Recommendations for $50-100 range
Jul 4, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #16 of 26
I have decided on the Equation Audio RP-21s myself, though I'm at a loss as to where to get them. However, the Audio Technica line looks good and seems to have support behind it. It also looks easier to find.

Jul 4, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really should look at the Equation Audio RP-21 or even the RP-15 if you want portable. You won't see an advertised price for the 21 below $99 but if you find a local dealer on the Equation Audio site you will most likely find a price below that. There is a huge thread for this hp that's never far from page 1 precisely because of its price/performance ratio.

I can't seem to find the RP-15 anywhere. Searched on google but really not much help. Pricegrabber doesn't have it either. Any ideas?

Also, how does the RP-15 compare to RP-21 and SR60? Is it just as good or what?

Jul 4, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #18 of 26
Just a note on Grados. They can be surprisingly comfortable after a time. I've had my heavy aluminum caned Grados with the bowl pads for almost ten months, and after the pads had a few months to fully settle-in, they are now just as comfortable as my HD600.

.....I did manage to get in a fourteen hour listening marathon within a week after getting them, however!
biggrin.gif

Should a person have to wait that long to be comfortable? It's a bummer, but if the sound is what a listener is after, there aren't many choices but to wait.

I think it was worth it. I can now wear my phones until I run out of music!

Jul 4, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a note on Grados. They can be surprisingly comfortable after a time. I've had my heavy aluminum caned Grados with the bowl pads for almost ten months, and after the pads had a few months to fully settle-in, they are now just as comfortable as my HD600.

.....I did manage to get in a fourteen hour listening marathon within a week after getting them, however!
biggrin.gif

Should a person have to wait that long to be comfortable? It's a bummer, but if the sound is what a listener is after, there aren't many choices but to wait.

I think it was worth it. I can now wear my phones until I run out of music!

I just thought of something. Since I like the SR60 a lot, maybe I can get some other better pad to just put over them and it may be more comfortable. I am just not sure what kind of pads are good, how much they cost, etc. Somebody mentioned getting a $15 off from TTVJ or w/e when buying SR60 - I can just spend those 15 on a new pad and maybe add $5-10 if I have to. What do you folks think?

SR60 VS RP-15 VS RP-21 VS MDR-V6 VS HD280pro VS PortaPros. Put it all in order from what you think is best to worse considering comfort AND price vs performance ratio(with comfort being the small factor cause I can just get some pad if they aren't very comfortable)!

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #20 of 26
SR60 VS RP-15 VS RP-21 VS MDR-V6 VS HD280pro VS PortaPros

For gaming:
HD555 (still better than all these)
HD280 Pro
PortaPro
SR60
MDRV6

Music:
HD555
TIE SR60/HD280 Pro (depends on the type)
PortaPro
MDRV6

Comfort:
PortaPro
HD555
MDRV6
HD280 Pro
SR60

Haven't heard Equation.

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #22 of 26
I just recently got my SR80s and I'm enjoying every minute of it
smily_headphones1.gif

Check your local Virgin Musicstore cause I just saw that they have SR125 on clearance for $70.

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bladefd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just thought of something. Since I like the SR60 a lot, maybe I can get some other better pad to just put over them and it may be more comfortable. I am just not sure what kind of pads are good, how much they cost, etc. Somebody mentioned getting a $15 off from TTVJ or w/e when buying SR60 - I can just spend those 15 on a new pad and maybe add $5-10 if I have to. What do you folks think?

SR60 VS RP-15 VS RP-21 VS MDR-V6 VS HD280pro VS PortaPros. Put it all in order from what you think is best to worse considering comfort AND price vs performance ratio(with comfort being the small factor cause I can just get some pad if they aren't very comfortable)!

May I introduce you to the term of "pad rolling"!
blink.gif

To start with there are the "comfy" pads as used on the SR-60 and the MS-1.

....speaking of the MS-1; that's another good one to think about.

Then there are the bowl pads used on all the Grados and Alessandros other than the "Bagels" used on the GS1k only.

Then there are the flat pads that Grado used till Johns' ears got older.

Then the ever popular HD414s either stock or modded with a whole variety of hole sizes, either normal or reversed.

Plus the bowls or flats either normal or reversed.

Then there are RatShack pads and C-Pads and even a few others.*whew*

All kinds of options, and they're all rather inexpensive(mostly)and give all kinds of ways to custom tune the cans for just that right mix of comfort and performance!
icon10.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #24 of 26
You sure know your pads.
blink.gif

biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sure know your pads.
blink.gif

biggrin.gif

Where the fun comes in of course is that we don't really know what we like till we try it!

All I've tried thus far are the comfies, the bowls,(forward and reversed)the 414s in about five configurations, and the RatShacks. And it has been fun!

For my aging ears I'm real happy with the bowls on my MS2i and reversed and modded 414s on my MS-1. Although I may enjoy the bowls on my MS-1 as well, but I didn't think to readjust the headband for them, and don't really want to wait for a new set to settle-in with time.
frown.gif

See! Pad rolling can be lots of fun!

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #26 of 26
I can't comment on cans I haven't heard, so I can't really rank all of the contenders. I do, however, agree that when comparing the PortaPros and the SR60s, the PPros are the more comfortable while the SR60s are clearly superior sonically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back