Recommendations for ATH-M50 replacement / step up
Nov 9, 2014 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

seeker moc

New Head-Fier
Based on recommendations from this forum, I bought a pair of ATH-M50s 3 years back. I really loved them (more so than my previous Sennheiser HD280 PROs), but years of travel and frequent use has worn them to the point of replacement.

I was wondering if I should get a new pair of the M50s, or if there are better options that are now available.

My criteria are:

Prefer under $250 street price. I'd go slightly higher, but only for a significant improvement.
Over-ear, closed back.
Good isolation
Comfortable enough for multi-hour use
Foldable/collapseable
Doesn't require a headphone amp.

My usage scenario:

Use in close proximity to people I don't want to disturb.
Frequent travel.
Usually powered by my laptop or computer.
Also used with my Cowon J3 DAP and my Onkyo TX-NR-7XX series HT receiver, but not very often.
I have a Fiio E7 USB DAC/AMP, but it's often not practical to use it.
60% video games (single player only, no need for a mic), 40% music
Music is 80% classical, 20% hard rock

I'm looking forward to any recommendations. Thank you all in advance.

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 14
eBay has some good deals on used ATH-M50Xs

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 14
You might want to look into the M50X which is an obvious choice, but also the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 32 Ohm.

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 14
It's the same driver, but you get detachable cables and improved earpads, seems like a logical choice to just get those.

They don't measure or sound the same, but we don't know why.

I don't recommend either for classical. If you need something foldable, SRH840. Another option is ProDJ100 / TBSE with M50 pads. XPT100, which doesn't fold, is much better. Best luck!

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 14
They don't measure or sound the same, but we don't know why.

Never said they did, I have both :wink:

Although I do agree that M50 isn't the best for classical, but certainly not the worst and OP had been happy with them. M50x improves comfort by quite a bit IMO and durability due to the cables being removable. AKG550 is great for your music but is big and does not fold at all :frowning2: you can save up and get a Focal Spirit Pro, that's a substantial improvement on the M50 and well worth it

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 14
Never said they did, I have both
wink.gif

AKG550 is great for your music but is big and does not fold at all
frown.gif

The cups on the K550 turn 90 degrees, so at least the headphone can lay flat.

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #9 of 14
Thank you all for your replies. I'll take a look into your recommendations, and am sure I'll have follow-up questions.

Out of curiosity, why would you not recommend the M50s for classical?

The only real complaint I have with the M50s is that they're a little uncomfortable after a few hours because they clamp a little too hard on the back of my ears. Though this may be accentuated a bit due to the after market replacement ear cushions I have on them, which seem a little harder than the worn out originals.

I took a look at the Beyer DT770s, and they seem good, but the inability to fold at all may be a deal breaker for me. It's hard to judge how big they are just by the pictures, but I need something that I can frequently stuff into a cramped backpack with out breaking them.

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #10 of 14
Out of curiosity, why would you not recommend the M50s for classical?

I took a look at the Beyer DT770s, and they seem good, but the inability to fold at all may be a deal breaker for me.

The treble on the old one is thin and metallic. If you listen to some Bach organ music, the notes sound like pins. The new one is better only insofar as the annoying treble just isn't there, but the timbre is still off. Either version of M50 is a better choice than DT770, which is considerably less neutral.

I've given up on portable closed phones in favor of IEMs. That's what I'd really recommend.

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks. I've tried a couple IEMs before, but I have really small ear openings, and I've never found a pair that fits. They either get squeezed out and fall out of my ears, or are incredibly uncomfortable.

I'm really not a fan of Baroque-era classical, as I hate the tinny sound of the harpischord, but I always thought it was just the instrument itself I don't like, didn't consider that it could be the headphones. Either way, I prefer Romantic or modern era classical.

I think I may try getting the SRH 840 and compare them with my M50s. I assume Amazon will allow me to return them if I don't like them. The 940s are also only a little outside of my budget, and I may consider them if they go on sale over the holiday season, as I'm not really in a rush. Is there a significant difference between the 840 and 940?

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #12 of 14
As a long time M50 owner, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the M50x especially as you've enjoyed the M50s.

Higher that your desired price... but a step up in comfort and overall sound would be the NAD VISO HP50.
The visual design is unfortunate (that headband!), but sound is good.  

Edit: I still have the M50s and use them regularly, mostly at work.  
Will have to get new earpads at some point... that's their weakness.  
But for long listening sessions at home -- when I need closed headphones -- I go for the HP50.

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #14 of 14
I think I may try getting the SRH 840 and compare them with my M50s. I assume Amazon will allow me to return them if I don't like them. The 940s are also only a little outside of my budget, and I may consider them if they go on sale over the holiday season, as I'm not really in a rush. Is there a significant difference between the 840 and 940?

940 is a details monster but it's also noticeably brighter: I couldn't stand the hot highs. Build quality is below average, whereas 840's build is above average.

Incidentally, I don't think M50 is bad for a fairly inexpensive closed headphone. Nor is the 840 amazing in comparison, though I prefer it. Also, I suspect it has better modding potential.

What about ProDJ100 with M50 pads? Another you might look into is UE6000, but it's been ages since I heard it. Not trying to make your choice harder; just trying to give you more choices. So feel free to ignore and do what's best for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back