Recommendations after Shure e2c's (for house / electronic music...)
Jan 31, 2006 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Guust-Fi

100+ Head-Fier
After I broke my Shure e2c's I need new canalphones / IEM's.

I will be mainly using them walking, on the train, and on my bike. In other words, on the move (actively)
I need to keep the price around €150 because of my budget.

I mostly listen to house / electronic music although I enjoy jazz and acoustic music as well as pop. I think I'll have to go with some trade-off's allthough I would like to have some canalphones that aren't too unbalanced so I can still listen to Ray Charles without having them ruining the recording.

Overall, perhaps I'd sacrifice some detail for a nice punch and some good vibes if you know what I mean
smily_headphones1.gif

The source is an Iriver H320 with Rockbox firmware.
Sonically, they are supposed to one of the best mp3 players around except for the Rio Karma I guess.

To be honest, the included Sennheiser 350 earbuds (with the protection foam screen thing removed) were most the most enjoyable listening experience. They keep falling out though and they offer no isolation.
My Sennheiser HD-555's are pretty boring with the kind of music I listen to on the move, they are very good at jazz imo. Especially for that price.

To give you a better idea, these are some known artists I listen to:

Mylo, Fatboy Slim, Felix da Housecat, Daan, Armand van Helden, Roger Sanchez, Moby, Groove Armada, Tiga, Daft Punk and lots of mixes byvarious artists by Sick Puppy for example.

You can find more of that for free over here:
http://www.sickpuppydog.com/cds.php

I don't listen to real rock-hardrock alot and I definitely won't be listening to rap and r&b.

Afaik, it looks like the e3c's might fit the bill because I've heard they are supposed to have good mids and this is required for the kind of music I listen too.

About the e2c's (as far as I remember :s) :

They were too big for my ears. I didn't seem to get the rubber tips in so I ended up using the middle sized foamies. They had very good isolation and I wouldn't like to lose that too much.
I don't know how deep most people could insert them but when I removed the canalphones from my ears, about 3to4/5 of the foam was compressed. Inserting them deeper was too uncomfortable.

The sound was not exactly what I was looking for as well. The soundstage wasn't very big (yes, I know it's still a canalphone) and together with the upfront, sibilant sound, it was somewhat fatigueing with the kind if music I enjoy. They weren't afwull for the price though but I'd be glad to find something better which isn't too expensive and would give my ears such a tough job.

Besides that, there's was enough bass, but not well defined. To avoid confusion, I am not a basshead.
I'd rather have a well defined whack & punch instead of boom-boomy sound.

Also, there wasn't alot detail in the high's which I disliked listening to stuff with guitar work such as Eric Clapton etc. but on the other hand the rolled off treble should be less fatigueing with dance music.

I was thinking about:

Weststone UM 1
Shure e3c
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5EB
EDIT: Altec iM716

Anything I should definitely stay away of?
What do you think?

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 13
E3s, from what I've heard, have a significant rolled off treble, making you lose all the details in the high end. I think E4s would be more suitable for you.

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 13
If you're looking for well-defined bass from an IEM and are not looking for "bass-head" quality bass, why not consider the Super.fi 5 Pro? I listen to house, electronic, jazz, rap, country, classical, trance, world, R&B, you name it, I listen to it.
smily_headphones1.gif
They sf5p's have fit the bill for all types of music. Granted, the sound stage is better on full-size cans, IMHO, but that's the trade-off with IEM's I believe.

Based on your description, I would recommend you stay away from the Super.fi 5 EB, as they will be overwhelming for you, most likely. The sf5p's on the other hand, sound just like what the doctor ordered.
wink.gif

-Vik

EDIT: Just realized you had a $150 budget... hmmmm... can it be stretched, maybe, $40-$50? It's well worth it...

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 13
have to toss in a vote for the UM1's. I went from the e2c's to the um1's as my main commuting phones and the difference is clear as day. the e2c's sound like listening through a wet sock in comparison. Much more detail without fatigue. The cable is lighter and much more comfortable without pulling on your ears like the e2's and Westone's customer service is top notch. Not one week after I received them I yanked the right driver out of it's cord after snagging it on a coat button and turning abruptly. I was mortified and sent it in to Westone right away hoping for a repair and a subsequent bill. They were sent back 2nd day air to me in a week completely repaired free of charge. Can't really beat that.

Jan 31, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter
E3s, from what I've heard, have a significant rolled off treble, making you lose all the details in the high end. I think E4s would be more suitable for you.

I've read about the treble roll-off. How bad is it compared to the e2c's?

The E4's are out of the question. I can hardly justify the amount I'll be investing in canalphones right now.

The super.fi 5 EB's are out as well I guess.
Super.fi 5's, tempted but I think I'll have to pass...mm

The thing is, my e2c's ended up between the gears of my bicycle.
I am sure this won't happen again but being a student, I'm kindof reluctant to spend so much money on canalphones for everyday use.

What about the super.fi 3's?
I've seen they look kind of silly because they stick out. Is this a concern or is that exaggerated in the pics? Do the e3c's stick out in the same way?

