Recommendation Please.
Jul 2, 2008 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

pwiles1968

Head-Fier
I have been into audio for a number of years but headphones have not been really my thing, but I would like to dip my toe so to speak.

I do have some sure S2c which sound fairly nice, I use them mainly at work or traveling I also have some Sennheiser PX200's which are not as nice but sound Ok, I would like some better headphones for home, I dont want to be tied to 1 room (or I may as well listen to the Hifi) so I'm looking for portable, I like the look of the Grado SR80's (will have to wait till September when I am in the states again to get these) could someone recommend similar priced alternatives $100-120 or £50-60, I am especially interested in the AKG range and may be able to get them a little cheaper so can go up in price range a little. I am not really interested in the Full size Headphones 701 size but the 400 range look nice, from a practical reason open phones would be better so I can hear the wife when she shouth for/at me
smily_headphones1.gif
but not essential.

My source at the moment is a Creative Zen, with and MP3's mainly for portability (160kps+ I will change bitrates when I can hear the difference) . Music tastes are varied but I like to listen Vocals and acoustic material, Jack Johnson, Diana Krall that type of stuff. I prefer deal to loads of Bass and warm to forward I cant stand anything bright or sibilant. Is that enough info
biggrin.gif

I do intend to go For an amp after a while and have looked at the PA2V2. I have a Fwio on the way just out of curiosity.

If it helps My hi-fi is Marantz CD6000ki Sig, Surround amp in Pass-through to a Pair of MA6100 Mono-block Amps, Driving a Pair for B&W 603 S2's and an ASW 675 (Did I say I want too bothered about Bass
wink.gif
) I love the sound of this setup, OK more detail would be nice but I don’t have a spare £20k to get a worthwhile upgrade.

I know I am probably on the start of a slippery slope to a wallet bashing, but any help you can give me to get the first push will be appreciated.

Paul

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 26
Welcome to Head-Fi.

I can't advise on the AKG 400s as I don't have any experience, but I'd recommend you look at the Alessandro MS1s, as not only do most consider them superior to the Grado SR80s (I certainly do), but you can order them now as they have international shipping. They also will tame those highs a little for you.

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 26
Yes. I even used them straight from an iPod for a year. They're basically a more neutral Grado. On parts they seem to be equal to the SR125 with a slightly less bright tuning. Another option is the Senn HD555.

Both will be brighter than either of your other phones, but the SR60/80/125 would be even more so. They will also grow more with an amp than at least the 60/80.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 26
IMO, the Audio Technica ES7s are sonically superior to the MS-1s and are much more portable. They have the forward mids and detail like the MS-1s, but have much better bass response and better isolation. They don't require an amp, but take to one nicely.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 26
Thanks I will have a look,

Portability is not too high on the list of requirements I just don't fancy huge Phones and isolation is not an issue while listening at home I would actually prefer open phones, I have the E2's for true portability and they give good isolation.

If it helps I am currently listening to a set of borrowed AKG K271 Studio, I don't want anything this big but the sound is Good, They need a bit of driving I had to use a cheap Boosteroo Amp to get enough volume out of my Zen but with a bit of volume I really like the sound. Anyone know if any on the smaller AKG's have a similar sound, preferably easier to drive.

Im definitely going to get a portable amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 26
The Akg K-400 sounds great!

Edit: the K-400 are old headphones and no longer in production.
And should not be confused with the K412P/414/416 mini headphones, which are completely different.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Akg K-400 sounds great!

I can see K412P/414/416 on the site I assume the K416p are the better ones, are they similar/better or something else. I like the look of the K181 & 518 but not sure as they are labeled DJ, do they sound different.

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the Audio Technica ES7s are sonically inferior to the MS-1s but they are much more portable.

Fixed
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 26
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you looked into HD600's?

I do not think my intended source equipment would do a set of 600's any justice whatsoever, but if you can get a set any where near my budget I will pick up a pair up Oct/Nov next time I am in Ann Arbor
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back