Recommendation wanted..
Dec 5, 2017 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tom Steed

New Head-Fier
Hi all, i upgraded from sony mdr 1a's to HD600's and i love the sound with my setup which is PC based, Xonar STX essence card into a nobsound hybrid headphone amp. It all works great however i have discovered that the open back hd600's are not compatible with the wife. She is forever complaining about the sound leakage.

So, i have to move to closed back headphones but can't decide on a make or model. i have around £250 or $300 as a budget can anyone recommend some headphones that can perform similar.
Thanks, Tom.

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 5
The HD660S reminded me a lot of the Focal Listen (closed) in terms of tonality, but I haven't heard the HD600. Meze 99 Classics are popular as well in that price range. That should give you a start to find even more alternatives.

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 5
I used to have the HD600 before I upgraded to the HD700. I think the Beyerdynamic T70's sound signature is similar to the neutral HD600. Some people think the T70 is too bright sounding but to my ears it is very neutral and similar to the HD600.
So I would recommend the T70 250 ohm if you're willing to spend a little bit more. Other headphones that you might like, that are within your budget are the Bang & Olufsen H6 and NAD Viso HP50.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 5
The tonality of the 600's, IMO, is focused on the midrange which is hard to get "right" on a closed set of headphones.

If you are ok with a brighter sound I would recommend taking a look at Audio Technicas phones. If you like warmer, you can check out the ESW-9. It's tonally similar, but not as scale able, and not as detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back