Recommendations for Amp and Sound Card for AKG K701
Dec 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SJH897

New Head-Fier
I have just recently bough a set of these headphones. Right now I am building a computer and can afford a soundcard at around 100$. The sound card needs to be able to create me some virtual surround sound as I am going to use it for gaming as well as movies. Furthermore I think i need an Amplifier. The budget for that is 100$ as well. It can be as big as it needs as space is no problem. Of course it is okay if I use 30$ for sound card and 170$ for the AMP.
That doesn't matter, I just can't exceed 200$ when i'm done.

Regards.

(Sorry for bad english. I am from Denmark) 

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 6
Hello and welcome!

The only way that comes to mind, if you want special sound effects for games/movies is getting a titanium Hd soundcard and a dedicated headphone amp. But that will increase the price you have to pay. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 6
  I have just recently bough a set of these headphones. Right now I am building a computer and can afford a sound card at around 100$. The sound card needs to be able to create me some virtual surround sound as I am going to use it for gaming as well as movies. Furthermore I think i need an Amplifier. The budget for that is 100$ as well. It can be as big as it needs as space is no problem. Of course it is okay if I use 30$ for sound card and 170$ for the AMP.
That doesn't matter, I just can't exceed 200$ when i'm done.

(Sorry for bad English. I am from Denmark) 

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500)sound card, has a decent headphone amplifier.

You live in Denmark.
So, do you spend a lot of time playing with Legos while listening to Aqua?

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 6

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500)sound card, has a decent headphone amplifier.

True, but the Dac section/sound processing is not as good as the TiHD in my opinion. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 6

True, but the Dac section/sound processing is not as good as the TiHD in my opinion. 

The Ti-HD with an external headphone amplifier, would provide a better DAC and headphone amplifier, then the Sound Blaster Z.
But the SB-Z would be a lot cheaper then the Ti-HD with head amp.
I've read that some (but only some) reviewers that prefer the Z's SBX over the Ti's CMSS-3D.
I would assume Creative would put more future resources for driver support for the Z series, over the Titanium series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back