Also, I am not aware of any shop in Belgium where I can audition any. (please inform me) I guess ordering online won't give you a "not satisfied, money back" guarantee, would it?

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guust-Fi
What about the super.fi 3's?
I've seen they look kind of silly because they stick out. Is this a concern or is that exaggerated in the pics? Do the e3c's stick out in the same way?

It's not really that bad for me, but I think my ear canals are angled different because mine stick forewards rather than straight out. Basically all of the IEMs besides the UM1, ER6, and E2c stick out like that.

Never tried the UM1, but from what I have heard it is a good comprimise between the Super.fi 3s and the ER6i

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Also, I am not aware of any shop in Belgium where I can audition any.

If you want to demo a set of UM1/UM2 out in Belgium, give Variphone a call. Ask for Stefan Voortmans. He is out distributor for all of Europe. He'd be happy to let you stop by and give them a go.

www.inears.com

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 13
Actually, the super.fi 5 EB's rock for electronica. At first, I was quite disappointed with them, but they have completely grown on me. After you experience the bass on these, it's hard to go back to IEM's with down-to-earth bass. You might need to boost the treble a bit to get the most out of them, but I would definitely recommend them for techno (which is what I listen to mostly).

One other note: from my point of view, when you're on the move, bass is by far the most important freq. response of the headphone since the low frequencies seem to be the most easily lost to outside noises (anyone have test data to back this up? or is it just me?) That's why most low-budget earbuds are so bass-heavy. For me, this is most evident when flying. Thus, any headphone with decent highs and emphasized bass works well for a portable setup. Since the EB's use the same high driver as the Pro's, they have very good highs when equalized. Their bass is way bloated at first, but settles down quite a bit after decent burn-in.

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 13
I would try the 5EBS if I were you...I agree 100% with what ReD sKyE said. Especially "After you experience the bass on these, it's hard to go back to IEM's with down-to-earth bass" .

Feb 4, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 13
Ok were almost there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
I went from E2's to E3's and I love them. Better everything in my opinion.

Did you dislike the e2c's as well?

Do you think it's worth buying something better, with upgradeability (custom ear molds)?
Or are most mid/high-end canalphones around 200$ not worth the extra cost of custom molds, and should I stick with a "basic" canalphone for now, until I can afford something "decent"?

Collected Quotes:

e3c
Quote:

These two are still in relatively the same class when it comes down to technical performances. ER-4 has a little more high-range detail, E3c has better midrange and lows

Quote:

I traded in my UM-1's for Shure E3's and I am very pleased. The UM-1's and E3's are very similar sounding but I give the nod to E3's for perhaps a little more spacious soundstage (and I personally love the overall build quality of Shures).

Quote:

The E3c has more air and tonality between the notes. Overall it makes a much more musical presentation. The E3c is also more forward, it has a lot more excitement. The sound is punchier, the overall tone is fuller, and especially apparent in the low ranges where the bass is much more filled out than the ER-4. In comparison the ER-4 sounds very subdued and controlled.

UM1
Quote:

I recently had the same choice between the SuperFi3 and the UM1s, and i purchased both of them. In the end I chose the UM1s for several reasons:
1. The UM1 seemed to have a much more pronounced low end. The Superfis had some bass, but definitely had to be EQ'ed in order to reach the same level.
2. The Superfi3s stuck out of the ear too much. The Westones had a very nice flush profile which allowed them to be worn even when lying down on my side. Also nice for wearing headphones in class....
3. Memory wire is just not for me. I found the memory wire to be much more of a hinderance than helpful. It took much longer to put on the UE's since I felt like I was always trying to untangle the cord from around the memory wire part of the IEM.
4. The UM1s are much warmer sounding. The Superfi's have great mids and highs, no doubt about it. The UM1s seem to have a more recessed upper range, but this isn't a problem for me. It actually allowed for a less fatiguing listening experience, as well as a more "fun" one.

I'm very happy with choosing the UM1The braided cord seems very sturdy and it doesn't seem to tangle that much. The only thing against it is the lack of tips that are included. The cord on the westone um1 is a little on the short side, I do love the fact that the UM1 has very little microphonics.

Quote:

You should definitely consider the UM1 as they're cheaper than the E3Cs and many feel they are superior in comfort and sound

Quote:

Not quite detailed as the ER6i but these earphones have wonderful mids and better bass. Bass is very good. Tight and punchy. Have a slight mid bass hump. Lower bass extends quite a bit. Mids are sweet! Vocals sound very good on them. UM1's treble is a little recess compared to the ER6i. UM1 is a musical earphone while the ER6i is more analytical. The UM1 can sound a bit muffled especially after listening to the ER6i. Very good for rock/metal/pop songs. On par with ER6i but different sound characteristics.
The UM1 have a warmer, lusher and fuller sound while ER6i have a more metallic, brighter sound. UM1 doesn't have the prominant details of the ER6i but its still there. To my ears, the UM1 is more musical, balanced earphone. The ER6i is a bit lopsided, leaning towards the treble. A more analytical earphone.

