Recommendations for Closed Portable Headphones <$150
Feb 28, 2007 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

0rchid

New Head-Fier
Hello, and thanks for reading my thread!

I'm looking for a pair of closed, sealed headphones primarily for portable use with an mp3 player. Would prefer them to be pretty durable, and with a collapsible/foldable headband to reduce risk of breakage.
As far as sound goes, I am looking for something that puts out decent bass, but without too much cost to the mids & treble, and a sealed design for sound isolation (as well as comfort - chunk of metal through fleshy surfaces makes non-circumaural 'phones less comfortable!)
I don't really want to spend more than £70 (which works out at near enough to $150), and would obviously prefer less.

I have had a pretty good look around, and seems difficult to find anything matching these specifications with a highly recommendable sound quality.

The best match that i've found are the Senn HD280 Pros (right price, collapsible, decent sound quality), but my problems with those would be the common complaints regarding bass and less common (but significant) instances of headband cracking.

Thanks for reading all that, and double-plus thanks to anyone who can meet these exacting requirements
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 84
I dont think HD280's are portable. They are full sized, but if you dont mind wearing those outside, then I guess they are a good buy. I would stick to either the AKG K81 DJ or Philips HP460.

Since you have mentioned bass a couple of times, K81's would be best bet IMO

Feb 28, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 84
I think your best bet is the Senn HD25-1s if you can find a pair.

Small-ish, good isolation, durable, small cord, and great sound (bassy and neutral). They blow the "under $100" crowd (V6s, K81DJs, 280Ps, et al) out of the water.

I got mine for $150 shipped off fleabay- you don't want the SPs, though, and that's what most of the offerings on ebay are much of the time (so look carefully).

Feb 28, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 84
Thanks for your quick reply
icon10.gif

I recall having looked at the K81s before. They do indeed look rather good.

My only issues would be that they're supra-aural (less comfortable), and don't look like they have a replaceable cable (this is less important, but I have noticed that the 280s do, which is rather lovely, as this has been the breakage point for every pair of headphones i've ever owned!)

Feb 28, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Small-ish, good isolation, durable, small cord, and great sound (bassy and neutral). They blow the "under $100" crowd (V6s, K81DJs, 280Ps, et al) out of the water.

I got mine for $150 shipped off fleabay- you don't want the SPs, though, and that's what most of the offerings on ebay are much of the time (so look carefully).

I can only find a full review of the SPs for now, but I imagine they're similar design-wise? Anyway, those look really great! The detachable cable is a real plus (if that's in the non-SPs as well), and the durability is very important. It doesn't look like they're collapsible, but heavy durability may well make up for this, since this is the main reason i prefer collapsibles.

Feb 28, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by 0rchid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can only find a full review of the SPs for now, but I imagine they're similar design-wise? Anyway, those look really great! The detachable cable is a real plus (if that's in the non-SPs as well), and the durability is very important. It doesn't look like they're collapsible, but heavy durability may well make up for this, since this is the main reason i prefer collapsibles.

Almost the same design as the SPs but the headband splits in the middle on the non-SPs.

The non-SPs are much better sounding, from reports (I haven't heard the SPs).

Mar 1, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think HD280's are portable. They are full sized, but if you dont mind wearing those outside, then I guess they are a good buy. I would stick to either the AKG K81 DJ or Philips HP460. ...

I do not think HD280s are not portable. I have borrowed them from a friend for a week and I used them as portable.

Anyway, HD25-1 are very good choice, and if I may suggest do not lay HD25SP on your mind. Their sound cannot be compared to nonSP. More over as single cord fan I vote for 25-1s.

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2

Mar 1, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 84
I do *really* like the look of the 25-1s, and they get universally great reviews.

However, they do seem to cost around £130, which at around double what I would like to spend, would make me a bit uncomfortable walking the streets in them late at night.

Any other options of similar durability/part replaceability at a slightly lower price point?

Mar 1, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryminator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K81DJ or Audio-Technica ES7

Don't look elsewhere
smily_headphones1.gif

These are the two that I am looking at. I think that I'm going to get both.
lambda.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 84
There's not much choice for portable headphones, pricewise anyway. All circumaural headphones look silly "on the street", period. They're fine for long distance public transport (planes/trains) but way too big for general portable usage.

Which leaves supra-aural headphones. The current rank goes a little like this:

K81DJ>SJ5>HD25SP>ES7>HD25

Most other supra-aural headphones are rubbish, at least in comparison to these five. You'll just have to decide which of the five is right for you. The ES7 is actually a pretty good buy at £70+shipping, looks better than the HD25 and is in the same league soundwise. But if you want ultimate durability and the best supra-aural sound money can buy, its the HD25 all the way.

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #14 of 84
The Sennheiser HD25-1 and Audio-Technica ES7 seem to have traded blows from what I read earlier. The Audio-Technica seems to do better at vocals but fares worse in classical music. I can attest to both the beauty of the vocals and the slight but veritable weakness in rendering classical compositions. I'm sure they're durable but I fear testing such an assumption as I'd dread them getting scratched.

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #15 of 84
HD25-1 + a rewire to Senn OFC cables = probably the best, closed portable sound you're going to get.

And these are phones you can just toss around too. Not flashy like the ES7's so you wont "flash" at night.
evil_smiley.gif
Not sure on this as I was deciding btwn 25-1 and ES7's (got the 25's obviously), but supposedly the ES7's dont sit on the neck too well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back