Recommendations for all-around phones
Oct 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

poikkeus

100+ Head-Fier
I have tried all sorts of stereophile phones, but I need more modest recommendations for other purposes. I'm going to purchase three or so headphones, conforming to these requirements:

1. Closed headphones
2. Detailed sound that works well with rock
3. Fairly modest, pricewise - around $100 each headphone
4. These will get a beating, so build quality is a plus
5. The headphones should have pads that fit around or comfortably on the ears

From what I can tell, the MDR-V6 is a contender, followed by the ATH-M50 (which has some good prices in places) and the ATH-ES7. What other phones can you recommend, especially given restraints on price? 

Thanks!

Oct 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 5
As much as I love the M50, I would avoid them for rock unless it is well recorded, but most isn't. Make me fall asleep listening to Metallica. The mids are not forward enough for rock.

Oct 2, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
As much as I love the M50, I would avoid them for rock unless it is well recorded, but most isn't. Make me fall asleep listening to Metallica. The mids are not forward enough for rock.

They didn't sound to bad with Dream theater's Octavarian when I tried them, but I will admit that is a really well recorded album.

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I have tried all sorts of stereophile phones, but I need more modest recommendations for other purposes. I'm going to purchase three or so headphones, conforming to these requirements:

1. Closed headphones
2. Detailed sound that works well with rock
3. Fairly modest, pricewise - around $100 each headphone
4. These will get a beating, so build quality is a plus
5. The headphones should have pads that fit around or comfortably on the ears

Consider also the Ath-a700's. 
They meet your requirements....they are at $110 at amazon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back