the Senns HD 25-1s, you're going to want to switch out the cables with OFC senn cables (HD 580, 600, 650). Its perhaps one of the more important "mods" you can do with the HD 25. The steel cable it comes with is ridiculously microphonic and the switch to copper cables changes the sound slightly (for the better) and removes the microphoicism (or whatever :-D). Might not have that choice if you are only borrowing them for a while.

Based on what I read (I was deciding between K81, ES7, HD25, etc. a while back), the ES7's do have an advantage in the voice department, but the HD25 does better everywhere else and are considered by some to be "more balanced." (though they are already slightly bass heavy). Also, supposedly the ES7 cups rotate outwards when on your neck, so your pads/drivers are facing your chin. Supposed to be quite annoying, though again, I don't have a pair to compare with. Tell us what your impressions are when you get them!

And I must say I agree with rodbac on the 150-200 price point. 150 used/200 new is a pretty reasonable price range, considering a pair went on ebay for 140ish yesterday.

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #40 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrizzitT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on what I read (I was deciding between K81, ES7, HD25, etc. a while back), the ES7's do have an advantage in the voice department, but the HD25 does better everywhere else and are considered by some to be "more balanced."

Actually, I read that the Sennheisers only carried a palpable advantage in terms of detail, which might have been caused by the peakier treble. Sound signatures aside, the ES7 supposedly had a more expansive sound stage and better handled highs while still losing detail in comparison. Also, the ES7 is pretty colored with some weird-sounding strings. The HD25-1 is not as colored but has a recessed midrange that can get annoying. As a result it's largely a matter of preference and there isn't really a black and white "better" between them.

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #42 of 84
Bleargh. Soundstage? Closed? HD 25-1?! I'll say this. To my ears, there's pretty much NO soundstage with the HD 25's. The only other high end reference I have access to is DT 770's or 880's (forgot, but the open ones) and those belong to a friend. Compared to those, yeah... I don't think I can even talk about soundstage with the HD 25's. Then again, I believe that is a characteristic of closed headphones? I also have the KSC 75's but lets just not go there eh?
evil_smiley.gif

Haven't really heard the ES7's so can't pass judgement on those, though I would TRULY like to listen to them (gotta love college budgets *cough*). From what I can hear with the HD 25's though, the bass is slightly overemphasized (not too much, but you can "feel" it), and the sound from pianos/string instruments stand out more than usual. Don't quite have the feel for the term "treble" yet, so I don't know where this comment would stand. Sibilence (explained to me by my DT friend), is ALMOST present. Theres the feeling that its getting almost there, but never reaches the annoying "SSSsssss" kinda sound. Very rare though, and as I play a lot of high pitched asian songs with the singers -trying- to sing english... I hear it more often.

And 140 on ebay was used. I bought these retail, and I don't regret buying them as used pairs are hard to find, but if you want to look for cheaper HD 25's, they've run for about 130-150 w/o shipping on Ebay. One pops up every once in a while.

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #43 of 84
Quote:

Inkmo, I hadn't done the math on what exactly 70 pounds worked out to and took him at his word that he could spend around $150.

At that point, the HD25-1s and A-T A900s enter the equation, which easily best the V6s.

However, you're right that if he can't go over exactly $136, he's going to have a lot of trouble finding either of those for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereophile
IMHO, OP should just stretch and add $50 and get the "Undisputed champ of portable headphones."

Apologies, I guess I was a little optimistic with the $->£ exchange rate.

It's not so much that I am financially restricted to £70 ($136), but more that I wouldn't really be comfortable walking around wearing something any more expensive.

Therefore, since the AKG K81 and Senn 25SPs seem like the best options within this price bracket, what would people recommend from them? I'm open to any other sub-£70/$140) (and preferably less than £60/$120) options as well.

Thanks very much
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #44 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a little surprised there isn't more posted about the V6/7506 here... Also, I think if the OP has piercings like he/(she?) implies, the K81s might be unbearably painful...

Hmm, that is a worry, since I've heard others mentioning comfort issues with the K81s.

I have an industrial piercing, and it's usually alright with most headphones, but it does misbehave sometimes, or after long headphone wear. I guess the only way to truly get round this issue would be to get circumaurals (or, of course, forego my jewellery :p)

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #45 of 84
Quote:

Inkmo, I hadn't done the math on what exactly 70 pounds worked out to and took him at his word that he could spend around $150.

At that point, the HD25-1s and A-T A900s enter the equation, which easily best the V6s.

However, you're right that if he can't go over exactly $136, he's going to have a lot of trouble finding either of those for that.

Yeah, you're right both of those are better than the V6 for SQ, but no way is the A900 a portable option (and that's a shame because it's so easily driven).

HD25-1 is on my want list, too, but I don't think I can justify the added coin to get it :scratches chin:. I can justify 80-100 dollars right now for new cans, but not 200
frown.gif
. I guess I'm still lookin' at the V6 for myself at the moment...
How does it (HD25) drive without a dedicated amp? That's gonna be an added price factor consideration if he decides to stretch and get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back