Recommendations for a $1000 headphone?
May 5, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 9
Using Hifiman Amanda w/ Benchmark DAC3, very happy. DAC3 is probably an overkill, I also have Khadas Tone Board w/ Schiit Magni, where is not so much details, not so well controlled bass, mainly due to Magni. The advantage of Ananda is that it doesn't require lots of power.

Jun 13, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 9
I also am looking to upgrade from the he-400 and the first gen modi vali stack.

Would the sundara be considered a step up from the 400?

Anyone compare the sound of DCA's aeon flow 2s?

Jun 13, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 9
Hi looking to upgrade form my HE-400 to a $1000 headphone, any suggestions/recommendations? What dac/amp would be nicely paired with it? Thanks in advance.
The Audeze LCD-X is an option. It doesn’t need a lot of power to drive it, but does scale very well with better, higher powered equipment.

Jun 14, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 9
Hi looking to upgrade form my HE-400 to a $1000 headphone, any suggestions/recommendations? What dac/amp would be nicely paired with it? Thanks in advance.

It really depends on the headphones. For me a dacamp is not a general purpose solution, I haven't seen any that have enough amp for all my headphones. For Fostex and LCD-2C you could be happy with an RME ADI-2 DAC. For Sennheiser, even the 600/650/6XX you will notice improvement with more amp. The LCD-2C is a very good value and it's less than 1K. However, it is warm and the fit is not for everybody. The DAC makes less difference than finding a pair of cans you like and it is harder to pick cans that are comfortable and also sound like you want them to sound.

Probably the best advice is to settle on which headphones and then pick a mainstream DAC with the features you want.

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 9
Probably the best advice is to settle on which headphones and then pick a mainstream DAC with the features you want.
I agree, don't confuse matters by choosing two things simultaneously. Pick the headphones first, as they're the most important component. And the difference between headphones is WAY bigger than the difference between most dacs, and even many amps. It's much easier to match a dac/amp to your favorite headphones than the other way 'round. All IMHO of course.

As for headphones, it would help to know what character you're shooting for. Some of the best choices in this price point might be the Ananda, LCD2C, Elex and Aeon Flow, but they're all VERY different sounding. Maybe start by letting us know what you liked and didn't like about your 400's, for example. (and any others you've had/heard)

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 9
Used pair of stax headphones and driver, or the srs 3100.

Jun 15, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 9
But try to hear it first. While used stax pair is for sure one of the best sounds in technical terms around 1k i couldn't live with the liveless stax sound as a single headphone.

Thats of course personal taste - I would say the Stax sound is the most lively and exciting sound, but to each his own. But I'll agree that demoing is always best :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back