Recommendations for $50-100 range
Jul 4, 2007 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

bladefd

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, I was looking for a headphone for around 50-100 and was wondering what is best to get. After some thought, I decided that I definitely don't want to spend above $100. If I can get something for 50-70 it would be best. I already put some research into this but I am not really a pro about this like you folks here.

I currently have an Icemat Siberia and it is completely dead now. It has worked fine for me for almost 3 years now and it's time to move on instead of going through the hassle of getting it repaired and/or replaced.

-I already have a standalone mic right now so I don't need a headset with a mic.

-I play lots of games like CSS, listen to music(some classical, little jazz, some rock,etc) so the headphone would be just for that. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile.

-It doesn't really matter whether if the headphone is 5.1 surround sound or not(obviously there is no decent "true" 5.1 surround sound for headphones albeit that point is pretty much moot). I already have a Icemat Siberia USB external soundcard(virtual 7.1 sound) so I will probably use that for whatever my new headphone is.

-I like closed circumaural headphones but it's no big deal if they are open circumaural. Imo, they are the most comfortable since they go around the ears instead of ON the ears. I am going to be wearing them for extensive periods while gaming(I am a hardcore gamer)
600smile.gif

Headphones that I am considering/considered after some research:
1) Grado SR-60. It got lots of good reviews and is arguably the best headphone under $xxx but it is a surpraaural. I am not too sure if they would be comfortable to me for EXTENSIVE periods.
2) Sennheiser HD515. These would probably be perfect for my ears but there were a few reviews that I read which mentioned something about bass being on the weak side. They still do not have terrible reviews. Still considering.
3) Sennheiser HD555. I know these cost more than $100 but if they are really worth it, I might be able to find a set on ebay for less than their retail price. BUT buying it off ebay may void the warranty. I haven't read Sennheiser's policy on that. I would be treading on a risky path by getting these from ebay if something goes wrong a year down the road.
4) Sennheiser HD280 PRO. I have looked at TONS of reviews for these. They seem to have interested me a lot. I have yet to find a big negative for these. I MAY just decide to get these unless recommended otherwise.
5) Sennheiser HD205. I probably won't be getting these considering that the other 4 I listed are probably way better than this but I did once consider it.
6) Sony MDR-XD400. Read in couple reviews that they tend to get sweaty around the ears after extensive use but are pretty decent for its price tag otherwise. Didn't really go too far with these.

I looked at a bunch more reviews for other 'phones but these 6 probably stood out the most. I am sure I overlooked a detail here or there but hopefully it is enough information for you folks. Thanks people and hopefully somebody has an idea or 2 they can throw on.

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 26
Based on music types (light rock and classical)...

SR60 -- Doesn't have the bass fullness of more expensive models of the Grado line for classical. Rock does well.

HD515 -- Just forget about it. These are flat out terrible. Boomy bass and no real midrange.

HD555 -- Probably the one I would choose out of these for music types and these do well for gaming. Good full bass response, mids and highs scale well, good soundstage and imaging for gaming.

HD280 Pro -- Not a bad one either. A flatter response, not as full as the HD555 but good at mids and highs. Gaming does well.

HD205 -- Why these--they are only $40...might as well buy these with what you're getting.

Haven't heard the MDRXD400 but was unimpressed with the 200 model.

Overall out of all of these the HD555 seems the best. HD280 Pro a close second. SR60's a third. The rest aren't too exciting in comparison.

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #3 of 26
SR60s
PortaPros

I'm starting to feel like I'm on auto-repeat, because I always make the same two recommendations in threads like this! But I've owned both of these cans, and can wholeheartedly recomment both of them.

I think the SR60s are simply great phones, and an astounding bargain for $69.

You might also want to consider the PortaPros. These are definately targeted at the portable market, but at $39 they are a steal for general purpose listening as well. Side-to-side imaging is quite good, and the freq balance is natural and doesn't over-emphasize any part of the range. Detail is also good, and bass is punchy without being bloated.

