Recommendations for Books on Sound Science
Dec 18, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #16 of 23

Ethan Winer's books is 650 pages long and is one of the few that covers a little bit of everything -- acoustics, electronics, analog, digital, recording, production, etc.

Thanks*2!

Time to dig out my high school math and physics notes again... ;~;

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #17 of 23
On a user friendly level:
"Master Handbook of Acoustics"
F. Alton Everest

17 pages of references:
"Sound Reproduction"
Floyd E. Toole

Countless links, references and blog pages:
Siegfried Linkwitz
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

Dec 28, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #18 of 23
Are there any books you guys recommend for a total beginner? No knowledge of math or physics at the moment. Only layman's understanding of how sound works. ;-;

Just wanted to know where to start so I won't buy books that confuse me and make me give up. ^_^
Hey don't know if you already saw this book, nevertheless you can find it below

The Complete Guide To High-End Audio - Robert Harley

He explains to you everything, from how to interpret sound even to suggestions on getting started!

Dec 28, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #19 of 23
Are there any books you guys recommend for a total beginner? No knowledge of math or physics at the moment. Only layman's understanding of how sound works. ;-;

Just wanted to know where to start so I won't buy books that confuse me and make me give up. ^_^

Hey don't know if you already saw this book, nevertheless you can find it below

He explains to you everything, from how to interpret sound even to suggestions on getting started!

I don't know the book but a quick search for info about Robert Harley suggests he is not the best source of information, I guess the book can be expected to be filled with audiopholery.

A few example posts discussing him:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-flaws-in-blind-testing.520756/page-2#post-7031406
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-flaws-in-blind-testing.520756/page-2#post-7031614

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #20 of 23
As @sander99 stated, this is a particularly poor recommendation. The OP asked for recommendations for books on sound science, not for books on pseudoscience, audiophile marketing/myths and ignorance, which is effectively the opposite to sound science.

To be fair, I haven’t read the book but I have read excepts and various other articles he’s authored, which is largely just nonsense he’s made up (or repeated from marketing) and contrary to the actual facts/science. And, even when a particular fact is correct, his explanation of it and/or what he extrapolates from it is often incorrect. There maybe some useful information in the book but you’d need a fair understanding of sound science to separate it from all the nonsense/falsehoods, which is why it’s a particularly poor recommendation for someone seeking a starting/introductory book.

G

Dec 29, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #21 of 23
As @sander99 stated, this is a particularly poor recommendation. The OP asked for recommendations for books on sound science, not for books on pseudoscience, audiophile marketing/myths and ignorance, which is effectively the opposite to sound science.

To be fair, I haven’t read the book but I have read excepts and various other articles he’s authored, which is largely just nonsense he’s made up (or repeated from marketing) and contrary to the actual facts/science. And, even when a particular fact is correct, his explanation of it and/or what he extrapolates from it is often incorrect. There maybe some useful information in the book but you’d need a fair understanding of sound science to separate it from all the nonsense/falsehoods, which is why it’s a particularly poor recommendation for someone seeking a starting/introductory book.

G
Probably, there might be a lot a miss information here in the book.
Nevertheless I'm finding it enjoyable, from a newbie perspective.
Nice feedback!

Dec 29, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #22 of 23
Thanks for the feedback.
Nevertheless, I'm finding it quite enjoyable from a newbie perspective.

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #23 of 23
Thanks for the feedback.
Nevertheless, I'm finding it quite enjoyable from a newbie perspective.
As long as you’re enjoying it, have fun. Just be careful about believing any of it though, treat it like a work of fiction!

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back