Recommendations for a good used CD player, $2-$3K budget
Dec 8, 2009 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

minimus

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade my Eastsound E-5 CD player. I like it well enough but am wondering based on my experience with the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC & Transport if I shouldn't also upgrade the source in my headphone rig. I am looking primarily for a used, one-box player. I don't really care about SACD as I mostly listen to alternative/indie music. I also don't need digital inputs. I want to shy away from sources that have the potential to become fatiguing. I would buy another Perfect Wave DAC & Transport, but don't want to spend the $4K+ that they seem to sell for used.

The list of players I am considering are the Resolution Audio Opus 21 (either stock or modded by Great Northern Sound), a Cary 306 or 303, and an Ayon CD-1. Does anyone have any impressions of these players? Are there other players that I should be considering? Any helpful advice would be appreciated (even if it is to just stick with the Eastsound.)

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 34
There are many things to consider, especially with higher bit-rate players out there, that is to say, DVD & Blu-Ray. I have had really good luck with DVD players which will no longer play a DVD, but will still play a CD. My shop system uses a "dead" Samsung unit, and I was very surprised with its CD audio, plus it has coax and optical digital outs. My main system uses a CD transport plus a DAC, but I don't know if it's any better than the DVDP. We are not stuck in the 1980's and 1990's, and we can now think outside the CD player box.

Your options:

standalone CD player
CD player + DAC
CD transport +DAC
DVDP
DVDP + DAC
Blu-Ray [don't know much about the format]
...and don't forget your computer's hard drive

My advice, put the budget on the back burner, and make sure those expen$ive players really do sound better than the cheaper options. You may surprise yourself.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 34
I have been using my PC as a source feeding via an optical cable an external DAC (Monarchy Audio NM24) and I have been very satisfied. Another option could be an Exemplar moded Denon 2900, very detailed and smooth player.

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been using my PC as a source feeding via an optical cable an external DAC (Monarchy Audio NM24) and I have been very satisfied. Another option could be an Exemplar moded Denon 2900, very detailed and smooth player.

Thanks for the recommendations. Do you like the sound quality of the PC-fed Monarchy better than that of a dedicated CD player like the Exemplar-modded Denon, or do you just prefer the added flexibility of a PC-based source?

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and don't forget your computer's hard drive

My advice, put the budget on the back burner, and make sure those expen$ive players really do sound better than the cheaper options. You may surprise yourself.

The main reason I am thinking of upgrading the Eastsound is that I have been very impressed by the sound quality of the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC + Transport in my speaker rig. I bought those units because the DAC can be used for home theater purposes, because it has multiple digital inputs (in my case, for an Oppo 980H DVD player, Wadia iTransport, and cable box.) What has been striking to me is that the sound quality offered by the Perfect Wave Transport is far better than any of the other digital sources I have plugged into the Perfect Wave DAC, which leads me to question whether a PC-based source or inexpensive DVD player can really match that of a good dedicated CD player.

But your post reminds me that I really need to pull out the Perfect Wave DAC and Transport from my stereo rig and compare them side-by-side to the Eastsound in my headphone rig over a few days. The main reason I haven't done this is that the stereo rig is a mind-numbing rats nest of ICs and power cords and the DAC + Transport cost $6,000 new, and I really don't want to spend that kind of money. But if the sound quality is really a lot better, I might be able to buy them used at some point.

Dec 15, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 34
I've been through at least a dozen different CDPs in the 1500.00-9000.00 range over the 3-4 years. I'm using a modified Esound from Reference Audio Mods right now that is better than everything but the Audio Aero Capitole MKII, and the Audio Aero Prima SE DAC. It equals these but is different. I got the super package mods. I listened to almost all vinyl until this player was added to my system. Might be worth your while to just upgrade your current player.

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 34
Other great players used in the range:

Accuphase DP-75V (as good as you will find at $4K or less)
Accuphase DP-57
Accuphase DP-400

Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP (fabulous but doesn't have any digital inputs)

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by faberryman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider the Meridian G-08. You can get one for under $2K on Audiogon.

I second that! I don't think the Meridian does anything wrong and many things right! They also hold there value, and sell right away on audiogon!

For the $1600.00 range the 588 24/508 24 $Less
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been through at least a dozen different CDPs in the 1500.00-9000.00 range over the 3-4 years. I'm using a modified Esound from Reference Audio Mods right now that is better than everything but the Audio Aero Capitole MKII, and the Audio Aero Prima SE DAC. It equals these but is different. I got the super package mods. I listened to almost all vinyl until this player was added to my system. Might be worth your while to just upgrade your current player.

I second this recommendation. You can pick up an AA Capitole m2 for ~ $2500 if you keep an eye on audiogon and ebay. You won't be sorry !!!

and you won't need to give any money to those hungry wolves out there
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can second this. I also had my CD-E5 modified by Kyle at RAM, and couldn't be more pleased with the results. It's worth considering, tho many say you can't easily recoup your investment from such an upgrade if you want to sell later. I'm not planning to...

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by LAMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can second this. I also had my CD-E5 modified by Kyle at RAM, and couldn't be more pleased with the results. It's worth considering, tho many say you can't easily recoup your investment from such an upgrade if you want to sell later. I'm not planning to...

Mine has the super mods package. I think it was $3k and that includes the new Esound. I normally dimiss any CDP that comes through my system, just because its digital. but this thing has found a home. I have even traded off or sold all my sacds, knowing I wont be looking for a player for them.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other great players used in the range:

Accuphase DP-75V (as good as you will find at $4K or less)
Accuphase DP-57
Accuphase DP-400

Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP (fabulous but doesn't have any digital inputs)

I second these options, Accuphase does some of the best digital I have heard for most price ranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back