Recommendations for a compact, single-box solution for the HD600? <$300
Sep 21, 2014 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

faisal2003456

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. I'm looking for something I can toss in my backpack when I travel. Needing power from the mains or a battery is perfectly fine and I have no preference on that.

Requirements:
  1. Small, can fit in backpack (disqualifies Audio-GD products)
  2. Single unit solution (no Magni/Modi)
  3. Powerful enough to drive the HD600 on a noise-free gain setting
  4. USB input (my laptop's motherboard might be noisy, so I'd prefer something that will filter most of that out)
  5. No exposed tubes (may break in bag and the light they emit would bother me when I'm in the dark) (disqualifies the Aune T1)
  6. Under $300, around $200 is preferable

I've found a few examples that would suit me, but would like some input from you guys. Also, let me know about any other products I may have overlooked.
  1. JDS O2+ODAC (Pricey, but the black background makes this very nice)
  2. NuForce HDP/Icon DAC/Icon HD (Dunno about NuForce though, their reputation has been in the drain since the uDAC-2)
  3. Audinst HUD-MX1/2 (Don't know about the quality or power output, but attractive price point)
  4. Fiio E07k (apparently can run the HD600, but barely)
  5. Yulong U100 (decent price on sale or used)
  6. Matrix Mini-I (heard the amp is mediocre and very expensive)

Thanks

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 21
get a DacportLX...it has a refined sound. volume control is thru your laptop.
( the Dacport is slightly more grainy...this one comes with a vol control on the cigar)

I could power a DT770/600ohm thru my McAir..not an issue.

http://www.amazon.com/CEntrance-DACport-LX-Low-noise-portable/dp/B005WKDZ5K

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 21
Can't speak to the Meridian Explorer personally but the newer version seems to get very good reviews and supposedly pairs very well with the HD600s...as evidenced in the later pages of this thread (and others)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650680/news-meridian-releases-the-explorer-pocket-sized-usb-dac/990

Am giving it some thought as well since the price came down to $149.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 21
  Just buy an ODAC/O2 and never worry about DAC's and amps again.

I'll probably end up upgrading in a year or two. The ODAC has no optical in and the O2 has no true pre-amp function. I know the other products I listed don't either, but they don't cost $290 (w/ power in the back, 3.5mm out in the back, 1.0x and 3.5x). That said, the objective combo is definitely my front runner. I'd just like something cheaper as the headphones themselves bled me dry.

get a DacportLX...it has a refined sound. volume control is thru your laptop.
( the Dacport is slightly more grainy...this one comes with a vol control on the cigar)

I could power a DT770/600ohm thru my McAir..not an issue.

http://www.amazon.com/CEntrance-DACport-LX-Low-noise-portable/dp/B005WKDZ5K

I was actually reading about the Dacport and Dacport LX (Dacport has slightly more output than the LX) last night. It seems like a great product and I could just get a desktop amp later on, while maintaining a portable source/solution. I was about to buy one at $190, but I'm concerned about the voltage.

Can't speak to the Meridian Explorer personally but the newer version seems to get very good reviews and supposedly pairs very well with the HD600s...as evidenced in the later pages of this thread (and others)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650680/news-meridian-releases-the-explorer-pocket-sized-usb-dac/990

Am giving it some thought as well since the price came down to $149.

http://www.audiobot9000.com/match/sennheiser/hd-600/with/meridian-audio/explorer

The Explorer can't amp the HD600 properly. Its max output is 130mW. The people on the thread you linked actually do not recommend it. This is unfortunate, because at $150 it seems like a very nice product.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 21
I third the O2+ODAC. It's really overkill for high impedance headphones (which, contrary to popular belief, are less demanding for the amp) but you're just about guaranteed transparent performance with any future headphone. The suite of performance measurements into a variety of loads is great peace of mind.

If you're just looking for something to bide your time until you can get an amp/DAC with more robust features, then no it's not worth the money. It's best for an endgame setup. You might want to stick to something China-made like the Yulong in the meantime.

The Explorer can't amp the HD600 properly. Its max output is 130mW. The people on the thread you linked actually do not recommend it. This is unfortunate, because at $150 it seems like a very nice product.

Peaks of 105 dB is pretty decent. Ideally you want peaks around 110 dB to be sure, but that's to cover for worst case scenarios. If you don't listen to highly dynamic music at loud average volumes of 90 dB+ you'd be OK with 105 dB.

It's also worth noting that Audiobot didn't account for the difference in the damping of voltage between 16 and 300 ohms, which thanks to the 5 ohm output impedance means you'll be getting more voltage at 300 ohms than 16 ohms. You can expect peak volume closer to 107 dB. If I'm doing my math right, anyway.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 21
wat voltage...??  it is USB powered. 

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 21

I've found a few examples that would suit me, but would like some input from you guys. Also, let me know about any other products I may have overlooked.

Just a few notes on two of the products you listed:

O2+ODAC : very high value for money; lacks grunt of more powerful desktop amps with huge power supplies but at this price range, very low noise and ample power are hard to beat
NuForce HDP : Not at all that small when you consider the PSU brick; upper bass distortion when I listened through it (instead of solid "thud" from the bass drum, it does a "thWWAck")

You might also want to consider the Meier Corda PCStep. I tried the second  and third generation portable DAC-HPamp from Meier (already forgot what it was called then) - neutral and transparent with a little bit more grunt in the upper bass (although overall output power and outright output levels are a bit lower); low noise comparable to the O2+ODAC (only tried the separate units).

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 21
  The Dacport LX outputs 2.07 V, which won't get you the full dynamic range of the HD600 (apparently, this is where I become confused). The regular Dacport looks better for the HD600.

2.07 V is enough for about 109 dB. Again, goal is 110 dB to cover all bases, but you'll be perfectly fine with 109.

Actually, with a gain setting of 1x on the O2, you'll get exactly 2 Vrms from a standard DAC like the ODAC. So if you're afraid 2.07 won't cut it you better stick with the default 2.5x gain 
smile.gif

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 21
2 volts is enough for the HD 600's or HD 650's this is true. They are really not that hard to drive.

I did not know that you get an ODAC/O2 for $240 though, that is awesome.

I have used it as a pre-amp.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 21

I listen at high volumes usually. It's a habit I want to kick (probably started, because software volume control removed bit depth). I think I'm really just looking for something that won't take up the entirety of my dorm room's desk, but something that wont make me think about upgrading after a few months. Thanks for the help on voltage. If I get the Objective setup, I'll probably go for the 1.0x and 3.5x. However, for the price of the Objective setup I can get a used Asgard 2 and HRT Musicstreamer II, which I'm guessing is going to sound better. That's why the Chinese made stuff looks better (in my current situation).

Just a few notes on two of the products you listed:

O2+ODAC : very high value for money; lacks grunt of more powerful desktop amps with huge power supplies but at this price range, very low noise and ample power are hard to beat
NuForce HDP : Not at all that small when you consider the PSU brick; upper bass distortion when I listened through it (instead of solid "thud" from the bass drum, it does a "thWWAck")

You might also want to consider the Meier Corda PCStep. I tried the second  and third generation portable DAC-HPamp from Meier (already forgot what it was called then) - neutral and transparent with a little bit more grunt in the upper bass (although overall output power and outright output levels are a bit lower); low noise comparable to the O2+ODAC (only tried the separate units).

Thanks for the input on the NuForce. I read that they aren't very refined. The Meier is in a whole other price bracket.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 21
Sorry, nothing is going to sound better than the O2. The HRT DAC is good though. It sounded the same to me as the ODAC when I had it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back