Recommendations for a (tube) amp ~$500?
Dec 1, 2005 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

strid3r

500+ Head-Fier
I've been searching for an upgrade lately from my pimeta and was set on the MAD Ear+ Purist HD, but I want to get a few opinions about this amp or other amps before I lay down the money. I've also tried the PPAv2 and M3 in the price range and prefer the Ear+, PPA and M3 (in that order). I've read a lot of people like the Woo Audio 3 amp as well, which is right at $500, but havn't seen a direct comparison to the Ear+. If anyone could me some information, recommendations, impressions, anything, it'd be greatly appreciated.

And other information: I'll be using this with the rig in my sig. I tend to listen to rock (classic, alternative, soft), classical, electronica, r&b, rap/hip hop, and some jpop.

Dec 1, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 9
Dec 1, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 9
I have A MAD Ear plus HD, which has been further modified by a previous owner. It sounds fantastic with Grado's and SennHD25's, but I don't like it with my Senn580's. A bit dirty and dynamics are so so. I've compared it with a govibe and the solid state amp in my mackie mixer and both are noticably better to my ears. I also heard it with a ASL Twin Head MK1, which has a big hum problem, but otherwise blows the MAD away with the 580's. Big difference in dynamics and bass control. Grados still sound better on the MAD, so I'm keeping it but would like something else for the Senns. Probably solid state.

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 9
I was going to say the same thing.. "EarMax Pro" I quite enjoy mine and good to tuberoll with..

Dec 1, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 9
And even more choices now. It's never quite that clear cut is it?
biggrin.gif

The HR Millet is a bit out of my price range, but n_maher's recent review did spark my interest in it a bit. I'll take a look at some of the recommendations here.

midlife, that's interesting that you didn't like it with the HD580. I thought it sounded pretty good with my HD600s. I did a direct comparison to the PPA, and although the bass was a bit tighter and punchier, it sounded dry and cold in comparison to the Ear+.

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 9
Remember if HR's millet does not impress, 30 day money back no questions gurantee comes in handy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back