Recommendations for a good Full-Sized/Circumaural pair of Headphones (considering my criteria [inside])?
Apr 27, 2009 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

lastdodobird

Head-Fier
Hopefully you guys could recommend a good full-sized/circumaural pair of headphones for me considering the following:

I've been into this audio hobby for around five years now and I started with a pair of Sennheiser PX-100's, which were great at the time because I loved the bass and general audio quality.

Right now, I've already dumped the PX-100's for a pair of Shure E2G's. As it is, the Shure E2G's weren't really great for me because I found the sound too thin although it was relatively detailed. I wasn't supposed to get it as an upgrade from the PX-100's - However, when coupled with the FiiO E3, the Shure E2G's performance increased dramatically. Compared with my old pair of Senns, the PX-100's bass started to sound too muddy and boomy.

So as it stands, my listening chain is: iPod/laptop --> FerdsDAC (if using the laptop) --> FiiO E3 --> 75ohms Impedance Adapter (DIY) --> Shure E2G

But now, I'm looking for a pair of full-sized/circumaural headphones since IEM's can't really give me the type of soundstage/imaging that I really crave for.
  1. I don't really want a pair that excels with a certain kind of frequency. No exceptionally boomy bass, no exceptionally sparkly highs... I just want everything to be nice and perfectly balanced.
  2. I also don't mind so much with aesthetics such as comfort or isolation... Portability doesn't matter much as well since I plan to use the pair only at home or work... But durability might be a factor.
  3. The important things for me right now are the level of detail, and most importantly: The soundstage. Those two things are the parts where I want my new pair to excel.
So to summarize: Balanced frequency response b/w the bass, mids & treble... Doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing, but needs a certain amount of durability... and has to have great soundstage/imaging with a good amount of detail.

As for my price range (since I know that will be asked): I'm not so knowledgable with prices and I don't want to be spending too much... I just want the cheapest pair that will provide a noticable difference from my current setup; something worthy of upgrading to.

Hope you guys can throw in recommendations
wink.gif
Thanks!

Apr 27, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 22
If level of detal and soundstage are important, you should consider the audio technica ad900, which is a very, very nice headphone, with great mids, great highs, OK to good bass (not for bassheads), has great detail and a very large soundstage. It is also very fast. It benefits from an amp, but it will perform well without one.

Apr 27, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 22
So far I've owned only Sony 7506 and AT A900 (the closed version of AD900), so I don't know if my opinion is any good. Just to share that I am disappointed with a900 bass extension. My impressions are that strength of the bass is at most FINE (can't say GOOD). But the bass extension is surely limited. I am listening to many songs that I listened before with 7506 for comparison and clearly there is something in the low-end that is just not there.

Apr 27, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 22
The only headphone I've tried that has a balanced sound is the HD650 so far.

From what I have read, I suspect the HD600 furthers into the balanced sound spectrum. The AD900 which I love has bit too much sparkle to be considered balanced. The DT770 that was mentioned, yeah its both unbalanced sound with too much bass and the bass is flabby/muddy.

So cheapest pair I can think of trying, is the HD600. Of the headphones I've tried, the HD650 as I have not tried the HD600. If you can find a HD580 used, then buy yourself HD650 cables with HD600 grill, you are all set. That would be the cheapest route.

Of all the headphones I've tried, ones that sound closest to my monitor speakers have been the HD650 and I suspect the HD600/HD580 will do a great job as well.

Good luck.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 22
Another vote for the AD900. If you want to save some money you could also consider the AD700.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From what I have read, I suspect the HD600 furthers into the balanced sound spectrum. The AD900 which I love has bit too much sparkle to be considered balanced. The DT770 that was mentioned, yeah its both unbalanced sound with too much bass and the bass is flabby/muddy.

So cheapest pair I can think of trying, is the HD600. Of the headphones I've tried, the HD650 as I have not tried the HD600. If you can find a HD580 used, then buy yourself HD650 cables with HD600 grill, you are all set. That would be the cheapest route.

Of all the headphones I've tried, ones that sound closest to my monitor speakers have been the HD650 and I suspect the HD600/HD580 will do a great job as well.

Good luck.

x2

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good luck.

The Senns will require a good amp though and the OP doesn't have one.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 22
My Compass has an option for a warmer sound with the Moon HDAM. My experience, the AD900 sounds better with a neutral sound than with some boost on the low end. If bass quantity is important, don't bother with the AD900.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #12 of 22
I use both AD900 and HD600 (which are recommended here) and I have to say, if you want warm and more balanced sound, I would pick HD600. But if you want more airy sound with sparkle, you would want AD900. Like the above post, I wouldn't consider AD900 if bass is what you want.
Both pairs have great details and soundstage, but if I have to pick one pair for these criteria, I would pick AD900 but that is my opinion.

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Would the FiiO E3 (which I find is a good bass booster) be able to drive and balance out the AD900 well?

It might. Can't say for sure though. People have said it works well for the AD700 though.

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #14 of 22
Go with the Sennheiser HD-600. It has been the de facto neutral, balanced headphone for years. Yes, it needs an amp, but a decent solid state one will give you what you're looking for. Something along the lines of a Gilmore Lite, M^3, EC/SS, CK2III, or Beta22 will give you what you're looking for. Those are reasonable and all excellent. If you want tubes, save up and do it right. You don't want an el cheapo transformer on a PCB. The transformer and power supply are critical - much moreso than tuberolling. At least I think so.

You're going to get a small army of Audio-Technica fans in here. Nothing wrong with them, but please dig back and read up on the HD-600. You'll like what you find.

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 22
I have recommended the ad900, but I also agree with the other recommendations of the hd600. It's a wonderful headphone, neutralish and detailed. It's just quite different from the ad900 which has less impressive bass (very much so in fact) but a huge soundstage. And an amp is necessary to realize its full potential, which truth be told is much larger than the ad900's potential. the hd600 upscales very well. Well, it's your choice
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back