Recommendations for balanced portable headphones driven by iphone no amp!
Aug 30, 2012 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

henrygb

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

I am new to this whole "head-fi" world but have been obsessively reading the forums here for the past couple weeks. I am looking to spend around $200 (maybe $300) for a great pair of portable (or semi portable) headphones that I can drive through my iphone 4. The catch is I really don't want to invest in an amp at this time. So I'm looking for headphones that can be powered adequately (able to reach near their full potential-volume, separation, clear highs, mids, lows)) through just the phone. Maybe this is impossible. I don't know. I listen to a lot of acoustic music (folk, bluegrass, classical, jazz), but also indie rock and punk.  

As a novice, I don't know how to describe the sound I am looking for other than "full, open, airy and well balanced". As for the portability, I should say I don't mind having a somewhat bulky headphone if the sound merits the bulk and they are still comfortable and able to move with me. They do not need to be closed. I am open to either option.

Thanks in advance for your input and I apologize if I am recreating an existing similiar thread, but as I said I have been reading for weeks and haven't quite found what I'm looking for exactly! Please help!

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 2
shure 440....balanced sound, slightly bulky.
HM5 ....balanced, alittle spacey, v comfy, bulkier.
KNS KRK8400....less bulky than above two, thinner sounding than above, but well liked by alot of folks here.
akg271mkii....u must like that shape...v light on the head....bigsounding..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back