Recommendations for a SMALL Desktop CD Player?
Dec 23, 2007 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cyanbomb

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a bit of desk space in the office, and am thinking of setting up a small piece of Head-fi Nirvana in the corner. I'm probably going to get Headroom Corp's Micro DAC and Amplifier, but I need a good CD player that has a small footprint.

The only one that comes to mind right now is Musical Fidelity's X-Ray CDP; are there any others I should seriously be considering?

Dec 23, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 9
The first one that sprung to my mind was the Cyrus CD 8 SE, I've had a quick search of the forum and there appear to be a few threads on this player.

Dec 23, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about this Shanling CDP:
Shanling - PCD3000A - Personal CD Player-Audio Advisor

Thanks for the recommendations Knight and Wilcox; I should have thought of the Cyrus!

Can anyone attest to the sound quality of Shanling CD players?
I happen to live in Asia, and am still rather... um.. skeptical of Chinese Hi-fi (speaking out of ignorance as I've never really auditioned them properly).

Dec 23, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent small player - just got one (from elusivedisc.com) and am very pleased with it. It has a coaxial digital output, so you can use your DAC with it. The transport is good too.

Ah, thanks for that.
A lot cheaper than the Cyrus too. Looks like I might just go with it if no better recommendations come along soon!

Dec 23, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 9
I too scored a Shanling which I expect to arrive tomorrow. It was purchased first for reported sound quality and secondly, for the same reasons as you, space.

As soon as I get it fired-up, I'll report with my initial findings, although it will take awhile for it to burn-in for the full impression.

Dec 24, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFlaChris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too scored a Shanling which I expect to arrive tomorrow. It was purchased first for reported sound quality and secondly, for the same reasons as you, space.

As soon as I get it fired-up, I'll report with my initial findings, although it will take awhile for it to burn-in for the full impression.

Good stuff.. I'll wait until you post your initial findings!
The cash is in hand... all I need is a reason. Heh heh. :p

Dec 24, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 9
There's also the Musical Fidelity X-Ray series. Current version is v8 and requires an outboard power supply. v1 and v3 do not and make nice small space CD players. I've had the v3 for a few months and have been very happy with it.

EDIT: Sorry, I overlooked you already mentioned these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back