Quote:

I am liking the UM1's more and more as I use them, and I definately am not missing the E3c's. I'd reccomend them based on their low price, comfort, and good SQ and soundstage.

Quote:

I'd get the Um1's , they're way better than e2c's , both sonics and comfort. Still got a bit of a recessed treble , but really nice mids and bass. Way better definition and soundstage. More accurate but still on the musical side. They work really well with the iPod, UM1's are really really comfortable.

(In comparision with e3c I guess): Quote:

The UM1 is more comfortable, cheaper, and has better soundstage IMO. They both still have pretty rolled off highs and pronounced mids although the UM1's have much better bass when you're moving around (for some reason). I'd get the UM1's.

Quote:

I haven't heard either but did a lot of research around those IEMs and the UM1s were considered best inn that price range, better even than e3c.

Quote:

I'd totally agree with afbugs review, the midrange is wonderful, enough detail and bass is articulated and present. They have a very balanced sound, good soundstage, vocals, piano and instruments in general sound correct. I don't mind a less prominent treble means you can listen to music all day without fatigue, I'm using them with a 4g ipod and they work well unamped. They grow on you and you never want to take them out. As good as they are I could part with the hd580's without remorse but the UM1s are keepers.

Super.fi 3
Quote:

Superfis get the comfort vote. All day, no discomfort. ER-6, I'm uncomfortable at about 3-4 hours.

Quote:

They don't go far into the ear canal. To my ears, they have bright(ish) highs that manage to stop short of sibilance with nicely presented mids. The bass is a little thin, but the IEM responds well with a little EQ'ing

EDIT: Quote:

Soundstage: 6/10

Quote:

They totally fail to reproduce deep bass notes, whimping out with a weak thwap. Upright sting bass sound is horrible...which pretty much ruins a jazz album. Bass guitar has no growl, no texture, which pretty much elminates the fun from lots of rock. I'm no basshead, but this kind of deficiency actually draws me out of the music when I know there should be real bass instead of a whimper. Similarly, they roll off the high end...and the resulting sound is akin to listening to the world through a tube. This high-end deficiency wasn't immediately apparent, until comparison with the V6's or ER-4's. The V6's are too bright on the high end, but the ER-4's get it just about right

Quote:

The large silicone tips work best for me achieving a seal, but I find they're just slightly too large comfort-wise. After a couple hours of listening, my ear canals are ready for a break. The SF3's are MUCH more comfortable to me than the ER-4's. They don't need to be inserted as far to get a good seal, and I found getting a seal was much easier than with the ER-4's.

Quote:

My reference for impact is the excellent Grado line, and these phones fall notably short of the fun, rockin' Grado sound. In hindsight, after a few hours of listening, I'm rating impact relative to how much I found myself head-bopping and toe-tapping. The ER-4P's involve me with detail, the V6's involve me with their studio sound (nice bass, good detail), the PX-100's involve me with their flabby but not unpleasant presentation (ie, sloppy kiss), and the SR-60's involve me with each vocal attack or guitar riff. The SF3's just don't get me in the music.

Super-fi 5 EB
Quote:

If you can find a good deal on them you can probably find Super.fi EBs for around 150.. if you want to go that high I'd really recommend them. The bass is detailed with impact, and the highs and mids are certainly up to audiophile levels.

Altec iM716
Supposed to sound almost as good as ER4’s
Quote:

Bass seemed much tighter and cleaner through the Altecs than the E3Cs. When comparing loudness of the low-end, it was pretty comparable with the E2Cs, although the Altecs were not as muddy.

So far it seems like Westone UM1 is the way to go for me. I'll do a little more reading and then I'll try to order with a good return policy.

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #13 of 13
I just couldn't stand the default Sennheiser mx-400's that came with my mp3-player. After owning the Shure e2c's (they broke), I always wanted new canalphones.

Finally, after a long delay, I bought the UM-1 's. I ordered them yesterday from www.inears.com and I received them this very morning ... lightning fast shipping
smily_headphones1.gif

Impressions:
Waaw, they are small. The e2c's were pretty big but these are wonderfull. Nice clear design and very flush. I didn't try lying on a pillow while having them in though.
Nice cable as well, maybe a little short, we'll see.

The tips are considerably smaller than those on the e2c's and they are defenitly more comfortable, probably due to my pretty narrow ear canal.

So far I just tried them with my Iriver H320 mp3 player. The song was K's choice - Not an Addict. I have to admit, I was not blown away by the sound. The bass is definetly there, and I have been missing that, but everything sounded so muddy. And where is the treble I wondered?

I played the same song on my pc setup (sig) and there is definetly no comparision. So much more detail. Much more dynamics and tighter bass. My headphones immediatly sounded much better, but that's just placebo of course...

They are now burning in and I expect quite some improvement. I am not going to listen to them untill later this afternoon
evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, I am happy with them so far. I used to set the volume on my mp3-player at -24, sometimes even up to -20 and even then, riding your bicycle, all the detail is lost in overwhelming traffic noise. And you don't here any bass at all. Now I only have to set the volume to -34. Of course they are probably more sensitive but, the silence... no more to say. That alone should put a grin on your face
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back