Recommendations for an audiophile quality earphone
Nov 18, 2002 at 11:15 AM Post #16 of 35
Guyferd,
Quote:

Well... like a guy in this forum once said:
"those who say sony sucks simply has hidden agenda, biased opinion, or they have something against sony" or something like that.
In fact not ALL sony are junk
the mdr-r10 is regarded here as the best dynamic phone, sony cd3000 is in the same league as hd600, mdr-f1 is the most comfy phone, cd1700...
there are still somemore
Yes, including V6. They don't suck
also the e888 earphone and the ex-70 is quite good.

How can u forget Sony MDR-E484 earphones? He hee... The best earbuds ever made by Sony!

Nov 18, 2002 at 12:27 PM Post #17 of 35
I don't thinh the Stax Sr001 woulld be a good fit with this situation. They do not block out much outside noice and you tend to lose a little of their lucious midrange in a noisy environment.

Go with the Ety's, you'll never go back.

Nov 18, 2002 at 12:50 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Guyferd,

How can u forget Sony MDR-E484 earphones? He hee... The best earbuds ever made by Sony!

Lol! yeah.. sorry. I haven't heard the e484 . How good are they compared to the senn mx500? how much do they cost? hm.. if they are good I may get them soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the info purk!

Nov 18, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #19 of 35
Guyferd,

Sony MDR-E484 has very luxurious midrange and suits very well with vocal musics. The bass goes deeper, and the high is more extend. The soundstage is also wider than the E888. I don't think that E888 is a match for a E888, so let alone the MX-500. I have the MX-500, and the ETY-4s so I know where E484 ranks among them, behind the Ety-4s, and in front of E888.

Purk

Nov 18, 2002 at 6:06 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Apparently, Etymotic will be my only choice. Does anyone have an experience with ER-6? I'm a little bit tight on the budget. However, if necessary I'm willing to spend the extra money on ER-4S. How's the sound quality on ER-6 compare with ER-4S though?

You won't regret going with the ER4P, as it can be easily changed into the ER4S with a simple adapter cord later when you get an amp. I've never heard the ER6, but it seems like many people are disappointed with it, especially in the bass department. If you get the ER6, you will probably want to upgrade, but if you get the ER4P, you might not feel the need to upgrade at all (though that isn't too likely around here
biggrin.gif
) I went with the ER4P and I don't regret it in the slightest.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #21 of 35
The Ixos is audiophile grade and only $140 from bestbuy.com. It's closed, but I'm not sure if there'd be enough isolation. It's only as portable as the V6, too. The ER4P/S is the ultimate in isolation headphones.

Nov 19, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #22 of 35
i guess my question is, how uncompromising are u with this "audiophile quality" thing? if u truly want the paragon of portable sound, then i think most ppl will agree that the etys are ur only choice. however, if ur wallet is really crying out bloody murder, u mite consider some of the sonies (plural for sony?
tongue.gif
) that guyferd & co. have mentioned...

... bah, just go with the etys. hehe.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: i guess my point is, the words "audiophile quality" are often used just as buzz words and are tossed around so much that they don't mean much anymore in the general community. lol, even the SB Audigy claims to offer audiophile quality fidelity for a sound card, and i'm sure there're plenty more worse examples...

also, i think the thing about the etys for me is that they offer not only great sound quality, but more than that they offer peace of mind. their ability to tune out all ambient noise and leave u in ur own little world with only music to caress ur heart and soul while the rest of the busy world is bustling around u makes them invaluable when listening to music outdoors... well, to me at least.
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

also, i think the thing about the etys for me is that they offer not only great sound quality, but more than that they offer peace of mind. their ability to tune out all ambient noise and leave u in ur own little world with only music to caress ur heart and soul while the rest of the busy world is bustling around u makes them invaluable when listening to music outdoors... well, to me at least.

If only comfort factor is better, I'll keep the Ety. I hope Etymotic Research comes out with a new design for the ETY-4s to improve the ergonomics....so...the Ety will be the best perfect earphones/headphones in any occasion. Sadly my ears didn't like the Ety back then (comfort issues).

Purk

Nov 19, 2002 at 8:09 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

If only comfort factor is better, I'll keep the Ety. I hope Etymotic Research comes out with a new design for the ETY-4s to improve the ergonomics....so...the Ety will be the best perfect earphones/headphones in any occasion. Sadly my ears didn't like the Ety back then (comfort issues).

Is ETY-4S really uncomfortable when you put them on? You kinda scared me a bit. $269 USD is pretty damn expensive for a pair of earphone. I'd better do more research on this baby before I take it.

Nov 19, 2002 at 8:14 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

You won't regret going with the ER4P, as it can be easily changed into the ER4S with a simple adapter cord later when you get an amp. I've never heard the ER6, but it seems like many people are disappointed with it, especially in the bass department. If you get the ER6, you will probably want to upgrade, but if you get the ER4P, you might not feel the need to upgrade at all (though that isn't too likely around here ) I went with the ER4P and I don't regret it in the slightest.

After I read the reviews on headroom.com, I think I'm kinda leaning towards ER4S. I definitely will buy an amp in the near future, so I guess ER4S will suit me better.

Just feel sorry for my wallet
frown.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

think of all the money you've saved by not buying a porta pro, then upgrading to a senn hd497, then upgrading to a grado sr60 or sr80, then upgrading to the sony v6, then upgrading to the senn hd280pro, then upgrading to a beyer dt250-80, then upgrading to the ety 4's...

Hey wallijonn, thanks so much for the links. It's very helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #27 of 35
Nevermorez,

I just wanted to reiterate that you should get the Ety ER-4P and not the 4S.
They have the same drivers, but the difference is in the impedance - the 4S have higher impedance.
Therefore, the ER-4P can be converted to the ER-4S with a $20 or $30 adapter.
However, the ER-4S CANNOT be converted to the 4P.

Yes, the 4S provides a smoother sound and absolutely needs an amp, but the 4P provides the ability to use the phones straight out of a portable - plus you might even like the sound better.

Buying the 4P allows greater flexibility - it's like having BOTH the 4P and the 4S for just $20 extra.

There are many posts on the Etys for more info.
You may also want to check out:
http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm

and for an extremely portable decent amp:
http://www.fixup.net/tips/pktamp/index.htm

Enjoy!

Nov 19, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

I just wanted to reiterate that you should get the Ety ER-4P and not the 4S.

Man....I didn't expect that I'll have hard time making a decision between ETY ER-4S and ER-4P.

Thanks very much for you help thsu02. Guess ER-4P isn't that bad after all. However, before I jump into the conclusion, I must find out their comfort level. But right now I think we might have a winner here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Could anyone share some thoughts and experience about those earphones with me, especially their comfort level?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Nov 19, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

You won't regret going with the ER4P, as it can be easily changed into the ER4S with a simple adapter cord later when you get an amp. I've never heard the ER6, but it seems like many people are disappointed with it, especially in the bass department. If you get the ER6, you will probably want to upgrade, but if you get the ER4P, you might not feel the need to upgrade at all (though that isn't too likely around here ) I went with the ER4P and I don't regret it in the slightest.

Hey radrd, how do you feel about your ER-4P when you put them on? Do they hurt when you wear it for a long period of time?

When looking at it, I don't really see it'll be comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back