They are also quite lightweight and comfortable; I currently own a pair and use them for hours at a time. In addition to the ear pads, there are small, rectangular foam pads that sit over your temples, providing some additional support. They also have the advantage of folding up and fitting nicely into a provided vinyl carry pouch. And they come with Koss's fabled lifetime warranty.

My only criticism is that they do not handle extremely loud volume particularly well. But at any reasonable SPL, they sound great.

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 26
I'd grab the SR60s from TTVJ. If you are a first time buyer there is a $15 discount. Great price.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd grab the SR60s from TTVJ. If you are a first time buyer there is a $15 discount. Great price.

second the SR60s from TTVJ. Great deal for em.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #6 of 26
Do they still offer the $15 cupon?

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #7 of 26
NOO. do NOT get the sr60s. they are very uncomfortable (this is subjective) and are not intended for long periods of use. i dont understand why people would reccomend them for gaming!! they are also OPEN, which you are not exactly looking for. i've only used the sr60s but from what i hear, the hd555 would be your best option.

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 26
HD555s or 595s work really well as well, I just dont like the 555s because all of the gaming hype (MLG, all the kids that play Halo 2 use 555s, and they think they are the best headphones that exist, no joke. If you try to tell them that something better exists they laught, and make fun of you).

also, I had both, didnt like the 555s because they didnt meet my standards in music, so I returned them for HD595s. Those were good for the few weeks that that I had them before the HD600s came in. They didnt get any use, the E500s were my portables, and HD600s for home. Those were then sold off. I would say that if you happen to find a good deal for HD595s around 150ish, streatch your limit a little and grab them. They are gread headphones.

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 26
SR60's - A few of you brought it up. They might be the best under $100 but they just don't seem to be made for extensive periods of time as somebody else mentioned. It's still a possibility but due to that I MIGHT not buy them. Comfort is a big need for me.
PortaPros - Just looked at a simple review and they seem to have good price vs. performance ratio. I am going to look into this a little bit more.
HD555 - Still looking on ebay for these. Starting to think I might not find any decent deal.
HD595 - To far out of my range.
Audio-Technica A500 - They look pretty damn good. I really can't seem to find any good deals for them on ebay though. I had promised myself not to go above $100 at all and I really don't want to go too far as to go above 100(If I go 10 bucks above 100, I might think "Well why not just go up 40 higher if I can go up 10 and get something even better") lol. I am sure I will get just as good sound from some of the other cans and since I am not an audiophile, I won't be able to tell the diff really.
tongue.gif

Throwing in another headphone for consideration: Sony MDR-V6. Read some good stuff about it. i.e. http://byrneweb.com/sunburn/audio/hd280vsv6.html

If I stick with my budget and take extensive periods of use per day into the equation, the main battle would be between prolly HD280 pro, PortaPros, MDR-V6,

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 26
I personally just ordered the Senn EH350 at NewEgg for $57 shipped. Fairly detailed and has soundstage I heard. Only let down is its lack of bass.

Many reg Joes seem to favor it though gauging from the online reviews. Quite surprised since I thought most people didn't like the neutral/less bassy phones.

There's even reports of it being used as a gaming phone! They said the bass was 'sufficient' so I'm guessing it really isn't all that bad.

Since it's neutral, you can easily tweak the SQ to your liking via EQ. For me though, factors that solidified my decision was its
1. clarity
2. airiness/soundstage
3. comfort
4. good looks
5. good value

Good luck.

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 26
If you're willing to spend $120 though, then get the AD700s.
They have soundstage, a smooth, detailed presentation and was stated by someone to be a better all arounder than the MS1s.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 26
You really should look at the Equation Audio RP-21 or even the RP-15 if you want portable. You won't see an advertised price for the 21 below $99 but if you find a local dealer on the Equation Audio site you will most likely find a price below that. There is a huge thread for this hp that's never far from page 1 precisely because of its price/performance ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back