Recommendations for amp (using iPhone/laptop with MTPC)?
Jan 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SeaFoodBoy

New Head-Fier
Hello, new to this forum and I'm looking for some inputs for getting an portable amp.

I am listening from my iPhone and laptop and I'm look for something that can squeeze more out of the MTPC. Looking for an amp that can be compatible with both my iPhone and laptop. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 11
A 3G or 4G iPhone already has a good headphone out so you probably won't gain much, if anything, by using an amp between it and an efficient and not to hard to drive IEM like the turbines.

Laptop soundcards and headphone outs are pretty hit or miss.  If you're iPhone sound noticeably better than your laptop you might benefit from a small USB DAC amp combo.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 11
I don't have any hard data on the E17 but using its DAC with your laptop has the biggest potential for better sound.  I'm not sure if the E17 would be better than the E7 for your IEMs but either one should be more useful to you than the E11 which is just an amp.

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
A 3G or 4G iPhone already has a good headphone out so you probably won't gain much, if anything, by using an amp between it and an efficient and not to hard to drive IEM like the turbines.

Laptop soundcards and headphone outs are pretty hit or miss.  If you're iPhone sound noticeably better than your laptop you might benefit from a small USB DAC amp combo.

you know ther is no such thing as iphone 4G right ?? :D

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 11
Close enough, or are we not supposes to use the "G" notation with the iPhones like everyone does here with the iPods because it overlaps with the radio protocols?

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 11
The E11 would be good. but like others say. since ur new and don't have any good stuff. the E17 with the DAC inside would be a great boost. It can plug into Desktop and Laptop's USB, coaxil and optical out and also AUX :) using a wolfso WM8740. So far reviews have been extremely positive.

The iPhone "technically" has 4G. This is the problem these days. Nobody knows what is what. America's Next Gen wireless discolure act should help fix this. there are relatively little restirctions on what companies can label and call their things and this hurts consumers. One companies def of 4G is usually a bit differnt from the next's. HSPA+ is considered a 4G tecnology and both T-Mobile and AT&T call it as 4G. AT&T was actually rmoured to be trying to pressre Apple into changing the 3G sign into 4G, because AT&T uses HSPA+. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Thanks everyone, i'll probably be getting a E17 soon and maybe the E9 dock later on.

I do a lot of threads a day so i don't know past discussion

Do you have hard to drive headphones or something? The E9's amp is powerful but is reviewed to not sound nearly as good as the E17's. If after u get the e17 and the power from it is enough(you can adjust the gain if your headphones are hard to drive) then u don't need the E9. If the power is just enough and you could wait. FiiO is makign the E9's succesor after the E17. The E17's true docking buddy isn't the E9 :)

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 11
Yeah, the MTPC won't need or benefit from the extra power of the E9 over the E17.  Don't bother with the E9 unless you get something a lot less efficient than the Coppers.

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Yeah, the MTPC won't need or benefit from the extra power of the E9 over the E17.  Don't bother with the E9 unless you get something a lot less efficient than the Coppers.

if that's the case then just E17 then :) The E17 is close to the levels of the E11 so it has plenty of power. add in the Gain options and you should not have any problems whatsoever :)
if your laptop has optical or coaxil out. rejoice. you can use the E17 as 24/192 if not. going over USB is still fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back